Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Villa

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Don't think my ratings were too far off those of [MENTION=29619]sussex_guy2k2[/MENTION]
Most seem to think Stephens had a shocker, whereas I thought he ensured that we held on to possession, and he broke them down pretty well. Most claim that he gave the ball away too much. Anyone got any stats on this?

It's taken a long time for people to give Dunk the credit he deserves since his little incident. Similarly, people will downrank Stephens for quite some time, probably until the end of the season. Just the way it is.

He had an ok game, put his foot in at some key moments but had to come very deep for any time on the ball. Disposessed once and gave it away in latter stages from memory.

No better or worse a game than Sidwell IMO.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I don't do ratings normally,as I'm not an expert like so many on here,but here goes:

Stockdale 5 would somebody please wake him up when he leaves the dressing room
Bruno 7 his fitness,and ability to kill a long ball,are a joy
Dunk 8.5 gets better every season
Bong 5 poor
Duffy 6 not convinced at all
Stephens 4 static,not interested
Sidwell 6 tried
Knocky 6 maybe tried too hard.gave away the free kick for the goal
Skalak 7 getting better
Baldock 7 learn from Glenn
Murray 8 not a fan,but enjoying his football

Murphy 7 should have done better,should have started maybe
Norwood 7 could be another top buy

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Don't think my ratings were too far off those of [MENTION=29619]sussex_guy2k2[/MENTION]
Most seem to think Stephens had a shocker, whereas I thought he ensured that we held on to possession, and he broke them down pretty well. Most claim that he gave the ball away too much. Anyone got any stats on this?

Their pass success rate was about the same. I questioned that when I saw some disparities in ratings, but Stephens made a third more passes.

I think, like a lot of things, these ratings are often biased by where you sit in the stands, personal feelings towards players etc

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It's taken a long time for people to give Dunk the credit he deserves since his little incident. Similarly, people will downrank Stephens for quite some time, probably until the end of the season. Just the way it is.

He had an ok game, put his foot in at some key moments but had to come very deep for any time on the ball. Disposessed once and gave it away in latter stages from memory.

No better or worse a game than Sidwell IMO.

What people also often forget is that our midfield two are often outnumbered. In fact, I can't remember the last time they weren't outnumbered in a game as most clubs come to the AMEX and play five in midfield. Add that to the fact that they were playing against some Premier League standard players and it's no surprise they weren't as good last night as they have been.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This; in spades. You're about the only person who saw the same game I did. It's unusual for me to have such a different opinion from those with whom I tend to discuss the game afterwards, but last night I wondered if I was starting to totally lose any lingering ability to read a game. Your analysis has provided some comfort; thank you. Unless you're going mad too, of course.

Everyone I was with saw the same game as me if it's any consolation. At least in terms of the feedback on performances, rather than the actual numbers I've personally given.

Dec 4, 2013
How can people give marks of 7 and 8 . This was a very poor performance as we were 2nd best in every department and outplayed by a Villa side that Bruce had doing the basics right. They ruled our midfield and closed us down very quick to stop us playing.

Stockdale. 7 could be faulted for the goal but earned our point for us.
Bruno 6. Nothing good or bad
Duffy 6 not his best game
Dunk 6.5 reliable as usual despite a few lunges
Bong 6. Played a dufficult opponent well
Knockaert 5 Not at the races todaya
Stephens 5 too many misplaced passes and caught in possession
Sidwell 5 As per Stephens
Skalak 5 Achieved very little needs to go past his man some times
Murray 6 scored the goal but missed an easy header for a 2nd
Baldock 6 Harried but other than the pass for GM achueved very little.

Subs
Norwood & Murphy 6 made no difference or impact.

A generally poor performance for which we robbed Villa of a win. The sign of a good side that can play bad and still avoid defeat.

"How can people give marks of 7 and 8 ....

Stockdale. 7 "

Made me laugh

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

A good enough question. Stephens actually only gave the ball away only once at the time of the substitutions but this resulted in the strong spell by Villa near the end. I don't think he had a good game, sending passes that put other players in difficulty, especially to Bong. He reminded me of Ince in style and his hurriedness to get his passes off.

This could all be expected against a Bruce side. I thought be missed Kayal keeping hold of the ball in midfield.

I thought the game was even with the creation of half chances so 1-1 was fair enough. We missed. Their attempts were weak.

Against a heavy pressing side, the modern thinking is to tire them out with the passing game. We tried.

Three of the goals we have conceded have been long range headers, two from set pieces. We know from playing Hull and against Curtis Davies that this a Bruce speciality. I was dismayed by the goal as I thought Murray had this possibility covered.

5-0 and 1-1 was OK for the two home games. Better than Drawing with Norwich and beating Villa.

I measure the success of Duffy in the improvement of Dunk playing a slightly different role.

I was hoping we would bring March on for Skalak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here