Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley preparing another bid for Stephens (but probably bollox Twitter rumour)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If we keep Stephens , would we see him less inclined to be flying into tackles as the season gets into the business end.

An injury could scupper any dream move.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If he wants to go and we can get 8m plus then let him go. Would rather have someone who wants to play for us.

I have not seen anything over the last 6 months to suggest he doesn't want to play for us, clearly he has not adversely effected the dressing room and has won us points to put us where we are. We need to keep our best players to keep where we are. And as for those twats booing him when he was warming up back in the autumn they can *** right off.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I genuinely don't see the need for us to sign Stephens, for the first time in a good while we've got options in the centre of midfield (until last August we hadn't paid a transfer fee for a CM since 2012), our main weakness is creativity on the flanks. Given that Dyche is back to 442 I'd expect us to be looking at a winger or such.

Even then I couldn't see why Stephens would leave, he's seems a staple player in a team looking like they will get promoted. Would have thought he'd want to consider his options in the summer when the situation is a bit clearer.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I have not seen anything over the last 6 months to suggest he doesn't want to play for us, clearly he has not adversely effected the dressing room and has won us points to put us where we are. We need to keep our best players to keep where we are. And as for those twats booing him when he was warming up back in the autumn they can *** right off.

Neither have i, he has got on with the job he's paid to do, but he publicly stated he wanted to leave.
With presumably Burnley pulling at the duvet again, be interested to see if he comes out and publicly states that he's happy with where he is and wants to achieve HIS premiership dream with Brighton & Hove Albion ...... i want to see players that we pay to watch play for our club be fully committed, if not they can fvck off.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Neither have i, he has got on with the job he's paid to do, but he publicly stated he wanted to leave.
With presumably Burnley pulling at the duvet again, be interested to see if he comes out and publicly states that he's happy with where he is and wants to achieve HIS premiership dream with Brighton & Hove Albion ...... i want to see players that we pay to watch play for our club be fully committed, if not they can fvck off.

Where does it say Burnley are pulling at the duvet? It's one obscure fake transfer account on Twitter who have rehashed a summer rumour.

BurgerNips

Apr 19, 2016
I would think that he would cost most of that well over 50% IMHO we would be better off looking at Grant Lidbetter of Middlesbro or Bradley Johnson at Derby.

Johnson isn't hughtons sort of player at all, lidbetter is a good shout but I just think cairney is his kind of player and would fit straight in our squad?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Publicly he stated it was his desire to play in the premier league which, with us, was thwarted by Mike Dean. At the start of the season he had interest from a prem team so not surprisingly he was hoping he could go there. If we get promoted then I provided we offer the right salary I don't see why he wouldn't stay. As for the rest of your post, surely you are aware that all players are employees. Over the last 5 months the only player I've seen not trying in a match was KLL. Some people seem easily fooled by the old kiss the badge routine.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I understand the sentiment but I feel you're being a bit precious. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care about public pronouncements which may or may more be a complete fabrication anyway. What I want is for our players to be 100% committed on the pitch while they are under contract, and results suggest that is exactly what we've got. Regardless, Stephens will know that he is 5 or 6 months away from a stab at the Premier League and wealth beyond his wildest dreams. In the meantime, he's playing brilliantly at a well run club in a squad that is set for the Premier League anyway. I can't imagine he's about to do anything that will disrupt that situation.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Publicly he stated it was his desire to play in the premier league which, with us, was thwarted by Mike Dean. At the start of the season he had interest from a prem team so not surprisingly he was hoping he could go there. If we get promoted then I provided we offer the right salary I don't see why he wouldn't stay. As for the rest of your post, surely you are aware that all players are employees. Over the last 5 months the only player I've seen not trying in a match was KLL. Some people seem easily fooled by the old kiss the badge routine.

Please, stop blaming Mike Dean for us not getting promoted, its embarrassing.

As for him wanting to stay with Brighton hasn't he stated that he and his family wanted to move back up north?

I'm also aware of that they are employers, but if one of my employers came out stating that he wanted to move to rival company for a higher wage and was miffed that i'd put a stop to it, i wouldn't be 100% sure his heart was in it. would you?

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Even if Stephens were not to leave, I would sign Cairney tomorrow, young good on the ball, just the sort of player we would need for the Premier. Doubt Fulham would sell and I'd say he would coat £8M given the silly figures about.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Stephens I think would want to now see his contract out then if we go up he might sign a new contract with us or another club if we don't go up then he goes no transfer fee so a bigger signing on fee for the player and his agent

Tony is no mug we all know that he might choose to cash in while he still can Stephens is a very good player but everyone has a price
You still don't get it. Dale's price would have to be enormous and no club is going to offer it with his contract up in 6 months. More to the point Tony is not going to sell Dale precisely because he is no mug.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
As if Hughton is going to tell the famous Andy Naylor "I'm going to stick with the club policy of keeping all transfer dealings behind closed doors but yeah we're interested in signing him, hopefully he'll come. As long as no other club finds out we're trying to buy him, then we're in with a chance. Anyways, I've got to go. Have a good day Andy"

perhaps not but why did the club tweet this...

[tweet]817082867729698817[/tweet]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

As for him wanting to stay with Brighton hasn't he stated that he and his family wanted to move back up north?

I'm also aware of that they are employers, but if one of my employers came out stating that he wanted to move to rival company for a higher wage and was miffed that i'd put a stop to it, i wouldn't be 100% sure his heart was in it. would you?

And if that employee was one of your best and key to one of your major targets (or contracts) would you still be so glib about getting rid? There are probably hundreds of footballers who put 100% effort into each game but that does not mean they can't look to play at a higher level and if that didn't come to fruition it would be natural to be disappointed. Regards Stephens, when has he appeared not to put in 100% effort when wearing the kit? I think TB is far more pragmatic!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Why is it embarrassing. An offside goal, changing a yellow to a red. Glad you you're happy to blame someone else, good for you.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Please, stop blaming The Complete And Utter Shyster for us not getting promoted, its embarrassing.

Surely he was an integral part of why we didn't achieve promotion, of course people will hold on to it.

Rumoured at Charlton, before he moved 70 miles south. Since then we've learned his family are quite settled here.

He hasn't said he wants to move to a rival company for a higher wage though has he? He said it's all players dream to play in the PL which we are currently on course to be a part of. Stop likening this shit to standard jobs.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Surely he was an integral part of why we didn't achieve promotion, of course people will hold on to it.

Rumoured at Charlton, before he moved 70 miles south. Since then we've learned his family are quite settled here.

He hasn't said he wants to move to a rival company for a higher wage though has he? He said it's all players dream to play in the PL which we are currently on course to be a part of. Stop likening this shit to standard jobs.

Dean wasn't the only factor was it, let it go FFS its pathetic.

If his family are quite settled down here then why would he want to uproot them and move up to that northern p!ss hole?
At the beginning of the season when he wanted the move i would say Burnley were up there in being one of the favourites to come back down again.

Agreed , i think most players would want to play in the PL wouldn't they, how many go public with it like he did?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here