Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jiri Skalak, 23yo Czech attacker, confirmed signing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Peter Brezovan was Czechoslovakian by birth so strictly speaking our first Czech player although he's classed as Slovakian now.

Seeing as you're being pedantic, I will be too. If he is Slovakian then he was never our first Czech player - he was our first (and only) Czechoslovakian player. :thumbsup:

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
The keys to maintaining success this season are : -
1) Stability at the back.
2) Creativity in forward positions.
Two clean sheets in the last 14 games is a clear indication that we have been struggling at the back and its been obvious since the loss of Solly March and the awaited return of KLL that we have lost that spark, that excitement, that creativity. Knockaeret, KLL and Skalac will now provide that. The goals will now start coming again. You could have put Rhodes, McCormack, Austin, etc upfront for us and they wouldn't have scored for us, simply because very little was being created. Posters on here keep going on and on about a proven goalscorer but it wouldn't have made any difference. What we need is creativity and more decent chances being created. Hemed, Wilson and Zamora have been feeding off scraps. For all their hard work and skill, Kayal and Stephens are not creative. They do a terrific job but they won't set up the clear opportunities that are needed.
Skalac is a very good signing and Hughton and his team should be applauded. The posters on here bemoaning the apparent failure to sign a ' proven goalscorer ' and looking down their noses at Skalac really need to sit down and think about more about our team, how they are set up, how they play and what they need. I now feel with have enough ammo for the run-in. My big concern is how tight are we going to be at the back.

I think you are dead right - well said. Craetivity has been lacking for years. I would just add that I think the signing of Skalak probably signifies the end of the road for Lua Lua. I would imagine they are totally fed up with his lack of availability. However good he is its no good if he is not available to play

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Exciting signing. He manages to look both psychotic and camp at the same time. He also looks like a very good player that will fit well with the way that CH wants to play. If he lives up to my expectations he'll be great!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Well my Czech wife is well happy seeing as I have now forced her to watch several Albion games. I'm here in CZ until April but am travelling back for this Friday's game and NOW she wants to come back with me because of George (Jiri).

The Czechs are very, very proud of their sportspeople. So many people in my office have been asking me about him this morning. [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] and [MENTION=21996]Czechmate[/MENTION] are probably having the same reaction. It's great to see.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Have [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] or [MENTION=21996]Czechmate[/MENTION] offered an opinion yet?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Looking at the showreel three does seem to be plenty to get excited about. Skalek appears to be quick, not afraid to shoot, and able to LASH in the odd free kick or two.

The one thing we have done in this window is reload the gun. Hopefully we can get back to creating chances so that the front two can concentrate on staying in dangerous positions as we get the ball into the box on a more frequent basis.

Also with the loan window about to open there is still the prospect of Gnabry and an additional (more conventional) striker to come in. Exciting times ahead,

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The one thing we have done in this window is reload the gun. Hopefully we can get back to creating chances so that the front two can concentrate on staying in dangerous positions as we get the ball into the box on a more frequent basis.

Exactly: Knockeart 2 on a plate assists on home debut is reloading the gun big time!

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Looking at the showreel three does seem to be plenty to get excited about. Skalek appears to be quick, not afraid to shoot, and able to LASH in the odd free kick or two.

Also with the loan window about to open there is still the prospect of Gnabry and an additional (more conventional) striker to come in. Exciting times ahead,
I still think that with the right service and support, Hemed could do a decent job,.... its just about getting the right fit in terms of shape and personel.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Knockeart 2 on a plate assists on home debut isn't reloading the gun for you?

Yes it is and Knockaert is part of this window's business. I am hopeful this will continue and we return to our early season form. Very excited about friday's game now, especially as the players have had a break this week.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Knockeart 2 on a plate assists on home debut isn't reloading the gun for you?

Not sure of your point? :shrug:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I still think that with the right service and support, Hemed could do a decent job,.... its just about getting the right fit in terms of shape and personel.

I haven't seen Hemed strike a ball cleanly or with power yet. Add in his lack of pace and it will take a lot to convince me. Here's hoping.

My new surroundings becomes Brighton & Hove Albion FC
��
�� thank you parents who brought me to sparta football, thank you for what you taught me, thank you mladá boleslav, bought me from Sparta, she gave me the confidence and the opportunity to develop . Thank you all my family and girlfriend who constantly stands behind me and support me. Thank you to all my teammates, realizačnímu team, physiotherapists, short everyone I'd hate to forgetting someone. Last but not least, thank you to all my fans who supported me and constantly rooting for me, I appreciate it. I got the chance to move forward in football and came an offer I couldn't refuse. England has always been my dream, so I accepted this challenge, and I believe that I will continue to develop their soccer skills. Play Football in England for me means more motivation to be even better.

Why no mention of winning over Phat Baz in that statement ?

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I think you are dead right - well said. Creativity has been lacking for years. I would just add that I think the signing of Skalak probably signifies the end of the road for Lua Lua. I would imagine they are totally fed up with his lack of availability. However good he is its no good if he is not available to play

I wouldn't be so sure on that - every decent winger we've had in recent years has hit injury problems (Buckley, March, Kaz, Baldock) - which seems to imply we've either been overusing them, or that there's something not right with the Amex pitch. They've obviously decided they need a cadre of quick, interchangeable wingers who make sure the creativity doesn't vanish with one or two injuries.

You only need to see the chaos Kaz inflicted when he came on last week to see he still has a part to play. Exciting times!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes it is and Knockaert is part of this window's business. I am hopeful this will continue and we return to our early season form. Very excited about friday's game now, especially as the players have had a break this week.

SORRY! I've jumped the gun as I read your post as 'one thing we haven't done is reload the gun' - so we are in complete agreement there. :blush:

Friday's game should have us all buzzing with excitement. We've a seriously good squad for the next 3 months, time to build some momentum!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
One thing we have done with all our recent signings at all levels is to bring in very pacy and very direct players. Skill aside it gives a fair indication of how Hughton intends to set us up to play and bodes well for spectators

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here