Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
I purchased some jogging trainers this morning, so can begin training for the 2015 Brighton marathon whenever I want.

I also signed up for the park run, will probably make my first appearance at Hove Park in a fortnight. Whereabouts in HP do they meet?

I was gonna get cracking today but the heavens have opened, I'm going out tonight and my mum has brought home some choc muffins so will hold off until tomorrow! Plus soccer saturday is on...! :albion2:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks for all the advice above, went to Hove Park Run today and I think thats good training as I find running 5k at 7 minute mile pace just as tough if not tougher than a long run at 8:30 pace.

The 5k should be tougher! You are likely to be running at your max threshold at the 5k, whereas your long run pace is well below your threshold. That's why pacing is so important in long races. Go off too quick and you will blow up. Your aim should be a negative or at least equal split come race day.

And on your other post, you are on track to well and truly smash the 4 hour barrier. I taper for 2 weeks, and make sure I get 5 or 6 16+ mile runs in prior (incl at least 3 at 20/22), building up gradually. So if you last ran 14 I would go 16 or 18 next, rather than straight to 20/22. Do not do more than a 22 as will not help at your level, in fact can reduce your effectiveness. And don't do the long runs at anything other than a modest pace. The speedwork should be done in your shorter runs.

Would def only do one long (16+) a week.

Very best of luck!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I purchased some jogging trainers this morning, so can begin training for the 2015 Brighton marathon whenever I want.:

Running shoes. You bought some running shoes. Jogging is that walking pace running style that people did in the 80s ;-)

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Hi all. A quick query if I may? During my enforced break from running due to injury, I took to walking 10k about five times a week @ 4mph., so just over 1 1/2 hours. I'm now back running, and am doing 5k's in 31 minutes @ roughly 6mph. My query is: am I burning the same amount of calories, as I am dieting concurrently? Ta

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Absolutely. Last year I messed up by too many miles too slowly and feel much better this year and less injury prone (fingers crossed).

Yes it's the old addage - train slow, run slow. It's a bit extreme, but gets the point across. Always funny to see the improvement in novice runners once they get some speedwork under their belt and get a bit of spring in their step.

It's not the nicest of sessions, but as always, they are the ones where you gain the most benefit.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks for the responses, I will grab a pair of jogging shoes from the jog shop on Monday.

I have £90, will this be enough for a size 11/12 pair? What are their prices like?

Just a word of warning, make sure you are getting the correct type of shoe! I bought my first 2 pair of running shoes from Run in Hove and they sold me the complete opposite of what my running style needed. Caused me no end of bother as I trusted them so assumed it must have been something else that was causing injures. Wasn't until I visited a sports physio (who told me I needed neutral shoes) that things got sorted.

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
Running my first marathon this year at the age of 48, of course I have chosen Brighton. I've not done any speed training but have concentrated on middle and long distance runs, 18 the longest so far 😃

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes it's the old addage - train slow, run slow. It's a bit extreme, but gets the point across. Always funny to see the improvement in novice runners once they get some speedwork under their belt and get a bit of spring in their step.

It's not the nicest of sessions, but as always, they are the ones where you gain the most benefit.

As a middle distance runner with a 17" 45' 5k under my belt, albeit when 36 years old, I love the speed sessions. However, I have to minimise them or I end up as a skeleton. Tuesday's speed session is leaving my training plan next week and the 5 x 1kms with 400m recovery at 6.30 pace becomes a strength workout 7.40 pace for twice the distance 6x1m 400m recovery. So I will be putting max effort in tomorrow for last speed sessions of plan and be giving a wave to Steve Ovett as I pass him each time on the seafront.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi all. A quick query if I may? During my enforced break from running due to injury, I took to walking 10k about five times a week @ 4mph., so just over 1 1/2 hours. I'm now back running, and am doing 5k's in 31 minutes @ roughly 6mph. My query is: am I burning the same amount of calories, as I am dieting concurrently? Ta

I had a look at online calorie counter calculators and the walk was about 550 calories and the run around 650. Not bad for a third of the time.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I seem to be having a couple of issues when I'm running above 5k, blisters on the bottom of my big toe just above where it joins the foot (mainly on the left foot) and bruising on my second and third toenails (right foot). I'm using Sketchers Go Run 2 which promote a fore/mid foot strike and when I first put them on it feels like there's some extra room, but not too much, and I usually wear Nike anti blister socks.

Any advice on how I could (try to) remedy these 2 issues?

I had trouble with blisters which I tracked down to to the insole slipping in my right trainer so that it was half-way up my heel by the time I'd finished my run - I sorted that out by taping it down with some car trim-tape that I had lying about and haven't had any bother since.

It might also be worth using the extra holes for the laces to draw in the fabric around your ankle to prevent your heels slipping.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I would appreciate some advice from experienced runners around training for a marathon.

This is my second marathon so I've been through the process before but I'm looking to get quicker, my original time was 4:20:00 I'm certain I can reduce that to under 4 hours.

I'm up to 14 miles which I completed in 1 hour 59 minutes. What I want to know is how long should your longest run be? Researching this anywhere from 18-22 seems to be the general rule. With 10 weeks to go and 3 of them tapering down I have 7 weeks of increasing distance so a mile per week up to 20 with the final run of 22 seems realistic.

Also there seems to be some conjecture over the length of taper most agree 21 days is optimum but others suggest 2 weeks is ample. What are your experiences?

And finally is two long runs per week too much? For the past two weeks I've run Sunday & Tuesday both as long runs.

