Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police seek man who "repeatedly punched" cyclist on Brighton seafront

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I’ll say here though, I have little sympathy for some of the lycra-clad power rangers in mirror sunglasses who I see BOMBING along that lane sometimes. Cycle lane or not you have to ride to the conditions and make allowances for the fact you WILL have a lot of people wandering out in front of you along that stretch of the seafront. Some of them are just asking for trouble.

Great point. Whilst I am amazed at the number of people who casually stroll into these lanes, at busy times cyclists must ride slower.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
Where's the video then, I enjoy seeing cyclists get a clump, even better if they think they're in the tour de f*****g France. A particular favourite of mine was the bloke in the Audi, you know the one.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Which is a shame, as no self respecting roadie should be hammering down a cycle path.
I'll question the 25mph but that's a moot point as I accept some will be too fast for a 'shared' area.

The real annoyance being the frenzied drivers apoplectic about a cyclist riding on the road at 25 mph.
Were they in your position I have no doubt the same man would be equally (and justifiably) raged about the cyclist not being on the road.

There are indeed always to sides to any story but honestly, pitch up anytime between 8 and 9am on a bench on Worthing seafront and see the pace of some of these riders, someone ( else ) will be seriously injured before too long.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
If you're not used to cycle lanes then it's easy to forget the lane is there, especially on that part of the seafront. The onus is on the cyclist to ride at a sensible speed, if I'm driving my car down a busy street I do it at 15mph at the absolute most in case a pedestrian steps out.

This with bells on!

Many, in fact I would say most, people are oblivious to them even though they are marked. Lets also not forget there are many tourists on front in middle of Brighton, even if locals should know better by now.

In other countries where there have been cycle lanes forever (e.g. Sweden) everyone is educated from birth to be careful.

Onus must be on cyclists to keep speed right down in busy areas where there are pedestrians and not get aggressive/abusive if somebody unintentionally happens to walk on the wrong part of the pavement.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This with bells on!

Many, in fact I would say most, people are oblivious to them even though they are marked. Lets also not forget there are many tourists on front in middle of Brighton, even if locals should know better by now.

In other countries where there have been cycle lanes forever (e.g. Sweden) everyone is educated from birth to be careful.

Onus must be on cyclists to keep speed right down in busy areas where there are pedestrians and not get aggressive/abusive if somebody unintentionally happens to walk on the wrong part of the pavement.

Ha ha - that may be where the onus lies but cyclists, especially those of the lycra suited, shaven legged racing variety, can be extraordinarily rude and aggressive and under these circumstances sometimes deserve a good clump...imho.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Ha ha - that may be where the onus lies but cyclists, especially those of the lycra suited, shaven legged racing variety, can be extraordinarily rude and aggressive and under these circumstances sometimes deserve a good clump...imho.
Very true, much like those bloody runners who seem to believe that anyone that stands in the way of their latest time is a mortal enemy.

Put another way, the more seriously you take your hobby the greater the chance of you being a bit of a tit about it.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Also have to watch out for the people who have just crossed the road at the pelican crossings, and carry on striding purposefully straight into the cycle lane without bothering to look.
Off course you could always try and find out what those backwards triangles mean at every crossing, carefully painted in the cycle lane. Then you may realise that its not the people who are meant to stop. But then a cyclist taking notice of a road sign, as proven by your comment, is a rare thing.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Off course you could always try and find out what those backwards triangles mean at every crossing, carefully painted in the cycle lane. Then you may realise that its not the people who are meant to stop. But then a cyclist taking notice of a road sign, as proven by your comment, is a rare thing.

Interesting signature. Who are they?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Cyclists are too busy avoiding blind pedestrians and avoiding being killed by every 4th driver. People don't know how to drive nowadays.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

:rolleyes: Was waiting for that.

I'm a motorist, cyclist and pedestrian, usually all in the same day and tend to err on the side of caution in each mode.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
To be honest, I'd barely given them a second thought. Maybe pedestrians do have "right of way" to walk straight out across the cycle lanes after they've crossed at a pelican crossing ? Although it seems a bit of a nonsense to me. Shirley its far easier for someone to briefly check left and right and just pause their stride for a moment to allow a bike to go past, than it is for a cyclist to come to a full stop there and let people cross in front of them before getting going again.

Nearer the pier after the pelican crossings the cyclists should give way to the pedestrians, its clearly marked as give way on the cycle lane. They never do. I take my 20 month daughter walking along the prom all the time. Because I am with her I am very vigilant and aware of cyclist and pedestrians. From what I have witnessed the pedestrians do wonder a lot into the cycle lane oblivious to the potential danger. However I think the majority of people at this end of the prom are tourists and generally not aware of the cycle lanes. I do see a lot of cyclists appearing to think they are sprinting along the last section of the tour de france and cycling in a frankly dangerous fashion not appearing to be aware of unpredictable pedestrians. I am frankly amazed no ones been killed.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The main thing with bike lanes is that we have not been "programmed" to deal with them. They are not part of our dna. After many decades of having just a road and pavement, we now have these extra lanes, and in some cases extra pavements to contend with. I dropped my missus off in the Drive the other day. She got out and stood on the pavement but forgot that the pavement was split by a bike lane - and nearly took a hammering. These are not only difficult for pedestrians but I have had a situation where a van reversed out of a driveway down there and because of the breadth of the pavement/cyle lane plus cas parked, he nearly took me out as I drove past.
Cyclists generally ride too fast for the conditions and large numbers totally ignore traffic signs/lights, be they in town or on the front - I like a pound for each time I see this. It is especially dangerous for holiday makers and kids.
It's certainly bad on the Brighton seafront in the Summer - perhaps the lanes should be suspended at peak holiday times/hours.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The main thing with bike lanes is that we have not been "programmed" to deal with them. They are not part of our dna. After many decades of having just a road and pavement, we now have these extra lanes, and in some cases extra pavements to contend with. I dropped my missus off in the Drive the other day. She got out and stood on the pavement but forgot that the pavement was split by a bike lane - and nearly took a hammering. These are not only difficult for pedestrians but I have had a situation where a van reversed out of a driveway down there and because of the breadth of the pavement/cyle lane plus cas parked, he nearly took me out as I drove past.
Cyclists generally ride too fast for the conditions and large numbers totally ignore traffic signs/lights, be they in town or on the front - I like a pound for each time I see this. It is especially dangerous for holiday makers and kids.
It's certainly bad on the Brighton seafront in the Summer - perhaps the lanes should be suspended at peak holiday times/hours.

You actually highlight a pretty important point here. Cycle lane positioning varies so much in this country. How is anyone supposed to know where they are/when to look out for cyclists. In Brighton we have shared use pavements, the above mentioned promenade, by St Peter's church and the Level. We have cycle lanes marked on the road, Dyke Road (if you can see them for all the cars parked in them), some of Old Shoreham Road. Some even go behind bus stops ready for unsuspecting people getting off the bus. The Drive and First Avenue/Grand Avenue have cycle lanes behind parked cars (as you mentioned). Cycle Lanes come on and off the pavement all over the place. Some times there are advanced stop boxes at traffic lights, sometimes not, which adds in another argument about undertaking on the way to junctions. How is anyone really supposed to make sense of all that, and as you say be 'programmed' to deal with when and where they may be people riding a bike?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here