Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastily arranged deal

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
I don't really care who was right or wrong. The rumour was around the club a couple of months ago and it is an arrangement which suits everyone.

All that matters is that he is back!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As he had been seen at the training ground, I reckon he has been training but needs match fitness now.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Naylor is a clueless bafoon who is not very popular within the senior management of the club.

Truth is many people on here have as much idea as he does on potential deals and the clubs recruitment policy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A copy and paste of what I wrote on another thread last night amongst the general madness and euphoria...

But against all expectations, probably, I'm going to side with Andy Naylor. The club have been ridiculously cool to the point of "Bobby who?" this Summer.

Every time Naylor rubbished the Zamora story it tied in with me being told stuff like "No chance at all." The club has never had cards this close to its chest.

Taking that as a trusted lead, as he clearly did, saw him make some bold statements, that look a bit silly now. If I was sitting where he was, I'd probably have written the same.​

It does genuinely sound as though the deal has been put together quickly, based on conversations over the last couple of weeks.

The only thing that matters though is that he's back where he belongs.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Why a last minute deal .. he is released by QPR in May if he really wanted to come here earlier he could have signed , but as with many released pro,s was waiting to see what emerged . dont get me wrong the deal is good for both sides but dont kid yourself it was done in May . Bobby like any other Pro was holding out to see what was about
Don;t know. I was told it would be a last minute thing. You can make your own mind up on why that would have been. They spoke before the end of the season with QPR's permission. I'm not kidding myself with anything mate.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thanks,

That was at a time when all the club's efforts were focused on Hemed and AJ.

Rumour was for BZ to sign on the 1st July. At the time Naylor was right about it not being close.

What I don't understand, as I have mentioned on here, is if it was a dead cert, why was he not training with us?
Maybe the club, or perhaps BZ, didn't want to risk being taken to court by Tony Fernandes who might claim he's effectively a BHA employee now?

The difference between this and CMS training at Luton for the extra 3-4 weeks is that they're not in the same division, so we're not giving a rival any advantage for free. That and the fact that TB isn't a wanker.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It does genuinely sound as though the deal has been put together quickly, based on conversations over the last couple of weeks.
The agreement may well have only been made over the weekend, but are you suggesting that the club didn't speak to Bobby/his agent over a month ago? Because that's what Naylor was getting at, as he said it was wide of the mark to even name him as a potential signing.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I wouldn't have thought so, for insurance purposes, but have no idea.

CMS trained with Luton from July 1 onwards, and played in a number of friendlies, which presumably didn't affect his ability to claim the extra month's salary from Albion.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
CMS trained with Luton from July 1 onwards, and played in a number of friendlies, which presumably didn't affect his ability to claim the extra month's salary from Albion.

Has CMS actually signed for Luton? or just still training with them?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not sure about that. Training and having a trial with a club and then signing isn't being deceitful. The only comparison we have to this is what CMS did.
How would we have felt if CMS had been training with another Championship club whilst we were still paying his wages?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
How would we have felt if CMS had been training with another Championship club whilst we were still paying his wages?

Probably the same as it was with Luton. I don't believe that you can stop a released player from training and going on trial with another club. There is no certainty that they will be signed in the end.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Having known Andy for longer than 99% on here I was surprised that, knowing how much we loved Bobby & how much he loved Us, he simply underestimated the likelihood of a deal happening and the ease at which two very willing parties would be able to reach agreement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here