Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We got a few factories some top end marques but mainly foreign owned.......so basically nothing....40 years of EU membership has eroded our manufacturing base...it could be argued.

It could be argued........by someone who has no knowledge of the history of the UK's competitiveness and industrial decline in the twentieth century.

The reason why the UK joined the EEC in the first place was because the economy was ****ed and had been in the post war period way before entry.

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It could be argued........by someone who has no knowledge of the history of the UK's competitiveness and industrial decline in the twentieth century.

The reason why the UK joined the EEC in the first place was because the economy was ****ed and had been in the post war period way before entry.

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

Like I said it could be argued.....fact is we had an out of shape declining industrial base we now have very little at all..

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have seen so much abuse and insults from the democratic minority over the past 24 hours or so on social media. Very similar to the Labour defeat of 2015. Incredible really, and very much toys out of prams. These leftys will never understand the winners at the polls.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
One Brexit clown on here is looking forward to getting rid of dirty 'euro' measures like the kilogram and the meter and bringing back good olde English measures like the pound and the yard.

:ffsparr:

I heard one guy on channel 4 news last night saying less Muslims would come to the country now we are out of the EU.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I, too, was one that voted for us to enter the Common Market (or EEC, or EU) all those years ago. Then, it was just that, a market place for like minded countries. Had I known that it would spawn into the Frankenstein monster of bureaucratic intransigence that it is now I may have voted against.

Was intransigence in your word of the day calendar? I've read it in your posts twice in 2 minutes. :)

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Not voted leave, but didn't vote because they were not adequately informed.

"Well how much research did you do"
"None, but no one sent me anything to help"
"Probably best you didn't vote then....."

We work in an office where everyone has a laptop/pc.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Absolutely. So to blame the EU is stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No escaping the fact that we leave with less than we started with though.....I am just saying and am not apportioning blame it may sound that way but fact is we leave with less for all number of reason

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
O

I heard one guy on channel 4 news last night saying less Muslims would come to the country now we are out of the EU.

This. The guy from Barnsley who actually said he doesn't mind people from Europe coming here but not muslims or people from Syria and Iraq. Astonishing.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
As ever, the truth is complex.

The European Commission has no interest in renegotiating. Their self interest is now best served by attempting to make an example of us to prevent further dissident nations getting the same idea. This is why Juncker is behaving like a jilted lover (which, in a way, he is) and insisting on immediate withdrawal discussions. He can go whistle in this regard. The process for departure was set out in one of his precious treaties and it is for us to decide when to hit the Article 50 button.

However, what is in the best interests of the European Commission is not necessarily what is best for the various nation states. Merkel has taken a far more ameliorative tone and it is interesting to note that the German equivalent of the CBI has already stated that it does not wish to see tariffs raised between the two countries. We are one of their best markets and they can ill afford to obstruct potential business.

What it seems we may have is a conflict between what is best for the European Commission and some of its member states. It would be fascinating to watch this power play unfold if we weren't slap bang in the middle of it all. In this instance it is probably best for us if business interests win out and the commission is told to wind its neck in a little. If that proves to be the case then there could well be some sort of accommodation or renegotiation. I still would not be surprised to see some sort of deal requiring a further referendum in 12-18 months time. I don't think it is highly likely but it's more than just a fanciful notion.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I, too, was one that voted for us to enter the Common Market (or EEC, or EU) all those years ago. Then, it was just that, a market place for like minded countries. Had I known that it would spawn into the Frankenstein monster of bureaucratic intransigence that it is now I may have voted against.

Which aspects of the EU resemble a Frankenstein monster of bureaucratic intransigence?

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
The war finished 70 years ago how long before its ok to move on and not hold a grudge against the Germans and other Axis powers.

Because there are still many here who lived through the war and because this 'Project' albeit with great stealth was started within a few years of the war ending.. This project wasn't about peace and trade it was about controlling half a billion people and destroying any sense of nationality and culture and mongrolising the ethnic populations . Of course there was also the huge sums of money to be made for the selected corporations.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The Times interviewed four people in Margate two weeks ago. All wanted to leave. Their reasons were:

1. "I went to Calais the other day. There were 50 fishing boats in the harbour. Margate has got one." (This suggests that the number of fishing boats in your harbour has nothing to do with the EU.)

2. "There are too many muslims in England."

3. (Didn't say anything. Just started singing Land of Hope & Glory).

4. "I don't like Cameron. He's a politician. I want Boris. He's an entertainer-politician."

A High Street shopkeeper in Sussex was telling customers earlier this week that he was voting out because when his dad was in hospital there were too many blacks in the waiting rooms.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My other favourite was a 'ChurchMinister'who said that in the bible it says Europe is doomed but Great Britain will be spared.
Luckily, he didn't vote because it wouldn't be fair.
No, I didn't understand either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here