Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone out there a Vegetarian or Vegan ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you really this interested?

curious if vegans think it through. some (not all) will militantly avoid animal by products on ethical or environmental grounds, but not consider the source of their soya milk from plantations on ex-rainforest, or carbon footprint of their nuts. people comparing their milk replacments on their cereal made brought it to mind, i'd have thought ditching the cereals an easier option.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
curious if vegans think it through. some (not all) will militantly avoid animal by products on ethical or environmental grounds, but not consider the source of their soya milk from plantations on ex-rainforest, or carbon footprint of their nuts. people comparing their milk replacments on their cereal made brought it to mind, i'd have thought ditching the cereals an easier option.

I guess it depends what their reason is. And how does one find out what the minimum carbon footprint for a salad leaf is anyway? The optimal is somewhere between an allotment and some form of mechanised method but what's best?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I have just looked on the internet, and the reason why are ancestors developed larger brains was their ability to cook meet by inventing fire, so are intestines could absorb it. If we were herbivores, we would have 4 stomachs like cows.

This argument wins hands down.

No we wouldn't, not all herbivores have 4 stomachs and humans can happily eat and easily digest a whole range of fruit and vegetables without having to cook or prepare them. On the other hand as you say yourself with Meat we had to learn to invent fire and cook the meat so as our intestines could cope with it so humans are obviously not natural carnivores.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
This is my biggest issue, who doesn't smell bacon and want to eat it!

Me. Bacon was one of the main triggers for my road to be a vegetarian. Have been meat free since 1992. Smell of bacon makes me feel sick. Used to work in an office where two fat birds used to bring in McD's shit in the morning. I used to go and stand outside and have a couple of smokes whilst they slobbered all over that junk, so when I went back in my tobacco smell would combat the stink.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No we wouldn't, not all herbivores have 4 stomachs and humans can happily eat and easily digest a whole range of fruit and vegetables without having to cook or prepare them. On the other hand as you say yourself with Meat we had to learn to invent fire and cook the meat so as our intestines could cope with it so humans are obviously not natural carnivores.

its clear from our diet, physiology and that of other primates, we are omnivores. the subject of cooking is very important, because we are able to consume a wider range of foods and in smaller quanities than if we did not cook them. alot of raw vegetables and fruits (less so) are partially undigestible to us, we call it fibre or cut it off. nuts are reputed to be good for weight loss for example, which is due to them largely passing through. you also need to consume large quantities of high protien, non-animal foods to get the same amount of proportion of digestable protein, then theres a few proteins we cant get from veg, and some minerals in veg form arent readily absorbed (iron in particular). someone earlier pointed out the age of plenty we have means we dont have to think about any of this, and thats about the rub of it, otherwise veganism (vegetarian not so much) would be poor for health, theres enough substitutes to get by.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think the first time it hit me was when having a chicken drumstick at kfc. It was dire and I thought " hang on a minute " I am chewing on a real life bone of a deceased animal.

This mirrors my experience about 8 years ago. Just couldn't stop thinking about what I was eating when I was eating meat.

So I gave it up, never eaten meat since and the thought of it now grosses me out.

I'm a pescatarian, haven't had the same thoughts about fish, yet!

The ethical part of where the fish/food I eat comes from doesn't bother me, though maybe it should.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My wife has been vegetarian since before we met. My two teenage kids have been all their lives. I still eat meat (almost exclusively chicken) but not a great deal. Enjoy a steak or a lamb curry when I'm away for work.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have just looked on the internet, and the reason why are ancestors developed larger brains was their ability to cook meet by inventing fire, so are intestines could absorb it. If we were herbivores, we would have 4 stomachs like cows.

This argument wins hands down.

Not the most convincing argument for larger brains that I have ever read, if I'm being honest.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
bacon.jpg

I think the first time it hit me was when having a chicken drumstick at kfc. It was dire and I thought " hang on a minute " I am chewing on a real life bone of a deceased animal. Not felt good about eating animals since and new lady only made me think maybe I should go Veggie at least ? After all I cannot pretend I am a bastion for animal rights when I still eat them. It is as simple as that
Simple? If everyone was a vegan, the logical conclusion to reach is that chickens, cows, pigs and sheep would all become extinct. Who in their right mind would keep farm animals alive if there was no use for them?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Anyone gone the no animal or no animal product route ?

You can test the new missus vegan moral resolve by asking her - 'if you were bitten by a poisonous snake would you refuse the anti venom?'

*if you did not know it's made via horses*

On a side note: my daughter (14) decided she wanted to be a vegetarian last summer. I went 6 days last week without any meat, I did not realise until last night when I tucked away a Reuben - it was delicious. I definitely feel less bloated after meals when we have a vegetarian dish. I can't see myself going full on vegetarian -- the thought of giving up steak and bacon is one step too far. Although, I am happy to embrace it as it saves a few $$$ a week not buying loads of meat.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Simple? If everyone was a vegan, the logical conclusion to reach is that chickens, cows, pigs and sheep would all become extinct. Who in their right mind would keep farm animals alive if there was no use for them?

My chickens have all but stopped laying eggs and I don't want to get rid of them. Not sure I am in my right mind though so your point still stands :)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I watched a program the other night about longevity.
It would seem that by your mid fifties that you have had enough meat and dairy products to reap their benefits and no longer need them as the body is starting it's wind down.
Becoming vegan at this age, it is explained, will improve life expectancy considerably, especially by eating lots of walnuts!
The people featured were all 100 years old or older, they all looked pretty good and were active.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here