Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team of Brighton home grown players

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Following the thread about compiling a team of ex Brighton players still playing, l thought l would see if there were sufficient home grown players to make a credible team. We seem pretty good at producing defenders but I'm struggling to remember a prolific home grown centre forward and a reserve gk!

Walton
Harding, Elphick, Dunk, Cox,
Hammond, Barry, Piper,
Towner, McPhee, March

Lynch, El Abd, Cox, Martin, Robinson, Forster-Caskey,

As good as tiny Cox was, he was no left back. Ian Chapman on the other hand.....

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Paul Ifil?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He is the best home grown goalkeeper that we had. so

Powney
El Abd..... Elphick......Cook....Mayo
Towner.....Templeman,,,,,JFC.....Neate
Robinson Gatting....​

Bit pushed for left wing and main striker so went for Derek Neate and Joe Gatting
If 'still playing' isn't a criteria, I'd go for Adrian Thorne on the left.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Was Gary Stevens a product of our youth team?

No, came to us from Ipswich Town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought l read somewhere that he was 15 when he came to Brighton.

Gary Stevens was released by Ipswich during his U-16 schoolboy season. He came to Albion at the start of the following campaign and played a few matches on trial for the youth team before being taken on as an apprentice professional (what these days is known as a scholar). This is taken from the programme against Oldham on 9 September 1978:-

GaryStevens.jpg

People generally regard Solly March as being a product of our youth system; he joined the Albion in December of his 1st scholar year. So, if you accept Solly as being a youth team product, Gary Stevens has even more of a claim, seeing as he joined the club a few months earlier in comparative terms.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
You would have thought in all the years, the area would have produced just one decent striker.

The area did produce one. See post #40.

He is still Tranmere's all time top goalscorer (ahead of John Aldridge amongst others) with 180 goals in all competitions and 146 league goals in only 330 games. This includes plenty scored at Championship level, so he was easily good enough to have played for us and we held him long enough to have spotted his potential, but never gave him a try.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The area did produce one. See post #40.

He is still Tranmere's all time top goalscorer (ahead of John Aldridge amongst others) with 180 goals in all competitions and 146 league goals in only 330 games. This includes plenty scored at Championship level, so he was easily good enough to have played for us and we held him long enough to have spotted his potential, but never gave him a try.

It really didn't. Muir was born in Coventry and by the time he joined Albion he was almost 21 and we were his fourth club. He isn't a "home-grown" player by any stretch of the imagination. Kevin Russell would be a much better shout on that score.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It really didn't. Muir was born in Coventry and by the time he joined Albion he was almost 21 and we were his fourth club. He isn't a "home-grown" player by any stretch of the imagination. Kevin Russell would be a much better shout on that score.

Kevin Russell has a similar paper trail as Gary Stevens in terms of timing, both came to the club before the apprentice/scholar decisions so their progress after that might be attributed to the subsequent youth set ups, although Russell was released by Brighton like a million other failed scholars and rebounded after that, so I am not sure Russell can be anything else other than 'was here once', whereas Stevens flourished and would attribute the Brighton coaches, whom at youth level were local themselves in John Shepherd and Mick Fogden as fundamental on his progress, but neither are local by any stretch of the imagination.,

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I think Muir came to Brighton from QPR, good player but still didnt do much here, so I agree Muir isnt ours either.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Played against him in the Sussex Senior Cup a few years ago when he was still at Worthing and he scored an audacious chip and was very impressed by him generally, so I'd agree with you there. Was he in the Albion youth setup prior to that? Must say I wasn't aware of that

Hendon was at the Centre of Excellence for a few years but wasn't offered a scholarship, his dad Mark is still involved with the Academy recruitment department.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here