Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Feeling very sorry for my self. Currently in Royal Berkshire hospital waiting for a CT scan. A motorcycle rode his bike in to my leg and knocked me of my bike on Wednesday on my commute Home. My leg has been getting more and more painful. Especially the hip and knee. Please people wear a helmet when on your bikes, at best it saved from a serious head injury, I don't like to think of the worst.
Sorry to hear this. Speedy recovery.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Feeling very sorry for my self. Currently in Royal Berkshire hospital waiting for a CT scan. A motorcycle rode his bike in to my leg and knocked me of my bike on Wednesday on my commute Home. My leg has been getting more and more painful. Especially the hip and knee. Please people wear a helmet when on your bikes, at best it saved from a serious head injury, I don't like to think of the worst.

Hopefully that's just part of the recovery process combined with reduced adrenaline. Get well soon anyway.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Good news for early season race viewing with the Tour Down Under starting this weekend:

Bike Channel UK will be broadcasting the race 'as live' each day at 3pm and 9pm (GMT). :clap:

Top man.

[MENTION=5362]manintheblackpajamas[/MENTION] freesat ain't that expensive to set up, providing you have access to a dish.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah sorry about that, when I went back to the post I realised I was being so PC I'd tied myself up in knots.

Never seen before school friend of daughter arrives on doorstep seemingly in desperate need of even the most basic provisions.
Upstairs, on the landing, is a charity bag full said provisions.

How do we get the bag to the kid without being, insensitive, patronising or down right rude to a family who we don't know and have never met.

Just say that as their nipper is ideal age for the clothes do they fancy first dibs or know anyone else who might want them, otherwise they're going to the charity shop. You might be over thinking it. Happens all the time round our way. Perhaps include it in the next invite over text as a btw on the end?

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Get well soon.

Gotta say, not enjoying this bike channel intrusion... Please just stick everything on Eurosport as I don't have freesat!

Not that I doubt the coverage is good if Ned is still involved.

T'was motogull that gave me the original heads up on Bike channel last season. Brilliant for me as we're on Freesat and Freeview before that. I've just subscribed to Eurosport player for the bargain price of £20 for the year too. So with ITV4, Eurosport player and Bike Channel, not forgetting BBC for the Worlds, I should have everything covered for this season without going stream hunting :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok Geeks, the season has started! :clap:

Velogames Fantasy TDU league set up. Give it a go. Proper lottery as no one knows what form riders are carrying at this stage in the season.

Home page here: http://www.velogames.com

League Code: 15114756

I often balls up entry cut off times, so here's what the site says:

Entry Deadline
The deadline for entries to be submitted is 01:00 CET (Central European Time) on Tuesday 17th January 2017. That is 09:00 local time in Adelaide.

Btw, Ignore todays crit. You haven't missed the deadline as it doesn't count in the actual race or the fantasy game.

Good luck all.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just say that as their nipper is ideal age for the clothes do they fancy first dibs or know anyone else who might want them, otherwise they're going to the charity shop. You might be over thinking it. Happens all the time round our way. Perhaps include it in the next invite over text as a btw on the end?
Thanks yeah definitely over thinking it.
We've never given it a second thought to dropping a big bundle of stuff off to friends, or receiving said bundle, saying 'take what you want... etc'.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bike channel coverage was good in that there was only 1 advert break in the middle of a 1 hour programme - that beats Eurosport & ITV4 hands down!
The feed was from the host broadcaster with Phil & Paul and the usual tourist adverts, but if Robbie McEwen enters the fray again then the quality of analysis will pick up dramatically as he's good.

Sky are a funny old lot when it comes to lead out trains. Yet again they go way too early and burn all their matches before the action starts. Not that Danny Van Poppel would have had much of a chance against Ewan mind.

Still not impressed by Orica's kit looking just like Moviestar again. Wish they'd go back to their old kit. A lot of confusing reds in the peloton again this season too, with only Katusha doing a good job of standing out from the crowd.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Get well soon.

T'was motogull that gave me the original heads up on Bike channel last season. Brilliant for me as we're on Freesat and Freeview before that. I've just subscribed to Eurosport player for the bargain price of £20 for the year too. So with ITV4, Eurosport player and Bike Channel, not forgetting BBC for the Worlds, I should have everything covered for this season without going stream hunting :thumbsup:

I am getting rid of Virgin and going Freeview now that I have Eurosport Player. Are you saying I am not going to lose the Bike Channel?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I am getting rid of Virgin and going Freeview now that I have Eurosport Player. Are you saying I am not going to lose the Bike Channel?

Hmmm, apologies in order from me I think, sorry.

I mentioned that we was on freeview before freesat to make the point that I've never had Eurosport available on our tv before.

I also, naively it turns out after a quick check just now, thought that Bike Channel was on Freeview anyway. It isn't I'm afraid.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hmmm, apologies in order from me I think, sorry.

I mentioned that we was on freeview before freesat to make the point that I've never had Eurosport available on our tv before.

