Back in Sussex
My usual run:

52236d743bcf3b2df0d9d3f8ac132479.jpg

This morning:

9debe119f5b195ad52c80ae2a611d07c.jpg

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I'm doing the Mel's Milers 10K in Horsham this Sunday. Its pretty flat - starts at Christs's Hospital - mostly along the Dowsn Link to Southwater - around the country park and back again. Last year was very hot so hoping for a bit cooler this year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is that the mind games starting?! After all this marathon training I think it's going to take me a while to get back to sub 21 pace. BigNuts is now off the radar, it's all about the scramble for silver.

Not at all. Last 2 years I have rested far too long after the marathon eating and drinking without any significant weight gain. Then one month becomes another month and then another month and then the belly tyre starts inflating and finally the love handles make an appearance. Then the Ashes begin and I have tickets for 11 days of very competitive drinking.

Next thing it's September and I haven't run since April 12th...........So a NSC challenge in June would be a beneficial target.
Ninja probably has to go sub 19:50 to grab gold but Bignuts could be up for sub 19:30.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sub-21? I don't actually believe that is humanly possible.

I'm in Bristol for work so did a quick run around the floating harbour this morning. Unlike my regular runs at home (first mile down, last mile uphill) it is largely flat.

I tried to not go out too fast, as my usual downhill start always seems to, and thought I'd aim for c9m/miles (my fastest average is 9:16/mile) and it went ok.

It's a nice little lap to run too, although the wet cobbles are very slippery.

5142de7adbce508203bb2f62edec25e1.jpg

I didn't either three months ago but have knocked a minute off my parkrun time this year (in 2 attempts), to 21:09 a couple of weeks back......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Came 22nd today in the Hastings Half Marathon. Had a 3 mile warm up and then planned to run at marathon pace but got carried away and ran 25 seconds a mile faster. Hard to stick to a pace with the up and down course. 1:45:32 in the 55-59 group I forgot to add. Then knee jammed and had to walk the planned 3m run back to the car failing to complete my last long run. Never mind.

Did you start on the line Bobkin as you have a chip time same as start time?

Hat off to you Sir. I don't think that Kenyan fella that won is human though!

I clocked 2-29 - was pleased to be under 2-30 but it's about 6 mins over my best (ive only ran 3 official ones). Absolutely loved the event - the Hastings crowd were amazing and the numbers around the course literally staggering! As for the course itself, well it's obviously very tough. My issue was I started feeling sick on the big down hill and then the last 3 miles were a proper plod! Loved it though although my usual consistency on KMs wasn't there due to the hills!

Some incredible find raising going on. I was behind a couple wheeling their ill daughter round - brought a lump to my throat and made me even more determined to finish. A truely great event...

Not at all. Last 2 years I have rested far too long after the marathon eating and drinking without any significant weight gain. Then one month becomes another month and then another month and then the belly tyre starts inflating and finally the love handles make an appearance. Then the Ashes begin and I have tickets for 11 days of very competitive drinking.

Next thing it's September and I haven't run since April 12th...........So a NSC challenge in June would be a beneficial target.
Ninja probably has to go sub 19:50 to grab gold but Bignuts could be up for sub 19:30.

I'm nowhere near sub-21 - maybe by June, but it's a big ask.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm thinking about entering, the one thing that puts me off is that it's running laps on the promenade, so I feel I might get bored.

Does anyone know of any other races this side of Sussex coming up?

It's only 2 laps - I ran the poppy with 3 laps so will be fine for me...

I've just entered!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Quick question - all info and suggestions v helpful - [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] may be the man with the knowledge on this...

I have a £100 voucher for somewhere. Was going to update my 10yr old ipod nano purely to get an ipod with built in Nike+ so I don't have to lug my iphone around in my pocket (i dont ever look at splits while running)... But it seems as the nano has no GPS, it isn't that accurate to use Nike+ on - is there even an ipod with GPS out there? I'm not going to buy one if I can't use Nike+ on it easily and accurately...

Thanks in advance runners!

Last edited:

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Quick question - all ingo and suggestions v helpful - [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] may be the man with the knowledge on this...

I have a £100 voucher for somewhere. Was going to update my 10yr old ipod nano purely to get an ipod with built in Nike+ so I don't have to lug my iphone around in my pocket (i dont ever look at splits while running)... But it seems as the nano has no GPS, it isn't that accurate to use Nike+ on - is there even an ipod with GPS out there? I'm not going to buy one if I can't use Nike+ on it easily and accurately...

Thanks in advance runners!

simple answer is no there is not. the iPod nano's use accelerometers which aren't very accurate, you have to either go with the phone and get an arm strap... or what i would suggest is do what i do, get an iPod shuffle (£30) and get a running watch.. i use a Garmin Forerunner 220 (£200) because I'm marathon training but if you don't run much then there are a lot of slightly cheaper watches out there. good luck!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
simple answer is no there is not. the iPod nano's use accelerometers which aren't very accurate, you have to either go with the phone and get an arm strap... or what i would suggest is do what i do, get an iPod shuffle (£30) and get a running watch.. i use a Garmin Forerunner 220 (£200) because I'm marathon training but if you don't run much then there are a lot of slightly cheaper watches out there. good luck!

Thanks Shaun. Yeh I usually use my phone but keep in pocket as don't like looking at distance etc. I like to use nike+ as my mates all use it. I assume there's not a watch out there that does nike+?! I have no idea, although I don't want to spend much on one a I don't like lookig at times!

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Thanks Shaun. Yeh I usually use my phone but keep in pocket as don't like looking at distance etc. I like to use nike+ as my mates all use it. I assume there's not a watch out there that does nike+?! I have no idea, although I don't want to spend much on one a I don't like lookig at times!

thats fair enough, I don't like it moving around as i run but if it doesn't bother you then thats all good, and I don't know any watches that use Nike+ either! sorry

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I use Nike+ on my phone along with an armstrap that is designed for my phone. Don't really notice it to be honest, and the armstrap was only about £2 from ebay.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Although the watches like Garmin etc don't use Nike+, there are apps you can get for your phone which can integrate data from different running apps and watches, including Garmin and Nike+.
So I use the free RunGap app which does this, because sometimes I like to run with my phone and listen to music, in which case I use Runkeeper to track my run, and sometimes I like not to be encumbered and I just use my Garmin Forerunner. RunGap integrates the data from both of them into a single activity list (it also works with Nike+ though I don't use that one).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here