Someone else using your ST when you can't make it ... [Uh oh. Post 43]

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Why? Happens all the time on here.

The comment was directed at comments being made against club employees. As you well know. The club has made it clear that they will take action against both an individual and NSC if it is deemed necessary by them. NSC's policy is to allow robust debate about club decisions; we also allow criticism of club employees, providing it doesn't include attacks of a personal nature - say, for example and inter alia, by having a pop at an individual's intellect.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We could all supply a phial of SPERM. This will allow DNA testing to ensure the right people are in the right seats but more importantly, could enable the club to CLONE everyone so if they don't turn up, the duplicate STH can be brought out and PLONKED in their seat anyway.

This would also solve the issue over the pretendance.

:thumbsup:

OMG how has this only got two thumbs up, I'm crying at my desk.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It isn't really.

This is possible at the Amex. I've done it (scanned the bar code on my phone, rather than printing the ticket) myself.

The technology is absolutely NOT the issue, here.

Did you just do it as an experiment to see if it would work? Stewards not have anything to say about it? Top work anyways for proving the technology thing :thumbsup:

SAC

May 21, 2014
and Ryanair aren't even losing £10-£15,000,000 a year, for the privilege of being responsible for thousands of first world f**kjobs and their oh so important problems.

Are you really referring to your fellow fans as first world f'uckjobs just because they don't want to be ripped off? People aren't attaching the club for the sake of it, just worried that if fans feel that they are being ripped off or treated badly, those fans could be lost.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did you just do it as an experiment to see if it would work? Stewards not have anything to say about it? Top work anyways for proving the technology thing :thumbsup:

I'm going to clarify a slight detail here (not that I think it makes any technical difference) in that it was the pdf displayed on an iPad that I scanned.

The stewards didn't comments at all.

(I did actually have the printed ticket with me, but it had got crumpled up massively, so I decided to try the image instead.)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm going to clarify a slight detail here (not that I think it makes any technical difference) in that it was the pdf displayed on an iPad that I scanned.

The stewards didn't comments at all.

(I did actually have the printed ticket with me, but it had got crumpled up massively, so I decided to try the image instead.)

Cue further frantic on-the-hoof tweaking of club policy... :lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The comment was directed at comments being made against club employees. As you well know. The club has made it clear that they will take action against both an individual and NSC if it is deemed necessary by them. NSC's policy is to allow robust debate about club decisions; we also allow criticism of club employees, providing it doesn't include attacks of a personal nature - say, for example and inter alia, by having a pop at an individual's intellect.

To be fair, this club employee's only contribution has been to tell us that this useful service has been removed purely because of this thread, and since then has not bothered to come back to update us on plans to improve things. He's made a rod for his own back.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sadly this thread has brought to the club's attention the fact that some are abusing a service by using it in a way it wasn't intended for.
Assuming he is still monitoring this thread, please can Insider let us know how the service is being abused and indeed what the service was intended for...?

Why would anyone have ever wanted to occasionally order in advance a paper copy of their Season Ticket if it wasn't because they couldn't use the seat and wanted to pass it on to a friend, family member or the person using their "shared" Season Ticket....?

There is currently no "secondary market" in BHAFC tickets. There are no ticket touts. All that happens is that each week a % of season ticket holders are unable to attend and some of them pass their ticket on rather than leave the seat empty.

Why all the heavy-handedness and overreaction?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It isn't really.

This is possible at the Amex. I've done it (scanned the bar code on my phone, rather than printing the ticket) myself.

The technology is absolutely NOT the issue, here.

The only time I've used a paper ticket I'd printed off to be scanned was for the Boro beamback - and getting that through the turnstile scanner was a bit of a mission TBH. It took several attempts before it beeped me through, and I certainly wasn't alone in that, as many people in front of me wear having issues too (hence the monster queues to get in). It was like using one of those self-scan machines at Tesco when you're trying to scan through a "reduced" item. Almost always troublesome.

I guess I could have taken a picture of it on my phone and tried waving my phone under the scanner, but going by the paper one, I'm not convinced that would've worked too smoothly either. It was FAR slicker and quicker to have a steward with a scanning gun just scan the PDF image on my phone screen. Worked first time and in I went. Can't we have that instead ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cue further frantic on-the-hoof tweaking of club policy... :lol:

I wouldn't imagine so. Any discussion of the medium by which the bar-code is scanned, is a red herring to this discussion.

If you were buying a one-off print at home ticket, they wouldn't give a toss whether you printed it, or tried to scan your phone, or probably (off the record at least) if somebody else used it.

This is all about providing a bar-code for one match, in lieu of a season ticket activation. THAT is what they are tightening up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It seems the club are really going out of their way to prevent any new fans from getting involved with the club, which will put the club down the pan in the long run. I've introduced lots of new people over the years, some of whom are now season ticket holders, who would never had shelled out £30+ for a ticket.

A bit OTT. The club aren't going out of their way to prevent new fans, all they are doing is making sure the person in whose name the ticket was bought is the person that uses it. They may have turned a blind eye to some things as long as it was not being overly abused but threads like this put a spanner in the works.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
To be fair, this club employee's only contribution has been to tell us that this useful service has been removed purely because of this thread, and since then has not bothered to come back to update us on plans to improve things. He's made a rod for his own back.

