Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stoke, Southampton, Swansea & Huddersfield. Remaining Fixtures.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I thought that when they played Everton. Everton safe but not a happy ship; it was tailor-made I thought for a typical Huddersfield 'up-and-at-em' performance that would blow a semi-disinterested Everton away. Didn't happen.

Anyway, we are 100% nailed-on safe even if we don't get another point. There's only one place left and in order for us to fill it Southampton AND West Ham AND Huddersfield AND Swansea have all got to hit some 'West Brom' form. Not just one or two of them - all four of them. Ain't gonna happen.

Ah...you may have misread the situation slightly at Everton.
Ever since that famous/infamous poll went out, Big Sam has been charged up to end the season strongly. The players are 100% behind him and want him to stay ( source : insider at Goodison ) and they are determined to get as many points as possible. They did a right job on Huddersfield, who, themselves were really up for it. Wagner knew it could be their make or break game but Everton snuffed them out completely.
Southampton have a terrible record at Goodison and will struggle to get anything there and on the last day, at home to City.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Exactly. Only two of the four teams below us have to go on any sort of run - the other two teams merely have to win one match. You can't explain that to some people though - even though we now have a very good chance of staying up, mathematically we are not there yet.
Us getting relegated from where we are now is indeed unlikely - but until there are three teams that can't catch us, it could still happen; things do sometimes happen in football that defy all odds - and all those celebrating now could end up looking as daft as Reading fans on the last day of the 2013-2014 season.........
I wonder if they're the same people who celebrated us winning the Championship last year?

You're spot on. It almost seems a race on here to boast 'I said we were safe 6 weeks ago'. In the hope that they can still say it when we (probably) survive. It's still conceivable we'll go down, but very unlikely. A point on Friday would really, really help though...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Let's assume we lost all 3 games, and concede say 10 goals (not unthinkable away at Man C, Liverpool and home to Man U). Then our final position would be 37 points -25 GD.

West Ham would be above us with 1 win (away at Leicester or home to Everton).
Huddersfield would be above us with 1 win (Arsenal at home).
Swansea would be above us with a win v Stoke and a draw at Bournemouth (assuming that they lose by less than they win by).
Southampton beat Swansea (see above) having already beaten Everton A.

..... it could still happen; things do sometimes happen in football that defy all odds - and all those celebrating now could end up looking as daft as Reading fans on the last day of the 2013-2014 season.........
I wonder if they're the same people who celebrated us winning the Championship last year?

Do you feel a bit happier having read the above GT? ...I was still a bit nervous but reading that long list of assumptions and precise results needed to topple us, it all feels very unlikely indeed and I now feel a lot more confident of staying up...

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I really don't want us to be involved on the last day as can see Hudds beating Arsenal (possibly Arsenal reserves if they get through in Europa) and surely Swansea would have picked up some points in their next 2 games, as will Saints. I just want it done, finished etc - and I feel a point on Friday would do that as we'd only need Hudds to lose away to MCity and Chelsea (not certain, but probable).

I can see it now. Huddersfield need to beat Arsenal. Southampton need to beat Man City and Swansea need to beat Stoke and Stoke need to beat Swansea in order to survive. That would be worth a bet. What odds on that. I hope Chris parks the bus for the next 3 games. Maybe nick a point or keep or GD down.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I can see it now. Huddersfield need to beat Arsenal. Southampton need to beat Man City and Swansea need to beat Stoke and Stoke need to beat Swansea in order to survive. That would be worth a bet. What odds on that. I hope Chris parks the bus for the next 3 games. Maybe nick a point or keep or GD down.

I don't think you'll get long odds on that :)

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
it's the game against Huddersfield City need to win to break Chelsea's Premier League points total, yes? Maybe they might have a collective day off following that (providing they win) :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly. Only two of the four teams below us have to go on any sort of run - the other two teams merely have to win one match. You can't explain that to some people though - even though we now have a very good chance of staying up, mathematically we are not there yet.
Us getting relegated from where we are now is indeed unlikely - but until there are three teams that can't catch us, it could still happen; things do sometimes happen in football that defy all odds - and all those celebrating now could end up looking as daft as Reading fans on the last day of the 2013-2014 season.........

