Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Welcome to Newhaven Upon Ouse!

If only they put on a fast ferry on the route like they had in the early noughties. It grieves me each year when we go to the Vendee that our journey begins with a drive of nearly 60 miles in the wrong direction to Dover when it could be a 20 or so mile one to Newhaven.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If only they put on a fast ferry on the route like they had in the early noughties. It grieves me each year when we go to the Vendee that our journey begins with a drive of nearly 60 miles in the wrong direction to Dover when it could be a 20 or so mile one to Newhaven.

We go to the Vendee, but use the Tunnel so start at Folkestone.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's no good trying to pretend that Newhaven is even close to being an OK town. It isn't. The town centre is an absolute disgrace - probably the worst in Sussex; the area around the stations and the ferry dock is a disgrace; the "retail park" looks like a wasteland. Awful, just awful.

Before catching the train to the Amex for the Preston match I was standing on the footbridge at Newhaven Harbour station admiring the scenery :p

It's a working port what are you expecting to see? There are also lots of industrial estates in the central area, but they employ many people, I've noticed a few new businesses moving to the town recently.

The town centre is a disgrace but there is no free parking in the car parks unlike Peacehaven, I'm told the rents on the shops are very expensive.

I live on the outskirts of the town and it's not a bad place to live, a very short walk takes me into countryside, but I can also walk to Newhaven Town station in about 15 minutes.
When the trains are running it's very easy to get to the Amex, there are also plenty of pubs and 2 social clubs within 5 minutes walk of the station.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The apartment blocks are also not looking too good at the moment, not sure what's happening but they are all covered in scaffolding, looks like a problem with the rendering.

Some blocks in Lewes were built a few years ago and within a year or two of being built the scaffolding was up,when i questioned the builder it was rendering...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't exaggerate. Nobody is pretending it is very good, but it isn't as bad as you paint it either. A lot of high streets are bad now, as people can travel so easily. I can go on the bus to Eastbourne or Brighton within 35-40 minutes, shop in Lewes or Seaford, but the view outside my house is glorious. I can see for miles, yet I am just a few minutes from the sea.
The house prices are affordable compared to neighbouring towns, and when the trains run, very accessible to the rest of the country.
I also like it that people smile and say good morning when they pass you.

so the highest praise you have for the town is that you can leave for neighbouring towns :lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nouveau Havre ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
so the highest praise you have for the town is that you can leave for neighbouring towns :lolol:

Not if you can read. I said I can shop in a variety of towns. The praise was for the vicinity of beautiful countryside, proximity of the Downs & the sea.
I hope you can understand words of more than one syllable.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Before catching the train to the Amex for the Preston match I was standing on the footbridge at Newhaven Harbour station admiring the scenery :p

It's a working port what are you expecting to see? There are also lots of industrial estates in the central area, but they employ many people, I've noticed a few new businesses moving to the town recently.

The town centre is a disgrace but there is no free parking in the car parks unlike Peacehaven, I'm told the rents on the shops are very expensive.

I live on the outskirts of the town and it's not a bad place to live, a very short walk takes me into countryside, but I can also walk to Newhaven Town station in about 15 minutes.
When the trains are running it's very easy to get to the Amex, there are also plenty of pubs and 2 social clubs within 5 minutes walk of the station.

I always feel that Newhaven could make so much more of its locality. That ring road around the centre didn't help.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I always feel that Newhaven could make so much more of its locality. That ring road around the centre didn't help.

Horrible traffic system, I don't really like driving but I work locally and have to carry tools and materials in my van, I try not to drive when I'm not working.
There is often gridlock in Newhaven when there is an accident, and it's snarled up for ages after a bridge opening.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not if you can read. I said I can shop in a variety of towns. The praise was for the vicinity of beautiful countryside, proximity of the Downs & the sea.
I hope you can understand words of more than one syllable.

:cry: blimey, people dont half get touchy about Newhaven. :cheery:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here