I don't disagree with much of what you say. The only point I (and other mods in mod towers) have been seeking to make is that one can criticise the club and, if appropriate, its employees, without resorting to personal comments about the employee. As you have proven.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
A bit OTT. The club aren't going out of their way to prevent new fans, all they are doing is making sure the person in whose name the ticket was bought is the person that uses it. They may have turned a blind eye to some things as long as it was not being overly abused but threads like this put a spanner in the works.
The club have never had control over who uses which ticket - they accepted that, and continue to, because it is not a problem.

This is only about revenue. They obviously think it is in their commercial interest to make it more difficult, rather than easier, for people to share/pass on unused Season Tickets.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Assuming he is still monitoring this thread, please can Insider let us know how the service is being abused and indeed what the service was intended for...?

Why would anyone have ever wanted to occasionally order in advance a paper copy of their Season Ticket if it wasn't because they couldn't use the seat and wanted to pass it on to a friend, family member or the person using their "shared" Season Ticket....?

There is currently no "secondary market" in BHAFC tickets. There are no ticket touts. All that happens is that each week a % of season ticket holders are unable to attend and some of them pass their ticket on rather than leave the seat empty.

Why all the heavy-handedness and overreaction?
Without wading through all 20 pages, I'm surprised people are complaining about empty seats, complaining about the club not wanting to print replacements and not putting the two together. There is a secondary market but not touts as such. Some people who can't use their seat may want to recoup some money by selling their ticket cheap - as seen on here in the past. The club want to sell those potential customers a full price seat. They want to double dip and keep the money for the unoccupied seat as well as sell empty seats at full price. With 4000+ regular empty seats potentially on offer at below face value, that would eat into full price ticket sales. Whether or not it is the right decision or actually maxmises revenue for the club is another issue and you can argue about match day spend or potential new customers until you are blue in the face.

It's a bit like the old software piracy in the 80s argument - just because someone copied a game, doesn't mean they would have bought it if a copy was not available. It is far from guaranteed that someone who would pay £15 to use a ST empty seat would have bought a £35+ seat otherwise. But they may have done and I would suggest that is the crux of the matter for the club. I would suggest lower match day prices would be a better option as the big increase in attendance for the recent game with reduced mate's rates suggests would work. But the prospect of people transferring a ticket for cash means people with genuine reasons will suffer - twas ever thus. Welcome to modern day football.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
What absolute shite.

MoneyMoneyMoney. That's all that matters to the club.

You know if you can't make a game now after you've bought a ticket, you won't get a refund UNLESS YOU PROVIDE EVIDENCE OF EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES.

So yes, say you have an operation booked on the day of a game you bought a ticket for a month in advance, you have to go to the ticket office with a letter from the hospital saying please sir can I have my money back, I'm very sorry I might be costing you 30 quid but this is genuinely a good excuse.

Unbelievable.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

They seem to be going out of the way to ensure that my two ST seats are empty when I cannot attend (which us quite often due to my location) rather than filled with money spending "customers" who would otherwise not attend. I can't see who the winner is here.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
You know if you can't make a game now after you've bought a ticket, you won't get a refund UNLESS YOU PROVIDE EVIDENCE OF EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES.

So yes, say you have an operation booked on the day of a game you bought a ticket for a month in advance, you have to go to the ticket office with a letter from the hospital saying please sir can I have my money back, I'm very sorry I might be costing you 30 quid but this is genuinely a good excuse.

Unbelievable.
How? If you buy a ticket for a gig 6 months in advance and suddenly need an op, do you get your money back?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Without wading through all 20 pages, I'm surprised people are complaining about empty seats, complaining about the club not wanting to print replacements and not putting the two together. There is a secondary market but not touts as such. Some people who can't use their seat may want to recoup some money by selling their ticket cheap - as seen on here in the past. The club want to sell those potential customers a full price seat. They want to double dip and keep the money for the unoccupied seat as well as sell empty seats at full price. With 4000+ regular empty seats potentially on offer at below face value, that would eat into full price ticket sales. Whether or not it is the right decision or actually maxmises revenue for the club is another issue and you can argue about match day spend or potential new customers until you are blue in the face.

It's a bit like the old software piracy in the 80s argument - just because someone copied a game, doesn't mean they would have bought it if a copy was not available. It is far from guaranteed that someone who would pay £15 to use a ST empty seat would have bought a £35+ seat otherwise. But they may have done and I would suggest that is the crux of the matter for the club. I would suggest lower match day prices would be a better option as the big increase in attendance for the recent game with reduced mate's rates suggests would work. But the prospect of people transferring a ticket for cash means people with genuine reasons will suffer - twas ever thus. Welcome to modern day football.
You've answered your own question.

Fans want more people in the stadium and fewer empty seats. It is obviously not "important" like some things are but it is what people want.

They also know they have an acquaintance who will use a free, or much reduced, ticket if invited by them who would never dream of going direct to the club and paying for a full price ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here