Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion U18s v Cambridge Utd U18s, FA Youth Cup 4th Rd, Amex Stadium, Friday - Kick-off 7pm

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Is Mark still getting funded for running his academy at Ardingly College. Good young players there.

Is this the same Mark Beard who used to play for Sheffield United (among others!) back in the day? He was a superb CM as I recall it...

Yep, played for Millwall, Sheff Utd and a number of other clubs - Wikipedia - Mark Beard

I don't know about Ardingly College; I believe he is currently manager of Loxwood as well as being a full-time coach in Albion's academy (I think he coaches the U-15s).

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yep, played for Millwall, Sheff Utd and a number of other clubs - Wikipedia - Mark Beard

I don't know about Ardingly College; I believe he is currently manager of Loxwood as well as being a full-time coach in Albion's academy (I think he coaches the U-15s).

He definitely got funding for an Academy at Ardingly, my mates son went there after being released from the Albion. His son was playing for Loxwoods mens team before he was 18. I remember the Academy used to play some decent teams from big clubs, including the Nike Academy.
http://www.ardingly.com/Mark-Beard

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He definitely got funding for an Academy at Ardingly, my mates son went there after being released from the Albion. His son was playing for Loxwoods mens team before he was 18. I remember the Academy used to play some decent teams from big clubs, including the Nike Academy.
http://www.ardingly.com/Mark-Beard

Mark Beard has now stepped up to be the Albion U-18 assistant coach (to Ian Buckman) after Adam Hinshelwood departed the position to take up a three-year contract as Hastings United's manager - HINSHELWOOD JOINS HASTINGS

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Is Mark still getting funded for running his academy at Ardingly College. Good young players there.

Is this the same Mark Beard who used to play for Sheffield United (among others!) back in the day? He was a superb CM as I recall it...

Mark Beard has now stepped up to be the Albion U-18 assistant coach (to Ian Buckman) after Adam Hinshelwood departed the position to take up a three-year contract as Hastings United's manager - HINSHELWOOD JOINS HASTINGS

Mark Beard has now been appointed joint head coach of Albion's U-18s, alongside Mikey Harris who has moved to Albion after 3 years at Portsmouth - BEARD: PLAYERS SHOULD RELISH YOUTH CUP CHALLENGE

No idea what has happened to Ian Buckman, who was previously head coach.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

An interview with Albion joint U-18 coach Mark Beard, for anyone interested:-

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
An interview with Albion joint U-18 coach Mark Beard, for anyone interested:-

What a journey, Mick McCarthy and Howard Kendell his managers, playing with Ian Rush and Paul McGrath, then coaching in Spain and playing charity matches with Gazza. Also nice words about CH.

Who are the two U18 players that he thinks could play in the first team.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What a journey, Mick McCarthy and Howard Kendell his managers, playing with Ian Rush and Paul McGrath, then coaching in Spain and playing charity matches with Gazza. Also nice words about CH.

Assuming he meant that comment literally, I would have to believe that one of them is Haydon Roberts.

As for the other :shrug: Peter Gwargis? Teddy Jenks? Matt Everitt?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

I assume he was suggesting that he feels a couple of young players could have been involved this year, rather than a couple of U18's.
Presumably he's talking about Connelly and White.

Of his charges, Hayden Roberts has looked the standout for me.

Good interview, that. Very interesting to hear how well the kids did this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here