Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia Joins Watford

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
A lot of hazy memories from some on here. Personally I think Oscar will do okay at Watford, but all of this 'he would have been brilliant here, but we didn't give him the players' is revisionist bullshit.

1. We could have had Gestede, Mason or Conway in January, but Oscar declined all three (changing his mind on Conway at the last minute, when he had commited to Blackburn)

2. Plenty of times, when he DID have attacking options available, he ignored them, and packed the midfield. JFC, Ince and Andrews as a midfield three was common.

Are you referring to Lita and Obika as the ignored attacking options?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
At least Deaney is a good striker, hope he enjoys a penalty area all to himself....

.......well him , four defenders and no support.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I find it interesting that so many people have such strong opinions on Garcia either way. I can't think of another Albion personality who remains such a mystery to me. I literally cannot make my mind up on so many things, including:

Was OG passionate about his job or did he not really care?
Was he let down by the club in the transfer window or did he never really say anything to them?
Did he do a relatively good job or did he nearly fail with quite a good squad?
Did he intend to play exciting football or did we see the way he generally plays it?
Did he want to build any sort of relationship with the fans?
Is there a good reason for him going?

I have no idea about the man at all to be honest.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Speaking as someone who is married to a learning disability nurse, I'm quite sure that the 'mentally retarded' would not automatically boo either. I'm my experience, such a person would be more likely to cheer and have a positive outlook on life.

Do me a favour mate, just refer to idiots as idiots and leave easy targets such as those with autism, downs, microcephalus and other conditions out of it.

Ta

Well said.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I liked this bloke from Watford's forum:

"Got a couple of friends who support Maccabi Tel Aviv, both say that this talk of 'boring' or 'negative' football is utter nonsense, was known in Israel for his fast flowing attacking philosophy. Brighton had a really **** side, made no easier by the fact their fans feel they have some divine right to be in the Premiership, they didn't like Gus, didn't like Garcia and probably won't like Sami when he takes them down as they gradually get worse every year."

Just a few small points:
Our **** side finished seven places and twelve points above Watford.
We did like Gus
We did like Garcia
None of us (that are sane) feel we have a divine right to be in the Premiership, but feel that reaching the play offs for two years running has been a massive acheivement as we have been competing against teams with parachute money and dodgy ownership deals which get around the FFP rules.

Other than that, top marks mate.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Come now, you should know better than to question HKFC. He`s always right.

Not always.

You can decide for your self if I'm right this time.

Here is a selection of the four man midfield line ups he selected, with in brackets, the players he had available and left on the bench:

Reading: Andrews, Crofts, Forster-Caskey, Lopez (Buckley, Barnes)
QPR: Andrews, Crofts, Forster-Caskey, Lopez (Buckley, March, Lualua)
Sheff Wed: Andrews, Crofts, Bruno (CM), Lopez (Buckley, Barnes, Conway)
Barnsley: Bridcutt, Crofts, Forster-Caskey, Lopez (Buckley)
Charlton: Andrews, Crofts, Bridcutt, Lopez (Orlandi, Barnes)

These are all games we failed to win. I don't even necessarily argue with some of the selections - QPR away for example, you understand the need to keep it tight. But to claim there were no attacking players available is nonsense.

Buckley, March, Barnes, CMS were all regularly left on the bench when fit and available, whilst the likes of Ince, Andrews and JFC crowded the centre of midfield.

There's nothing to argue - these are the facts.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

"Got a couple of friends who support Maccabi Tel Aviv, both say that this talk of 'boring' or 'negative' football is utter nonsense, was known in Israel for his fast flowing attacking philosophy.

Interesting that most Maccabi fans say he plays attacking foorball and yet so many Brighton fans refuse to accept that he had severe limitations last season and insist he likes to play defensive football :shrug:

We are going to find out though aren't we, Oscar has some very good attacking players at his disposal now. He had one excellent forward for a large part of last season, an enigma in Kazenga, a disinterested and basically shit or injured Buckley and err that's about it isn't it? March started to come good later in the season but is lightweight and CMS was not available until the very end of the season and obviously nowhere near fit. We had a midfield with no creativity at all and an ageing but efficient defence. Please tell me how the hell was he supposed to play fast flowing attacking football?

albionite

May 20, 2009

"Got a couple of friends who support Maccabi Tel Aviv, both say that this talk of 'boring' or 'negative' football is utter nonsense, was known in Israel for his fast flowing attacking philosophy. Brighton had a really **** side, made no easier by the fact their fans feel they have some divine right to be in the Premiership, they didn't like Gus, didn't like Garcia and probably won't like Sami when he takes them down as they gradually get worse every year."

