Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you have a milkman?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes. He charges 81p a pint (I think). We do it because a) it's a British tradition, and b) it's the best form of container recycling as all they do is wash the glass bottles and refill them. Anybody who says they 'care' about the environment and who doesn't like cars but buys milk in plastic containers can go stick their hypocritical heads up their hypocritical arses.

Happy Christmas.
Er.... How is having someone drive round the houses better than having one delivery to a supermarket?

D

Deleted User X18H

We did have a Milko for a while. Until an incident on the very steep part of the Drove in the snow of early 2010.

Shame as the Droveway dairy is only a few hundred yards down the road.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Er.... How is having someone drive round the houses better than having one delivery to a supermarket?

A) They're usually electric vehicles for the house-to-house deliveries. B) You of all people should know how much energy and raw materials are used up in making and then disposing of (and hopefully recycling) single-use plastic containers. Glass milk bottles don't even need to be 'traditionally' recycled, just washed and re-filled. C) Some people drive to a supermarket just to get milk.

However it's a valid point about home deliveries in general. The streets of Britain are now clogged with diesel-powered supermarket delivery vans dropping off single bags of shopping that people have ordered on-line. Another thread perhaps.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not since I was living with my parents as a kid.

A fairly regular irritant was Saturday mornings. My mum and dad would go out shopping, and I'd lay in bed watching Going Live. The doorbell would go, so I'd have to get up, go downstairs and answer it, as it could be a mate. But SOMETIMES it was old Len the milkman, on his rounds to collect his dough. Naturally I never had any money to pay him, and would just have to say "sorry, they're out". Quite often I'd get a weary / dirty look from him, as if it was MY fault. I mean I just live there, I don't pay the bills you miserable old scrote.

I'd close the door and go back to bed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We stopped using a milkman in about 1983 when he kept telling us we owed for groceries which my wife never got from him and also he delivered the milk at aboyg 11.00am and it was on the doorstep until wife got home at 3.30 so in hot weather it went off.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bless.

2ebcf2db714b74346df69ee430d2367e.jpg

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I don't have a milkman but every week I get a fishmonger and a butcher knocking at my door trying to sell me their wares. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I tell them that they are too expensive they still keep coming !
I feel like setting the cat on them!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Yes. Buy most in plastic from the supermarket, but twice a week pay a premium to have milk delivered in a glass pint bottle. Cannot beat downing it all straight from the bottle. Luxury

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I live exactly 5 seconds from a shop, having a milkman would be a tad lazy

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Used to have milk delivered.
This all stopped, basically a number of reasons culminating in where deliveries dwindled to not so much demand, my wife and I starting work well before our milk was delivered (milk sat on doorstep, especially in summer), a spate of slow moving milk floats being re-ended by lorries on the A40 in the early hours and the local Dairy Express closing down.
Sainsbury is our milkman, which is a shame!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here