Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ooooh back on albums of the year thus far. Canada's Freak Heat Waves new one has been doing it for me. Probably my most listened to album of the year. Very hard to categorise, there's post punk/ kraut touchstones but with this codeine-rap vibe. Singular atmosphere (except the track that sounds a bit like The Dandy Warhols....)

https://freakheatwaves.bandcamp.com/track/pushin-beyond

They were magnificent on our stage at Alt Escape (even if I do say so myself)

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Midge Ure last night in T.O. Some Ultravox, some solo and Visage's Fade To Grey, which he wrote, of course.

Hymn
Vienna
All Stood Still
Dancing With Tears In My Eyes
If I Was
Fade To Grey
I Remember (Death In The Afternoon)
New Europeans

And since Midge Ure was in Thin Lizzy, Midge and Paul Young doing "The Boys Are Back In Town" as an encore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw Deerhunter last night. I’m new to these guys, literally only started listening to their music about 4 months ago. Great gig, they really **** around with the songs with extended intros, jams and versions etc which was fun. Mate who knows them well said the set list was interesting. The sound, for whatever reason, was incredibly good as well; we all commented how pristine and clear it sounded. I loved it so much I ended up buying almost half their back catalogue on vinyl.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Saw Deerhunter last night. I’m new to these guys, literally only started listening to their music about 4 months ago. Great gig, they really **** around with the songs with extended intros, jams and versions etc which was fun. Mate who knows them well said the set list was interesting. The sound, for whatever reason, was incredibly good as well; we all commented how pristine and clear it sounded. I loved it so much I ended up buying almost half their back catalogue on vinyl.

In Brighton they opened with 6 brand new ones that really bode well for the new record. I wasn't so keen on their last one. We were saying the same thing about the sound, when they crank it up they are so so good.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Is the new LP anywhere near Halcyon Digest? The last 2 LPs were awful so I'd given up on them.

When I say brand new songs, I mean unreleased. On first listen they were much better. I thought Monomania was quite good fun tbh, the last LP, I could not get into.

But then I thought HD was a bit in and out. Cryptograms, Microcastle, the EP's of that era & the Atlas Sound & Lotus Plaza records of that era are where it's at for me.

Here Herr T, if you getting into Deehunter, do not sleep on Lotus Plaza, Lockett's side project. The first two records are amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrrZDigMKx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUyJnjA9jjM

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
When I say brand new songs, I mean unreleased. On first listen they were much better. I thought Monomania was quite good fun tbh, the last LP, I could not get into.

But then I thought HD was a bit in and out. Cryptograms, Microcastle, the EP's of that era & the Atlas Sound & Lotus Plaza records of that era are where it's at for me.

Here Herr T, if you getting into Deehunter, do not sleep on Lotus Plaza, Lockett's side project. The first two records are amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrrZDigMKx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUyJnjA9jjM

Yep I'm into all that and their gig a the C2 in 2010 was pure joy, but I enjoyed HD too.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yep I'm into all that and their gig a the C2 in 2010 was pure joy, but I enjoyed HD too.

I definitely enjoyed it but HD was where my interest began to wane.

Both of those Concorde gigs were fab. There was one where Esben supported (first time I saw them) and Deerhunter played a wild 10 minute or so version of 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Saw Deerhunter last weekend and also enjoyed them a lot.

I did think the lead singer/guitarist looked like the oddly lanky lovechild of Ric Ocasek and Vini Reilly.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
One of the stranger gigs I’ve been to last night, The Fallen Women at the Lexington In Islington. Basically a all female backing band who let members of the audience come on stage to sing songs by The Fall. A kind of live karaoke/stars in your eyes mix ‘tonight xxxxx is Mark E Smith’. Sounds terrible but was absolutely fantastic!
Tremendous fun, celebratory and respectful of MES and a chance to hear some great songs played live for the first time in many years. The standard of the singers was pretty high - a couple at least were in known bands but even better was the Fall fans living out their dream. Oh yes and a Fall disco in between sets with Fall fans dancing the night way!

If you’re curious and fancy a good night out they play the Hope and Ruin in October.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
One of the stranger gigs I’ve been to last night, The Fallen Women at the Lexington In Islington. Basically a all female backing band who let members of the audience come on stage to sing songs by The Fall. A kind of live karaoke/stars in your eyes mix ‘tonight xxxxx is Mark E Smith’. Sounds terrible but was absolutely fantastic!
Tremendous fun, celebratory and respectful of MES and a chance to hear some great songs played live for the first time in many years. The standard of the singers was pretty high - a couple at least were in known bands but even better was the Fall fans living out their dream. Oh yes and a Fall disco in between sets with Fall fans dancing the night way!

If you’re curious and fancy a good night out they play the Hope and Ruin in October.[/QUOTE

An enjoyable evening by the sounds of it. Was Vic Goddard one of the additional vocalists? Don’t suppose you have that Brighton date?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

If you’re curious and fancy a good night out they play the Hope and Ruin in October.[/QUOTE

An enjoyable evening by the sounds of it. Was Vic Goddard one of the additional vocalists? Don’t suppose you have that Brighton date?

Pretty sure they said Saturday 13th October but I can’t find anything announced anywhere.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone else catch Life at Green Door Store last night? I saw the end of their set at the Komedia at the Great Escape and thought they were great. Last night topped that- surely one of the most exciting new bands out there. Excellent support from Hotel Lux too.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Has the pleasure of seeing Meshuggah at a festival the other week. Not for the faint hearted but the musicianship on display was next level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here