Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What do you consider to be the greatest 'difficult' third album of all time ?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Also 'This Leaden Pall' - Half Man, Half Biscuit.

edit: and forgot one of my favourite albums, 'It's A Wonderful Life' -Sparklehorse.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Jam - All Mod Cons. Taking it to a WHOLE new level.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Master of Puppets - Metallica
Machine Gun Etiquette -The Damned
Bomber - Motorhead
All Mod Cons -The Jam
Number Of The Beast -Iron Maiden
Diminished Responsibility- UK Subs (yes , I know it's the D album and therefore 4th, but Crash Course was a live album) with 24 albums, they still play 3 songs from this one live.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy bible

Thank the sweet baby Jesus someone finally got round to this. NSC it's an absolute SHAMBLES that it got to post 89 before getting mentioned. Shame on you. SHAME ON YOU!

There have been some excellent nominations on this thread but the only one comparable is O.K computer. O.K and the holy bible, two of the five greatest albums ever made. Factorama.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ironically not even his best album but certainly qualifies as one of the greatest third albums (not in the "difficult" category really because at this point in time he was knocking amazing songs out in a seemingly endless flow) - Bob Dylan and The Times They Are A-Changin'

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Has anyone mentioned Madonna 'True Blue' yet?

3oksxt.jpg :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Her stratospheric rise to pop royalty was all down to the risks she took with taking control of the production, song-writing and style of True Blue.

I can't think of too many musicians that have had as many hits as her so she must have done something right. You don't have to like her music to acknowledge her success.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Her stratospheric rise to pop royalty was all down to the risks she took with taking control of the production, song-writing and style of True Blue.

I can't think of too many musicians that have had as many hits as her so she must have done something right. You don't have to like her music to acknowledge her success.

I do take your point, but as for the 'Greatest 3rd album of all time' really ???

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Seeing I got no love for urban hymns, I thought that was a great shout. How about pink moon by Nick drake? Or wheels on fire by cream?

Thinking about it 3rd albums are only difficult when bands are forced to be more commercial and lose their creativity, or the other extreme of disappearing up their own backsides.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

To follow up one of the early 90's best albums in Siamese Dream, with an ambitious double album (not as good as SD in my opinion) which was widely received with even more praise, is surely the very definition of making a great 'difficult' third album.

Adore aside, is not worth talking about the future albums they released. But Mellon Collie :rock:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here