Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SMOKER barbecues

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
300x300px-LS-c2d996ca_Char-GrillerSmokinProCharcoalGrill2_full.jpeg

*you need to read this with a deep southern drawl*

Ok, so I got me one of these here offset barbecue SMOKERS, which I'm going to use for the first time tomorrow. I got me a nice meaty rack of pork ribs, which is currently marinading in the fridge overnight with a smokey pork rib sauce, hand-rubbed in DEEP. Got me some hickory flavoured woodchip which I'll be soakin' and a-slingin' in that there firebox, along with some briquettes and charcoal lumpwood. And then I got me some kick-ass "Slap Ma Mama" sauce to paste on that there hog halfway through.

I figure it'll be needin' 3-4 hours of cooking before that there meat is just falling off the bone, infused with my redneck hickory smoke. Yes Cleetus, I KNOW I need a bowl of water in that there main chamber to keep it humid and moist, so it don't doggone go dry out on me. I ain't stoopid.

But anyone else on this here NS of C got any offest BBQ smoker tips and experience they'd like to kindly impart ?

Much obliged, y'all.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Which one have you bought ?

If it's the Char-Griller then you might need to make some modifications as they leak Smoke and heat like a sieve .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Ok, so I got me one of these here offset barbecue SMOKERS, which I'm going to use for the first time tomorrow. I got me a nice meaty rack of pork ribs, which is currently marinading in the fridge overnight with a smokey pork rib sauce, hand-rubbed in DEEP. Got me some hickory flavoured woodchip which I'll be soakin' and a-slingin' in that there firebox, along with some briquettes and charcoal lumpwood. And then I got me some kick-ass "Slap Ma Mama" sauce to paste on that there hog halfway through.

I figure it'll be needin' 3-4 hours of cooking before that there meat is just falling off the bone, infused with my redneck hickory smoke. Yes Cleetus, I KNOW I need a bowl of water in that there main chamber to keep it humid and moist, so it don't doggone go dry out on me. I ain't stoopid.

But anyone else on this here NS of C got any offest BBQ smoker tips and experience they'd like to kindly impart ?

Much obliged, y'all.

Nice bit of kit you have there, Billy Bob.

A couple of tips, since you ask. I'd use pellets rather than briquettes, chunks rather than chips, and cook it overnight. 3-4 hours will just about do it, but 8-10 will be even better; using pellets and chunks will mean that it will stay alight the whole time without the need for a 2am alarm call.

Mind you, it'll only add 5-10% extra smokey, meaty goodness - your suggested process will deliver excellent results! Enjoy.

Oh, y'all.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Much obliged, y'all.
I am very jealous.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

A couple of tips, since you ask. I'd use pellets rather than briquettes, chunks rather than chips, and cook it overnight. 3-4 hours will just about do it, but 8-10 will be even better; using pellets and chunks will mean that it will stay alight the whole time without the need for a 2am alarm call.

Mind you, it'll only add 5-10% extra smokey, meaty goodness - your suggested process will deliver excellent results! Enjoy.

Oh, y'all.

The pellet ones are far too automated , man likes to routinely check, poke and add fresh wood chunks .

As for smoking, once the meat "barks" it doesn't take anymore smoke to the meat .

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The pellet ones are far too automated , man likes to routinely check, poke and add fresh wood chunks .

As for smoking, once the meat "barks" it doesn't take anymore smoke to the meat .

Yes, I was forgetting that some (no, nearly all) men actively enjoy the fire-keeping element of the whole thing. Personally, I'm generally focussed purely on the end product, rather than the process too, but I accept I'm in a tiny minority.

Re barking: yep, you're right, of course, but if you smoke long and slow, it takes much longer for the meat to bark and thus the smoke penetrates much deeper. Quite often, faster smokes result in surface-level smokiness only. All imo, ofc.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which one have you bought ?

If it's the Char-Griller then you might need to make some modifications as they leak Smoke and heat like a sieve .

The one in the pic, it is indeed a Char-Griller. I've not used the smoker yet, but had no probs getting the grill up to 220+ when closing the lid doing a normal BBQ, leakage didn't seem much of an issue.

Oh, y'all.

Cheers chap. I'm going to try various methods. Todays fuel will be a combo of briquettes and lumpwood to get things going, then wood to maintain it, and will aim for a constant 220-ish degrees through meddling with the airflow. Not sure about pulling an all-nighter though. Pissing about with it all afternoon will be half the fun. :thumbsup:

I know from first hand experience that [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] is the type of MAN who is more than capable of being up all night :love::smokin:

I'm up all night with Shane Duffy. Always eventful.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure what the hell is going on here, but I don't recall seeing the annual "gas or charcoal?" poll and debate.

It feels like we've skipped the traditional opening of the NSC BBQ season and gone straight to advanced strategies and I, for one, am not happy about it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'm smoking s pork loin this afternoon as it happens.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The one in the pic, it is indeed a Char-Griller. I've not used the smoker yet, but had no probs getting the grill up to 220+ when closing the lid doing a normal BBQ, leakage didn't seem much of an issue.

Cheers chap. I'm going to try various methods. Todays fuel will be a combo of briquettes and lumpwood to get things going, then wood to maintain it, and will aim for a constant 220-ish degrees through meddling with the airflow. Not sure about pulling an all-nighter though. Pissing about with it all afternoon will be half the fun. :thumbsup:

I'm up all night with Shane Duffy. Always eventful.

Glad to hear you've had no leakage issues, every vid I saw on YouTube for these had the owner moaning about how many mods they'd had to make (even re panel beat it) just stop smoke leaking , particularly from the hinges.

Actually put me off getting one so went with a Webber instead .

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Quick tip , if you do slow cook brisket etc get a trigger spray bottle of apple cider vinegar and spray the meat every hour until you're happy with the bark and tin foil wrap it . Keeps it nice and juicy

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Dang me that sure does look mighty fine! Figure as I may need to mosey on over to that there tradin' post and get me some smokin' action.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
May I ask, where did you get those meaty ribs? Hopefully not on the plains of West Virginia but somewhere closer to home..[emoji6]

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

The meat counter at Tesco. A very fine slab of PORKAGE, which I smoked over 4 hours with hickory woodchip, and sprayed liberally with applejuice. The meat just fell off the bone.

Scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here