I also, naively it turns out after a quick check just now, thought that Bike Channel was on Freeview anyway. It isn't I'm afraid.

Bah.

There you go. C'est la vie.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok Geeks, the season has started! :clap:

Velogames Fantasy TDU league set up. Give it a go. Proper lottery as no one knows what form riders are carrying at this stage in the season.

Home page here: http://www.velogames.com

League Code: 15114756

I often balls up entry cut off times, so here's what the site says:

Entry Deadline
The deadline for entries to be submitted is 01:00 CET (Central European Time) on Tuesday 17th January 2017. That is 09:00 local time in Adelaide.

Btw, Ignore todays crit. You haven't missed the deadline as it doesn't count in the actual race or the fantasy game.

Good luck all.

Quick bounce for this.

Come on, the more the merrier!

Note there are two changes to the startlist now that may not appear on the fantasy site.

Owain Doull is out with a bug and will be replaced with Kenny Elissonde.

Brendan Canty out as well and replaced by Tom Scully.

Canty was going to be a dark horse pick for me as seemed to be going well. Shame he misses out.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Does anyone use Zwift?

I trialled it but use TrainerRoad now. The graphics are quite fun to start with but get a bit repetitive. In my opinion, the training plans on TrainerRoad are far superior. They have specific triathlon ones which I'm using (and also include swim and run drills to go with it).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Help needed Geeks from a runner's thread cyclist coming back from a 5 year road bike rest. Got Cannondale CAAD800. 10 years old with Shimano 105 Flightdeck shifters. Just got bike down from 4 years in attic and all is fine. Problem is I remember when a cable broke 5 years ago the shifter was in the wrong gear and the cable change was problematic. So I want to change the cables now as they are 10 and 5 years old respectively.

Question do I try myself (any youtube links?) or can you reccommend a repair shop. I used to go to the one in Worthing on A259. Over to you and I hope to be able to tag along on one of your rides in the Spring, once fitness is recovered.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Help needed Geeks from a runner's thread cyclist coming back from a 5 year road bike rest. Got Cannondale CAAD800. 10 years old with Shimano 105 Flightdeck shifters. Just got bike down from 4 years in attic and all is fine. Problem is I remember when a cable broke 5 years ago the shifter was in the wrong gear and the cable change was problematic. So I want to change the cables now as they are 10 and 5 years old respectively.

Question do I try myself (any youtube links?) or can you reccommend a repair shop. I used to go to the one in Worthing on A259. Over to you and I hope to be able to tag along on one of your rides in the Spring, once fitness is recovered.

An easy DIY job. Must be because I recently replaced my gear cables. I can't remember what youtube tutorial I used but there's loads out there. GCN might be a good place to start.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

An easy DIY job. Must be because I recently replaced my gear cables. I can't remember what youtube tutorial I used but there's loads out there. GCN might be a good place to start.

As 1066 says - do this:-

Words to the wise.

- Dan really doesn't express enough how much you need a proper pair of cutters.
None of my cycling buddies even touch cables until they have hold of my £15 Wickes cutters, the difference is amazing.

- Definitely replace inner and outer, I'm a big fan of Jagwire cables, someone will be along soon to say they are shitehouse. :lol:
- As the bike has been 'stored' for a few years and the job is a little bit of a faff, do the brake cables as well.

These next 2 are dark arts and entirely dependent on your ability.

- Indexing your gears afterwards, most people can do it fine - I have been reduced to tears.

- retaping - as above only I don't even try anymore.
Lizardskin tape is expensive, but as with Jagwire cables I'm a big fan, it's deffo VFM.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Cheers.

As 1066 says - do this:-

Words to the wise.

- Dan really doesn't express enough how much you need a proper pair of cutters.
None of my cycling buddies even touch cables until they have hold of my £15 Wickes cutters, the difference is amazing.

- Definitely replace inner and outer, I'm a big fan of Jagwire cables, someone will be along soon to say they are shitehouse. :lol:
- As the bike has been 'stored' for a few years and the job is a little bit of a faff, do the brake cables as well.

These next 2 are dark arts and entirely dependent on your ability.

- Indexing your gears afterwards, most people can do it fine - I have been reduced to tears.

- retaping - as above only I don't even try anymore.
Lizardskin tape is expensive, but as with Jagwire cables I'm a big fan, it's deffo VFM.

OK I'll give it a go myself. Can do the mountain bike's cables. Think I will definitely have trouble with indexing but will use patience and determination..... Then get them indexed by someone who can do it.

Any advance on the Jagwire?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers.

OK I'll give it a go myself. Can do the mountain bike's cables. Think I will definitely have trouble with indexing but will use patience and determination..... Then get them indexed by someone who can do it.

Any advance on the Jagwire?
I'm out and about at the moment but a quick glance at wiggle would suggest this is what you need:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/jagwire-road-pro-complete-gear-and-cable-kit/

They also do them in celeste which I think you'll find will be ideal. :lol:.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here