Just a few small points:
Our **** side finished seven places and twelve points above Watford.
We did like Gus
We did like Garcia
None of us (that are sane) feel we have a divine right to be in the Premiership, but feel that reaching the play offs for two years running has been a massive acheivement as we have been competing against teams with parachute money and dodgy ownership deals which get around the FFP rules.

Other than that, top marks mate.

Take no notice of them they have had a chip on their shoulders about Brighton since we beat them in the f.a cup a few years ago. They love to have a dig at our club.

I did like oscar and its a shame it did not work out for him here, but I do hope he fails at Watford.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not always.

You can decide for your self if I'm right this time.

Here is a selection of the four man midfield line ups he selected, with in brackets, the players he had available and left on the bench:

Reading: Andrews, Crofts, Forster-Caskey, Lopez (Buckley, Barnes)
QPR: Andrews, Crofts, Forster-Caskey, Lopez (Buckley, March, Lualua)
Sheff Wed: Andrews, Crofts, Bruno (CM), Lopez (Buckley, Barnes, Conway)
Barnsley: Bridcutt, Crofts, Forster-Caskey, Lopez (Buckley)
Charlton: Andrews, Crofts, Bridcutt, Lopez (Orlandi, Barnes)

These are all games we failed to win. I don't even necessarily argue with some of the selections - QPR away for example, you understand the need to keep it tight. But to claim there were no attacking players available is nonsense.

Buckley, March, Barnes, CMS were all regularly left on the bench when fit and available, whilst the likes of Ince, Andrews and JFC crowded the centre of midfield.

There's nothing to argue - these are the facts.

Can't imagine why Buckley was on the bench so much, I'm sure he was begging to play and nasty Oscar wouldn't let him.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Cant see him improving them and when he returns here, I wont be booing either, though I wont exactly be cheering him either.

We were so boring to watch under him, yes it got us to the play-offs.....just, but you want some entertainment too. Luckily, Sami is showing that in his early days.

We have had more shots this stage of the season than we did for the same period last season under Oscar for the record.

Interesting that most Maccabi fans say he plays attacking foorball and yet so many Brighton fans refuse to accept that he had severe limitations last season and insist he likes to play defensive football :shrug:

We are going to find out though aren't we, Oscar has some very good attacking players at his disposal now. He had one excellent forward for a large part of last season, an enigma in Kazenga, a disinterested and basically shit or injured Buckley and err that's about it isn't it? March started to come good later in the season but is lightweight and CMS was not available until the very end of the season and obviously nowhere near fit. We had a midfield with no creativity at all and an ageing but efficient defence. Please tell me how the hell was he supposed to play fast flowing attacking football?

By managing to sign a few better players like Tex and Colunga? :p

You are right of course, it will be fascinating to watch and if he keeps Deeney, Vydra and that little Italian Messi they have scoring at a high rate, I will doff my cap to your Oscar loving wisdom :drink:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

While i'm in no way anti-Garcia March could have come good earlier if he been given run at the beginning of the season rather than playing at least one completely unfit player which he did for the first few months.

Lopez wasn't great but we seemed to be the only creative player we had at one point and he was jettisoned from the team for far more limited players.

KLL had massive issues with Oscar so we may have to take some of the blame with that

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
I find it interesting that so many people have such strong opinions on Garcia either way. I can't think of another Albion personality who remains such a mystery to me. I literally cannot make my mind up on so many things, including:

Was OG passionate about his job or did he not really care?
Was he let down by the club in the transfer window or did he never really say anything to them?
Did he do a relatively good job or did he nearly fail with quite a good squad?
Did he intend to play exciting football or did we see the way he generally plays it?
Did he want to build any sort of relationship with the fans?
Is there a good reason for him going?

I have no idea about the man at all to be honest.

I agree he remains a mystery. Injuries and transfers in certainly did not help but the contrast between his declaration of attacking football and what we all watched last season was odd. Still not sure if he was a good manager who did well with an average squad or an average manger who allowed a good squad to underperform. Perhaps his season at Watford will help us judge.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Considering half of last years 1st team are now in the Prem, limping into 6th on the last day of the season looks a bit of a failure.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Considering half of last years 1st team are now in the Prem, limping into 6th on the last day of the season looks a bit of a failure.

The Poyet factor has obviously gone right over your head....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here