Nah - being daft a la Reading would however be going on the pitch and celebrating on Friday even if we've lost the Man U match. Putting opinions/expectations on here is hardly at the same level........I also don't recall a lot of celebrating winning the championship last year either. When/where did this happen (again other than on here) ? Pre-match Bristol City was a last home game/promotion thing, away at Norwich was (with hindsight) a team on the beach and us not giving much of a toss at the time and Villa was horribly nervous (well I was anyway).

I don't think anyone is celebrating yet anyway - just being optimistic that the very likely outcome (1/50 likely) is that we're OK. Not guaranteed, we all know that, just very likely. Personally still don't think Swansea, Saints, Hudds and West Ham will all pick up enough points/goals to go past us. If we go to Liverpool needing something I'll be shitting myself though, and it's also so difficult to predict end of season games as teams either relax or head for the beach. Hoping United and Liverpool will be guilty of this to some degree.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

City are going flat out for all records and Liverpool may need to beat us to guarantee top four ( could happen ) Mourinho wants to finish 2nd, so it looks extremely unlikely that our GD won't suffer a serious dent.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Kind of. I want Huddersfield to stay up, one of Saints/Swansea to get the drop. But it could be Atletico's late equaliser at the Emirates that ends up relegating Huddersfield

Know your thinking. Like me, you fancy finishing above them next season ( plus Cardiff as well )

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Not sure a bookie will give you odds on both Swansea and Stoke winning final day. Add in BFS taking Everton to West Ham on the last day with a chance of sending them down, and it could all be very exciting. Defeats for everyone up until that final day with only Stoke winning at home to Palace and a draw between Swansea and Southampton gives us safety plus five teams battling out for survival. Would love to see this table going in to the last day:

Brighton 38
West Ham 35
Huddersfield 35
Swansea 34
Southampton 33
Stoke 33
WBA 31

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Nah - being daft a la Reading would however be going on the pitch and celebrating on Friday even if we've lost the Man U match. Putting opinions/expectations on here is hardly at the same level........I also don't recall a lot of celebrating winning the championship last year either. When/where did this happen (again other than on here) ? Pre-match Bristol City was a last home game/promotion thing, away at Norwich was (with hindsight) a team on the beach and us not giving much of a toss at the time and Villa was horribly nervous (well I was anyway).

I don't think anyone is celebrating yet anyway - just being optimistic that the very likely outcome (1/50 likely) is that we're OK. Not guaranteed, we all know that, just very likely. Personally still don't think Swansea, Saints, Hudds and West Ham will all pick up enough points/goals to go past us. If we go to Liverpool needing something I'll be shitting myself though, and it's also so difficult to predict end of season games as teams either relax or head for the beach. Hoping United and Liverpool will be guilty of this to some degree.

There was a lot of triumphalism on here pre Bristol C.....' Straightforward home game...only need one win....two more chances afterwards....in the bag....deserved champions etc '.....football is notoriously unpredictable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Swansea are 4 points behind, so would also need to win one draw one and hope our goal difference takes a big hit.
I know. If we lose our 3 games to the top 3 teams, there's a fair chance our GD will take a big hit. If Swansea need to beat already relegated Stoke for them to stay up, I expect they will. They'll probably get a point against Bournemouth too.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Funny how when some people look at this and they assume the bottom six are suddenly going to perform like champions whilst little old Brighton flop into the end of the season. We're safe and the bottom three clubs won't get anywhere near where we are now, relax and enjoy the rest of the season

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
But they don't have to hit 'West Brom' form though do they, West Ham and Huddersfield and Swansea only need to win one of their last 3. ....

Still means they've got to win a third of their remaining fixtures, meaning they've got to show something better than they've managed so far. I'm quite expecting one or two of them to do it, meaning that I am expecting our finishing position to be lower than we are currently, but we will be safe.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here