Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
11% rise in UK exports since referendum cited by Liam Fox's department as evidence 'British goods and services are in demand across the world'

15% fall in value of sterling against euro and dollar since referendum which increases exports correspondingly

Private Eye Issue 1451

Going well

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I would be interested to know if you think there are any circumstances where a referendum is appropriate. For instance the Scottish Referendum as similar arguments hold.

Referendums can be useful with regard to local or regional issues where the role of our national parliament is not appropriate. For example, it would not be realistic to expect Westminster to debate and then decide the independence of Scotland. Or, for that matter, whether Brighton & Hove Albion should have its new home at Falmer.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Some might say it's proof of double standards that one side gets people banned but despite repeated accusations of bullying the other side are allowed to carry on their own sweet way until the person is hounded off NSC.
Sorry a bit late to this one. Just wanted to let both captains know I still haven't been picked yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I won't comment any further than this post but .... Soulman? Accusing others of bullying and name calling!? And backed up by Buzzer of all people.
What next? Bushy goes gluten free? Das Reich starts dating Hilary Clinton.
Get a ****ing grip.

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I won't comment any further than this post but .... Soulman? Accusing others of bullying and name calling!? And backed up by Buzzer of all people.
What next? Bushy goes gluten free? Das Reich starts dating Hilary Clinton.
Get a ****ing grip.

The bullying exists and the posters know very well who they are.I think it is how the lefties are trained,as most of them are cowards unless they get back-up.Any thread about Tories,Trump,Racists,etc. & the momentum groupies are like flies on a cow-pat.If nobody backs them on a normal thread they lie low for a bit.Not worth complaining to the mods as most are 2003-listed,and bullet-proof.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Anybody ever heard of this 'Posted Worker Directive' that Macron is trying to get banned?Sounds a bit like indentured slavery to me,operated by dodgy employment agencies.Macron reckons he could reduce France's 9.6% unemployment significantly if it was gone.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The bullying exists and the posters know very well who they are.I think it is how the lefties are trained,as most of them are cowards unless they get back-up.Any thread about Tories,Trump,Racists,etc. & the momentum groupies are like flies on a cow-pat.If nobody backs them on a normal thread they lie low for a bit.Not worth complaining to the mods as most are 2003-listed,and bullet-proof.

I suppose it all depends how seriously one takes it all. I've been followed onto other, unrelated threads by 3 seperate posters and had some nasty PM's from posters. All of whom happen to be self proclaimed right wing, Leave voters.
So I know for a fact it is not just "lefties".
I personally couldn't care less, I find it all laughable. However, I suppose if someone claims that they are being bullied then it must be real, if only to them. It is a shame somebody felt persecuted to the point of leaving. However, I won't feel too sorry for Soulman as he was very, very prolific with dishing out insults and taking grudges into other threads. Perhaps if he returns he may have a bit more insight of actions and consequences.

And that really is my last comment on the matter , I feel it would be all too easy to get labelled a bully on this thread.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Anybody ever heard of this 'Posted Worker Directive' that Macron is trying to get banned?Sounds a bit like indentured slavery to me,operated by dodgy employment agencies.Macron reckons he could reduce France's 9.6% unemployment significantly if it was gone.

It ensures that workers sent from one country to another on a temporary basis are afforded the basic minimum rights of workers in the destination country, such as minimum wage. Their is a revision in process, specifically to raise this bar closer to equal conditions to employees in the destination country.
The revision should fix the issues that arise in countries with high levels of employee security and benefits.
Nothing like slavery, it has been abused as a way of hiring in persons from another member state on a temporary basis, cheaper and/or more flexibly than it would be to hire a local.
The aim of the directive is laudable, but as with much legislation, there were unintended consequences, and a revision is required.

Currently a UK company sending a minimum wage employee to France to work, would have to increase their wage by about a hundred euros a month, drop his working hours to 35 a week, and increase his minimum annual leave entitlement to 30 days so as to match locally employed people.
In future, once the revision is approved by all states, the worker would also be entitled to any bonuses or allowances that a locally employed person would be entitled to.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Referendums can be useful with regard to local or regional issues where the role of our national parliament is not appropriate. For example, it would not be realistic to expect Westminster to debate and then decide the independence of Scotland. Or, for that matter, whether Brighton & Hove Albion should have its new home at Falmer.

Scotland is a country. Your argument was partly based on the this ....

The referendum was a simple yes/no question that took no account of how important the subject was to individuals relative to other topics. It placed a hugely complex issue in splendid isolation and invited people to see the subject in simple black and white.

If it's ok for them to have a simple yes/no referendum placing a hugely complex issue in splendid isolation to decide to break from a 300-year-old union

:shrug:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It ensures that workers sent from one country to another on a temporary basis are afforded the basic minimum rights of workers in the destination country, such as minimum wage. Their is a revision in process, specifically to raise this bar closer to equal conditions to employees in the destination country.
The revision should fix the issues that arise in countries with high levels of employee security and benefits.
Nothing like slavery, it has been abused as a way of hiring in persons from another member state on a temporary basis, cheaper and/or more flexibly than it would be to hire a local.
The aim of the directive is laudable, but as with much legislation, there were unintended consequences, and a revision is required.

Currently a UK company sending a minimum wage employee to France to work, would have to increase their wage by about a hundred euros a month, drop his working hours to 35 a week, and increase his minimum annual leave entitlement to 30 days so as to match locally employed people.
In future, once the revision is approved by all states, the worker would also be entitled to any bonuses or allowances that a locally employed person would be entitled to.

Thanks for that.My sis-in-law thought it meant that the Rumanian building site workers in France were being paid at the rates they would be getting in Rumania,if there were any work there.Newscasters on French tv seem to talk at 150 kph,so she must have misunderstood.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Thanks for that.My sis-in-law thought it meant that the Rumanian building site workers in France were being paid at the rates they would be getting in Rumania,if there were any work there.Newscasters on French tv seem to talk at 150 kph,so she must have misunderstood.

It could mean that, if the rates they were getting in Romania are above French minimum wage. In future this would not be the case, and they would be afforded the same rates of pay as locals doing the same job, not necessarily on the same job, but the general rate of pay for that role in the area. It would also be illegal to pay a subcontractor less than the rates of the main contractor, and agencies posting workers to another country must comply with the destination law for agencies.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It could mean that, if the rates they were getting in Romania are above French minimum wage. In future this would not be the case, and they would be afforded the same rates of pay as locals doing the same job, not necessarily on the same job, but the general rate of pay for that role in the area. It would also be illegal to pay a subcontractor less than the rates of the main contractor, and agencies posting workers to another country must comply with the destination law for agencies.

No wonder Macron was upset with it.Wouldn't have thought builders would bother getting up for 1500 Euros a month!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Any bullying/ganging up on people is cowardly. Useful tips I try to follow.

Try and keep a sense of humour, try to play the ball not the man (unless they are Trolls or Palace obviously) and remember we all have off days.

Hope to see [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] back on here soon, enjoyed his contributions.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Tener.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

2003 listed?

Just asking, because I don't know the answer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here