Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supreme Court

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I voted to leave the club. The club has its rules and I still wanted to leave.

When I left my rugby club I gave up my discount ale and food vouchers and discount facility for 6 nations tickets.
I did not ask to keep my privileges because they were part of the club package. I got over it ☺

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Except it doesn't work like that because we have 40 odd years of cohabiting to unravel and the process of leaving, Article 50, actually requires both sides to talk to each other, not walk away. Like all negotiations there will be areas where agreement is reached amicably and quickly and others where views are more entrenched and compromises are going to be needed to reach a deal.

We voted to tell the missus we're leaving, that's the easy part. How both sides are going disengage from each other is the messy part of the divorce.

Except it doesn't work like that because we have 40 odd years of cohabiting to unravel and the process of leaving, Article 50, actually requires both sides to talk to each other, not walk away. Like all negotiations there will be areas where agreement is reached amicably and quickly and others where views are more entrenched and compromises are going to be needed to reach a deal.

We voted to tell the missus we're leaving, that's the easy part. How both sides are going disengage from each other is the messy part of the divorce.
You cannot negotiate with the EU. They do not want diplomacy. The EU is a corrupt boys club and originally had no article 50 for leaving because that was not an option. It was made up on the hoof.

The EU is nothing without its members. We have jumped and others will follow.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The problem is some think it is that simple, if you read the Express and the Mail enough, eventually you buy the bile

The fact is no way on this planet that a majority of the UK citizens want to leave the single market, and as the economy stagnates in 2017 the case for this will only get stronger and stronger.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
You cannot negotiate with the EU. They do not want diplomacy. The EU is a corrupt boys club and originally had no article 50 for leaving because that was not an option. It was made up on the hoof.

The EU is nothing without its members. We have jumped and others will follow.

Reality will be dictating that the government will be following the process of Article 50 whether you like it or not.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...The fact is no way on this planet that a majority of the UK citizens want to leave the single market, and as the economy stagnates in 2017 the case for this will only get stronger and stronger.

That isn't actually a FACT is it? You just made it up, didn't you?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The problem is some think it is that simple, if you read the Express and the Mail enough, eventually you buy the bile

The fact is no way on this planet that a majority of the UK citizens want to leave the single market, and as the economy stagnates in 2017 the case for this will only get stronger and stronger.

Quite.

It would only require 4% of those who voted for Brexit, to prefer the 'soft' Brexit option over a 'hard' Brexit, for presumably the majority of the population to prefer the 'soft' Brexit option.

We know for a fact that some people who voted for Brexit would prefer a 'soft' Brexit, it is very likely that at least 1 in 25 Brexit voters feel the same. Therefore it is very likely that the majority of the population would prefer a soft Brexit.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
How do you know whether people who are moaning did or didn't vote ? You've made that bit up.

Well fair enough if that is the case that those who did not vote are not complaining then what is the point of the government taking their view into account seems a pointless exercise is it not?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
That isn't actually a FACT is it? You just made it up, didn't you?

Obviously not 'facts' as such. But there is an evidence based case to be made that if the vote was re-run now the remain vote would win.

brexit vote now.jpg

(that'll get things going!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and it seems clear many are willfully misrepresenting the situation. the reason we've having a court case is because its not explicit either way whether the PM has the authority or not to write a letter.

In some respects this is irrelevant. I cannot think of one single reason why it will not be utterly reckless to allow a single person to decide what the post-Brexit landscape will look like. One of the reasons Parliament exists is to provide check and balance on such issues. Surely any normal person would agree?

That said, to me it is pretty explicit. And the court case was not brought about because it is unclear, more because May is attempting to side step British law.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Obviously not 'facts' as such. But there is an evidence based case to be made that if the vote was re-run now the remain vote would win.

View attachment 79996

(that'll get things going!)

"Coffin manufacturers up norf in post Brexit boom" says the Daily Express

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The judges are simply making a decision on whether or not the law of the land is being followed.

If the government wants to change that law ( for whatever reason ) they can of course do so through Parliament.

It really is very clear, although there appears to be a lot of muddled thinking on this issue.

It's good to see someone understands what really is a simple, democratic concept.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Quite.

It would only require 4% of those who voted for Brexit, to prefer the 'soft' Brexit option over a 'hard' Brexit, for presumably the majority of the population to prefer the 'soft' Brexit option.

We know for a fact that some people who voted for Brexit would prefer a 'soft' Brexit, it is very likely that at least 1 in 25 Brexit voters feel the same. Therefore it is very likely that the majority of the population would prefer a soft Brexit.

You make a big assumption that many of the Brexiters knew what they were even voting for in the first place.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I voted to leave the club. The club has its rules and I still wanted to leave.

When I left my rugby club I gave up my discount ale and food vouchers and discount facility for 6 nations tickets.
I did not ask to keep my privileges because they were part of the club package. I got over it ☺

RUGBY!!!!

That explains it all! :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The last 3 ***three*** Prime ministers all have been Scottish or have roots north of our (for those that are little Englanders) ancient wall........might i suggest? that things will return to normal now regardless of Brexit :lol:

Jan 30, 2008
We voted for a divorce, we did not vote for a settlement. That has to be decided and that involves the government getting the best deal for the nation for EVERYBODY who lives in it. Something you need to understand.
You're living in la la land , there's always going to be people that aren't happy with the exit , Government could spend ages trying to get the Best results to please but the Fact is some people wont like it , we need to go in hard and call the shots from the off
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here