Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Scottish teams join the EFL?

Should Scottish teams compete in the EFL?

• Yes

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 171 85.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Celtic and Rangers with premier league money would make it even more difficult for clubs the size of Brighton to hit the big time. It was very difficult for us anyway. If we hadn't have done it this season, who knows with FFP, parachute payments, when we would have competed again
This, eventually they would go up the league's and then why send 2-300 mill north of the border and deny that money to teams currently in league. The only reason they lobby to join is for free money they haven't earnt. The rest of the divisions have the majority for 100 odd years of toil. Why not just reduce the premier by 2 and send the extra 100s of millions down the league structure! Far better for our league's.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Why not FFS ?
We have Welsh teams in the Premier League and English Football League AND an English team (Berwick Rangers) playing in the the Scottish Leagues.
Perhaps it would benefit football in both countries to have a couple of Scottish clubs competing on a level playing field with Englands best, not to mention that the atmosphere would be terrific against either Rangers or Celtic with a guaranteed 50/60,000 away crowd every time !
Because for one thing they want INDEPENDENCE from the UK, so why the hell should they play football with us?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Frankie Boyle on HIGNFY last night.

Forest Green Rovers have an organic playing surface which is regularly spread with cow manure. If they put anymore shit on the pitch, they will be able to join the Scottish Premiership :lolol:

spanishdave

Jul 30, 2013
Hove
It would be very interesting but I could not see Celtic ever wanting to throw away their chances of trophies and champions league football.

Stick Swansea and Cardiff in the scottish league instead, that'll spice things up!:D

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Perhaps a lot of them are proud of their league and traditions (something the English FA has done its level best to ruin in the last 20 years). You don't see many wanting to disband the national team and team up with England. It may be smaller than ours and the big two may want a slice of the pie, but the Scottish FA has a proud tradition as long as the English.

It's this sort of stuff coming from down south that winds them up a lot. We English don't help ourselves sometimes with them. It amazes me how some of us are baffled why they are chippy.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I'm so far up North, I'm so far up North, I think I'm in Scotland, I'm so far up North.....Frankie Fryer (spoof Danny Dyer from Soccer AM) sang this classic when visiting some grim Northern heap. Kind of implies that he would have overshot his destination had he actually reached Scotland, and to be fair, playing Scottish clubs would be a step (very many steps) too far. Outside the top clubs football in Scotland is watched by three men and a dog and even they are outnumbered by the sheep. It's a no from me.....

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Why don't they (the Romans in charge) bring the Scottish border south to Hadrian's Wall?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Or perhaps one UK league for all UK nations?
Precisely why I say 'No', it would be the thin end of a very nasty wedge. Having a single UK League will then create pressure for a single UK FA, and a single British football team. I as an Englishman wouldn't want that, and I'm sure the Welsh and Scots wouldn't like to see their nations subsumed into a 'Greater England' (Northern Ireland should of course join with the Republic the same as they do for cricket, Rugby and indeed almost any other sport).

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Why does this crop up every season? Whether the Scottish Premium is shit or fantastic it's still Scottish. The only time I want to see us playing a competitive match against a jock team is if we've qualified for Europe. Would be better if the jocks could sort out their own dysfunctional league and make it a tad more competitive tbh

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
We have enough teams so maybe we/fa should be more concerned with the amount of clubs under threat of going in administration than adding more teams that will put even more strain on finances with further travelling etc

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry, but I do have to just wonder if the OP understands exactly what the 'E' in EFL stands for? Because I think that is crucial when considering if Scottish teams would play in it. Time to put this thread to bed now, I think..................

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Sorry, but I do have to just wonder if the OP understands exactly what the 'E' in EFL stands for? Because I think that is crucial when considering if Scottish teams would play in it. Time to put this thread to bed now, I think..................

Mate, the last comment before yours was nearly 6 hours ago. You've just bumped this thread the top of the page...

And yes, obviously I understand what the 'E' means. It means ' Everybody's '

Having worked with many celtic fans up north, I do like to ponder on how Celtic would manage in the PL. And if I have had a few drinks, I may feel inclined to make silly thread polls about things that will likely never happen..just to see what others think. :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mate, the last comment before yours was nearly 6 hours ago. You've just bumped this thread the top of the page...

And yes, obviously I understand what the 'E' means. It means ' Everybody's '

Having worked with many celtic fans up north, I do like to ponder on how Celtic would manage in the PL. And if I have had a few drinks, I may feel inclined to make silly thread polls about things that will likely never happen..just to see what others think. :thumbsup:
Well, actually the thread did have a bit of bump this afternoon, which is what brought my attention back to it. Actually I think the thread has generated quite a lot of interesting, considered responses (including some of my own), so sorry if it's upset you, but I think it probably is time to gently put it to bed - no offence intended.

But as for 'E' standing for 'Everybody's'.................................:thumbsup:.......:lol: ....and.......:facepalm: !
Enjoy that drink!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
There could be a northern Premier League, teams north of London, to include the jocks and a southern Premier League, London and the south, to include the Welsh.
Then the top two teams in each can have a play off for an ultimate final at Wembley.
How's that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here