Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] signings likely , or needed, in summer ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Shane long might fancy staying in the premier league and moving a few miles up the coast from Soton.

Why should Bournemouth want him and surely he wont want to drop down to Portsmouth? We have bought better in Locadia and short term I would rather have Austin instead of Baldock as the fox in the box.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I wonder if we might see significant changes.

Ryan - Unlikely but we could have a problem with HGP which could cause a rethink.
Suttner - Not displaced Bong and age is against him.
Dunk- If the rumours are true..
Hunemeier - Hard to see him not leaving.
Sidwell - We need a replacement and ideally a HGP player
Hemed - Surely gone.
Baldock - Not PL standard unfortunately.
Kayal - Possibly our last chance to get a fee plus another one who may be sacrificed for a HGP?
Ince - Not up to it.
Towell - See Ince
Ulloa - Not our player but I cannot see us signing him permanently. Wrong side of 30 and not quite good enough.
Rosenior - Age is catching up and will want to play.

I wonder if the scale of the possible changes was a factor in renewing Bruno's contract? Continuity and leadership being deemed more important than his chances of playing? We need unfortunately to begin breaking up this squad and to lower the average age too. Its been a great ride but to stay up next season we will need to up our game while juggling HGP, the budget, and the spending of other teams. It'll be a real challenge IMO. I doubt all of those will go in one season but the process will need starting and there is significant work to be done in my opinion. Recruitment team did a fantastic job last season and regardless of where we finish now are to be commended. Recruiting for a newly promoted team is very difficult and the majority of those brought in have done a good job. Gross in particular has been fantastic and a real find.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wonder if we might see significant changes.

Ryan - Unlikely but we could have a problem with HGP which could cause a rethink.
Suttner - Not displaced Bong and age is against him.
Dunk- If the rumours are true..
Hunemeier - Hard to see him not leaving.
Sidwell - We need a replacement and ideally a HGP player
Hemed - Surely gone.
Baldock - Not PL standard unfortunately.
Kayal - Possibly our last chance to get a fee plus another one who may be sacrificed for a HGP?
Ince - Not up to it.
Towell - See Ince
Ulloa - Not our player but I cannot see us signing him permanently. Wrong side of 30 and not quite good enough.
Rosenior - Age is catching up and will want to play.

I wonder if the scale of the possible changes was a factor in renewing Bruno's contract? Continuity and leadership being deemed more important than his chances of playing? We need unfortunately to begin breaking up this squad and to lower the average age too. Its been a great ride but to stay up next season we will need to up our game while juggling HGP, the budget, and the spending of other teams. It'll be a real challenge IMO. I doubt all of those will go in one season but the process will need starting and there is significant work to be done in my opinion. Recruitment team did a fantastic job last season and regardless of where we finish now are to be commended. Recruiting for a newly promoted team is very difficult and the majority of those brought in have done a good job. Gross in particular has been fantastic and a real find.

Skalak?

Norwood?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Centre midfield needs more quality and to be frank Stephens could be very average next season like the first half of this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Centre midfield needs more quality and to be frank Stephens could be very average next season like the first half of this season.

Best not sign him then.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What about that Leon Bailey at Leverkeusen who maybe wants a move to England ?

Out of our league ? Or were we in touch with him when he was at Genk ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Two more for the list! Bloody hell. Will there be anyone left? :lolol:

In reality, from observing past windows for the Albion and some PL clubs, half the seemingly inadequate players end up staying for various reasons - can't shift so they're loaned out at the last minute, on too good money so they refuse to budge, no offers, club hopes to make silk purse, not ideal but worth keeping as cover and on low wages.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
In reality, from observing past windows for the Albion and some PL clubs, half the seemingly inadequate players end up staying for various reasons - can't shift so they're loaned out at the last minute, on too good money so they refuse to budge, no offers, club hopes to make silk purse, not ideal but worth keeping as cover and on low wages.

I have no doubt it will take more than one window. Its hard however, to see a future for most of the players on that list? TBF that has always been the way of it and its one of the reasons that the same teams don't win season after season for ever. It's hard, nee impossible to build gradually year in year out player by player. We have reached the end of a cycle I think, and will need to begin a rebuilding job while trying to keep a place in the PL. Tough gig.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Players we will hope to keep

Locadia
Murray
Stephens
Kayal
Knocky
Greyhound
Bruno
Izzy
Duffy
Dunk
Godson
That German or is he Austrian full back....He is quite good!
Bong
Ryan....of course
Walton
Krull
Gross
Propper
Honey monster .....If he wants to stay......If not will still love him

Get rid
Ulloa. .....um mm not sure we should buy him
Baldock......love him but he just has not been involved enough
Skalak. ......want to love him but....
March ......controversial I know but he seems unhappy
Who have I forgot......anyway we need...

Two strikers
Defensive midfielder
Gross plus one
Winger

New 3000 capacity cantilever stand above the North Stand.....I can dream

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Players we will hope to keep

Locadia
Murray
Stephens
Kayal
Knocky
Greyhound
Bruno
Izzy
Duffy
Dunk
Godson
That German or is he Austrian full back....He is quite good!
Bong
Ryan....of course
Walton
Krull
Gross
Propper
Honey monster .....If he wants to stay......If not will still love him

Get rid
Ulloa. .....um mm not sure we should buy him
Baldock......love him but he just has not been involved enough
Skalak. ......want to love him but....
March ......controversial I know but he seems unhappy
Who have I forgot......anyway we need...

Two strikers
Defensive midfielder
Gross plus one
Winger

New 3000 capacity cantilever stand above the North Stand.....I can dream

I'd take for now extending the NS 10 rows further back, into the rooms behind.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Just passing on what I've heard, but it did come from someone who would know.

I doubt Solly's agitating for a move.

He's started 17 Premier League matches and come on as sub in a further 13. He's scored 1 goal and created 1 assist.

If he thinks he deserves more game time, he knows what he needs to do.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
CJ's stance was always 'just wait until 01.09.18 then say we have no strikers'.
I believe his next move was an absence from NSC for a few weeks.

I think it was more batting away mad stuff like
- club is trying to do things "on the cheap" -
- club aren't interested in buying a striker, can't afford one or aren't actively trying to buy one.
- I'm fed up with Albion - Why can't we be more like Huddersfield ( or anyone who has signed anyone)
- we really should ditch TB for someone with more cash etc etc. - sack barber, sack hughton etc.

but yep i did have a NSC absence for a couple of weeks in September. All that bloody typing. Exhausting.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You'd like to think we're approaching a season where the club won't try and do it on the cheap.

what exactly do Albion do on "the cheap" precisely ?

Wages ? Transfer fees ?

champwages.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hahaha it's like catnip.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I doubt Solly's agitating for a move.

He's started 17 Premier League matches and come on as sub in a further 13. He's scored 1 goal and created 1 assist.

If he thinks he deserves more game time, he knows what he needs to do.

Agreed, though those stats are misleading. He's scored two goals, unless anyone wants to pretend that he doesn't deserve to be credited with the one he scored on Saturday. And producing the one moment of quality in a game to win a penalty (eg Saints away) is apparently not an assist...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here