Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton - what to do?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
This kid looks the absolute business for Wigan.

If we don’t play him next season, can we keep him? If I was him I wouldn’t want to benchwarm , even in the prem.

What I fear is that we will sell him for say, £1m and the following summer he goes for 10.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Wigan look likely to go up. Another season long loan, so he gets a season’s experience in the Championship.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loan him to a top end Championship team and then his apprenticeship is complete.
After that it's down to him to be first choice 'keeper.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Haha, I got this add in the middle of this thread:

Selling Has Never Been So Easy

But no, I doubt we'd sell him for £1M, and he is remarkably young for a goalkeeper, a season loan in the Championship would be great for him at this stage in his career, I'd want us to do whatever we have to to keep him on our books though. What a save for that penalty, and he stopped a great shot one on one earlier in the game too.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

If we don’t play him next season, can we keep him? If I was him I wouldn’t want to benchwarm , even in the prem.

What I fear is that we will sell him for say, £1m and the following summer he goes for 10.

I think at his age and experience benchwarming a premier league side wouldn’t be totally unappealing ....although a year in the championship would perhaps be better and that might be with Wigan

I think he is a star of the future. If he carries on the way he is, he will be playing in the PL some time in the future. I would love that to be with us.

I do not think we Maenpaa will not want to stay as 3rd choice keeper, but neither will Walton. I say we should loan him to a decent Championship team for another season, and then see how he's progressed.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Sell him for £1m? I don't think our recruitment team are that stupid, anymore. Loan him to a Championship side next season, then we'll see how he fares.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Hahahahaha

I’m worried too, that we might sell Izquierdo for 49p and a bag of quavers.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Please think before posting. He is worth a lot more than 1 million.. Only 22

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
It’s an interesting one with him. I’d have it as an open competition between him and Ryan during pre-season. If Walton loses out we’ll find a championship side who will take him on loan without too much trouble. If we’re a championship side i’d go with Walton regardless.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wigan look likely to go up. Another season long loan, so he gets a season’s experience in the Championship.

Exactly this. He's clearly developing well there. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everyone's a winner...especially us at this rate.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Of course we can keep him if we don't play him. He comes across as quite smart and understanding that, especially for goalkeepers, as a young player he has to bide his time and get experience. He knows it's unlikely to go from playing in League one for one season to dislodging an at least highly competent prem keeper. He knows he will need to make another step up, with a loan out at Championship level.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...hristian_Walton_taking_loan_route_to_the_top/

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
How long does he have left on his contract?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would extend his contract by a few years to tie him to us and then loan him back out to Wigan if they get promoted or if not a Championship team for another season loan then bring him back to compete with Ryan for the shirt in season 19/20. I believe it was in The Argus this week that he wants to come back next season to compete with Ryan for the shirt.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here