Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls programmes - Fanzines

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Just uploaded 19 issues of Scars & Stripes to the website.

It brought back a stack of memories.

By the time it finished, in May 2000, you could argue that it was as good a production as the Official Matchday magazine.

Quite a few of the contributors went on to great things.........................

http://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk/fanzines/4590683254

Page 1.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Those were the days, my friend (cc: [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION], [MENTION=2139]Soul Finger[/MENTION], [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION], [MENTION=1105]Roadrunner[/MENTION] and that David Baddiel lookalike with a camera).

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Those were the days, my friend (cc: [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION], [MENTION=2139]Soul Finger[/MENTION], [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION], [MENTION=1105]Roadrunner[/MENTION] and that David Baddiel lookalike with a camera).

They all helped to keep the fires burning.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Coincidentally, I had to drive my son to Maidstone this morning for a gymnastics comp and was trying to explain to him how on earth we summoned the enthusiasm for watching two seasons of bottom-tier home games in Gillingham…. I look back on those times with a mixture of pride and bewilderment that we actually saw it through. In hindsight, the responsibility of putting together (and selling) Scars and Stripes must have made things a little more bearable. They were, perversely, some of the most memorable times in my Albion watching history, shared with a great bunch of people.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I don't know how many people know this, but the first Dutch Seagulls magazine was recently finished. Would this be something you would upload to the site? (articles are in Dutch, but still all about the Albion).

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Coincidentally, I had to drive my son to Maidstone this morning for a gymnastics comp and was trying to explain to him how on earth we summoned the enthusiasm for watching two seasons of bottom-tier home games in Gillingham…. I look back on those times with a mixture of pride and bewilderment that we actually saw it through. In hindsight, the responsibility of putting together (and selling) Scars and Stripes must have made things a little more bearable. They were, perversely, some of the most memorable times in my Albion watching history, shared with a great bunch of people.

Despite the utter shite on the pitch, many of us forged lifelong friendships during the 'troubles'.

There was an amazing camaraderie among all the Albion fans who made the schlep each fortnight. I look back with pride too.

The one pervading thought I always recall is that we all simply had to go to games at Gillingham. If we hadn't, the club would have died - simple as that.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Despite the utter shite on the pitch, many of us forged lifelong friendships during the 'troubles'.

There was an amazing camaraderie among all the Albion fans who made the schlep each fortnight. I look back with pride too.

The one pervading thought I always recall is that we all simply had to go to games at Gillingham. If we hadn't, the club would have died - simple as that.

Abso-bloody-lutely. I've made so many wonderful friendships because of Gillingham. I couldn't agree more with the last sentence too - I do feel unashamedly like it was a badge of honour.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I will say it quietly but I enjoyed those seasons at Gillingham. Obviously didn't want it to be forever but fun nevertheless. It was my kids' formative Albion watching years so I look back on great family days out. It probably helped that we lived in Surrey as well so the journey wasnt that bad. Many of the away days during those times were fantastic as well.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
[MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION], programmes have become more and more like magazines in recent years and with a price to match. A lot of the information doesn't really interest me as it is readily available online. I seem to remember people on here mentioning an away trip to Carlisle where an old style programme was produced ie team sheets, a few articles and some stats and info on the away team. Quite apart from anything else, such a thinner format would mean you would be able to stick it in your pocket !
Any chance BHA could move in this direction ? (I'm assuming you have some input into the official programme or have some 'contacts').

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here