I would concur with Herr T's & Chimneys responses to this post. I ran 16 marathons, majority between 4hrs 5 & 4hrs 30 mins without a real plan. By following the RW training plan I ended up with 3hrs 51. I would suggest looking at your 14 mile time, provided you do the long runs as others have suggested, you will beat the 4hr barrier. I have followed their plans for 1/2marathon and have lowered my PB from 1hr 44 to 1 hr 35. They do work. I am now looking to try and beat 3.30 this year, a tough ask but so far, sticking to the plan, the training is going well.

I wish you the best of luck, nothing beats that feeling of 3hrs... at the start of your marathon PB. You can do it.

Happy Running :thumbsup:

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
As a middle distance runner with a 17" 45' 5k under my belt, albeit when 36 years old, I love the speed sessions. However, I have to minimise them or I end up as a skeleton. Tuesday's speed session is leaving my training plan next week and the 5 x 1kms with 400m recovery at 6.30 pace becomes a strength workout 7.40 pace for twice the distance 6x1m 400m recovery. So I will be putting max effort in tomorrow for last speed sessions of plan and be giving a wave to Steve Ovett as I pass him each time on the seafront.

Sensible idea to up the distance and take the speed down. I'm with you with the speed sessions, i'm 41 and its the long Sunday runs that are the killer for me - at least the shorter sessions are over quicker. Thats why I prefer the shorter races - my one and only marathon was London in 2004....I told my quads I wouldn't put them through that again!

No statues for me to wave to on my runs. Although I did leave a little present in the woods opposite Stadium MK yesterday on my long run :D

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've been training for the Surrey Half Marathon in March, and have been quite enjoying having a plan to run to - you can really feel the difference that running at different paces and distances makes to your overall ability. What really struck it home for me was when my plan called for me to do a Park Run, having not done one for several weeks as weekends are usually set aside for long runs, and I promptly shaved 50 seconds off my years best and 7 seconds off my PB!

... I still hate HIIT though!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I would concur with Herr T's & Chimneys responses to this post. I ran 16 marathons, majority between 4hrs 5 & 4hrs 30 mins without a real plan. By following the RW training plan I ended up with 3hrs 51. I would suggest looking at your 14 mile time, provided you do the long runs as others have suggested, you will beat the 4hr barrier. I have followed their plans for 1/2marathon and have lowered my PB from 1hr 44 to 1 hr 35. They do work. I am now looking to try and beat 3.30 this year, a tough ask but so far, sticking to the plan, the training is going well.

I wish you the best of luck, nothing beats that feeling of 3hrs... at the start of your marathon PB. You can do it.

Thanks for your advice and everyone else's. Ran 16 miles Sunday including some substantial hills took me 2 hours 18 minutes, going to have an easier week this week as I ended up running 51 miles from Sunday to Sunday.

I've just checked the Runners World guide and it seems reasonable, I'm pretty much doing most of the plan already.

I'm going to try fartlek for the first time Thursday.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Thanks for your advice and everyone else's. Ran 16 miles Sunday including some substantial hills took me 2 hours 18 minutes, going to have an easier week this week as I ended up running 51 miles from Sunday to Sunday.

I've just checked the Runners World guide and it seems reasonable, I'm pretty much doing most of the plan already.

Well done on the 16 miles ran, very good time again, esepcially in hilly conditions. Given the RW guides normally have 3 weeks full on 1 week rest approach it is good to take a resting week to recover. Enjoy your fartlek session.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I had a look at online calorie counter calculators and the walk was about 550 calories and the run around 650. Not bad for a third of the time.

Thanks for the input. As you. Can imagine, I am sweating miles more after the run than the walk, hopefully meaning more calories burned, as you say, in one third of the time :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I upped to 16 on Sunday as well. Fed up of running to Worthing Pier and back and so planned a route from Hove Lagoon, Shoreham Bridge, up the muddy flooded banks of the Adur to the South Downs Way, then 2 miles up hill to Truleigh Hill carrying along SDW to Devil's Dyke and then a much needed 4 miles down hill to get home. It took 48 hours of much eating (a 4lb chicken in 24 hours) and resting before the increase in my resting heart rate dropped 8 beats back to the normal 40. Raring to go again now.

Makes me want to do the Steyning Stinger but this year I will concentrate on the Brighton Marathon. Or shall I do the Stinger half as a training run???

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I upped to 16 on Sunday as well. Fed up of running to Worthing Pier and back and so planned a route from Hove Lagoon, Shoreham Bridge, up the muddy flooded banks of the Adur to the South Downs Way, then 2 miles up hill to Truleigh Hill carrying along SDW to Devil's Dyke and then a much needed 4 miles down hill to get home. It took 48 hours of much eating (a 4lb chicken in 24 hours) and resting before the increase in my resting heart rate dropped 8 beats back to the normal 40. Raring to go again now.

Makes me want to do the Steyning Stinger but this year I will concentrate on the Brighton Marathon. Or shall I do the Stinger half as a training run???

I tend to run the other way towards Peacehaven and back, but went in a loop Sunday to get some hills in.

This link gives you the map of the run

http://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/439243970

It was a good route and would definitely do it again, New England Hill was tough around 4/5 miles in then a steady run up Dyke Road.

Definitely going for another long run Sunday, I was going to do an Albion themed run, maybe pass the sites for our three most recent grounds followed by running down to Rottingdean and then towards home, thats got to be 15 miles + and then I could add on a bit more maybe the power station and back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here