Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the longest it's taken for you to get home from a game?

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Swansea away, 1992 Friday night match. Got a lift back to Gatwick, slept at Gatwick till the first train back up to Cambridge where I was living. Fell asleep on train, woke up in Norwich. Waited for next train for two hours. Got home 3.00pm, 19 hours after match ended.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Probably Sheffield Wednesday away when it was on a Monday night. My dad drove and one of the roads on the way back was gridlocked and we say there for about 4 hours making the whole journey about 9 apparently. I say apparently as I was asleep, my dad may have just parked on the drive and left me while he went inside to bed to teach me a lesson

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hull away in the FA Cup about January1985?

We won 3-2.

Days of the old special football trains, and they always gave us the worst stock. It broke down hallway back and they just pushed it into a siding, and left us for hours. There was no heating or lights, and there was no information - we genuinely thought we'd been forgotten and were spending the night on it. The days before mobile phones too.

No idea what time we finally arrived back to Hove. About 3am I think.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

We won 3-2.

Days of the old special football trains, and they always gave us the worst stock. It broke down hallway back and they just pushed it into a siding, and left us for hours. There was no heating or lights, and there was no information - we genuinely thought we'd been forgotten and were spending the night on it. The days before mobile phones too.

I was on that train when they pulled us into that siding just north of London,
although I'm sure it was more nearer midnight than 3 am.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009

We won 3-2.

Great win, hideous journey.
Carlisle away in the days of John Vinicombe getting the same train(s) as fans. Now that is a journey. Next stop Gretna Green.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Grimsby away mid 80s, it was a midweek match where we were 0-2 down at half time but won 4-2.
Got home at 5pm the following day due to problems with the car.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was stuck on that train in Manningtree on the way to Ipswich when some Albion fans thought it was a good idea to let off fire extinguishers never made the game. BR gave me a refund though so not all bad plus we lost 1-0.

el punal

We won 3-2.

Drove to that game (3 of us) from Southampton. Got there in 3+ hours, a bit longer coming back due to compulsory pub stops. :D

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
England v Columbia Lens, World Cup. Broken down car in Arras. No money. 3 days.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Three and a half hours is our quickest ever but after THAT game against Palace it took an hour and a half to get off the carpark )the staff abandoned it!) followed by A23/M23 and M40 closures meaning we got home at 5am, seven hours after the final whistle,

Many years ago I was living in Birmingham and went to watch us play Leicester in a midweek League Cup game after work. Found there was no train back so slept in the station and got the first train straight in to work the next morning. I finally got home at 8pm on the Wednesday evening having left it at 7am the previous day. Probably doesn't count but 37 hours door to door :lol:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Swansea away in the eighties after a nil nil draw (I think). Got the club coach and thought it would go via London for a drop off. First stop was Haywards Heath, slept in the waiting room until the first north bound train came in. Home at 7am.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Got home from the Hereford match about 7am next day. I think there are a couple on here that would be the same. I was on that minibus.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rochdale to Brighton. Van kept on breaking down. Finally arrived in Shoreham 4 pm on Sunday after a Saturday game.

Left for Rochdale 11 pm the night before.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Leicester away midweek a few seasons ago when travelling from Somerset.

[MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] was driving and his car broke down en route. [MENTION=394]nail-Z[/MENTION] was going for a 100% season so we abandoned our driver and caught a cab to the ground, which cost us about £100 as we'd broken down a long way from Leicester. I can't remember if we made kick-off or not.

I thought I'd be able to find another West Country seagull to give us a lift back somewhere close to home but I couldn't so we booked into a hotel, slept over and then trained it back the next morning. At a guess, we got back around midday.

I'll confess I wore the same boxers two days running.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Tottenham ****ing Hotspurs 2014 problem after problem on the coach trip home with accidents, diversions etc it was about 2am when we got home - and that was after arriving at the game 20 minutes in due to the same issues. I have been home quicker from places like Barnsley or Bolton

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Leicester away midweek a few seasons ago when travelling from Somerset.

[MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] was driving and his car broke down en route. [MENTION=394]nail-Z[/MENTION] was going for a 100% season so we abandoned our driver and caught a cab to the ground, which cost us about £100 as we'd broken down a long way from Leicester. I can't remember if we made kick-off or not.

I thought I'd be able to find another West Country seagull to give us a lift back somewhere close to home but I couldn't so we booked into a hotel, slept over and then trained it back the next morning. At a guess, we got back around midday.

I'll confess I wore the same boxers two days running.

Indeed, you will remember we were fortified by Olympic proportions..........I never felt abandoned.

Back to the premis of this thread, and as you know, it took me 4 days to get back from the Hull game............what do I win?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was stuck on that train in Manningtree on the way to Ipswich when some Albion fans thought it was a good idea to let off fire extinguishers never made the game. BR gave me a refund though so not all bad plus we lost 1-0.

So was I. The guard on the train said that if I wrote to British Rail when I got home, they would give me a free 1st class return ticket to a station of my choice.

Great I thought, we are playing Barnsley in a couple of weeks. The guard was half right, BR did let me have a free ticket to a station of my choice, just as long as that station was called Ipswich.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Leeds away last season, when the coach broke down. A part was sent from Birmingham but it was the wrong size, so at 9.45pm, we were told that the correct sized part would be sent fron Newcastle. Leeds did allow us into a bar to wait in the warm. We finally got away at midnight arriving back approx 5am.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here