Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ireland GoalKeeper sent off during Penalty Shootout Euro U17

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Fantastic commentary from the Irish guys.

"Did he move too soon?"
"I don't care! Ha ha ha!"
"He's not making him take it again? No!"
"He's making him take it again. And he's giving him a ye...oh no..."
"He can't give him a yellow?"
"He's sent him off, he has? What's he doin'? What is he doin'?"

:lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Seems fair enough, keeper was cheating by running miles off his line.

Well, he clearly wasn't miles off his line. As was pointed out, one foot was still on the line.

The issue, unfortunately, is back to our old mucker '... but what about...?' The keeper's position when the shot was taken was no worse (in terms of being off his line) than many, if not most, penalties. Would like to see other penalties in the same shoot-out, and if the other keeper saved any during that shoot-out.

Sadly, the commentators didn't seem to have a clue about the rules.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Did they score the re-take and win?

Yes.

The annoying thing is the referee applied the laws of the game correctly in this instance but not for other penalties in the SAME shootout. It’s like refs who give a penalty for shirt-pulling but ignore the multiple other offences in the same match.

This keeper was no further off his line than Schmeichel when he saved Murray’s penalty this season. No consistency.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
This takes me back to a poser from a few years back. I cant remember the game, but it went to pens and then down the line 10 : 10 with only the keepers left to take a penalty each.
The first keeper who was in goal, wasted time trying to crack the opposing keeper who was taking the penalty. Had the ref 'sent off' the first keeper, thus a reserve keeper coming in, would the opposing keeper take his penalty as obviously the 11th player of team 1, namely the keeper, has been sent off.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well, he clearly wasn't miles off his line. As was pointed out, one foot was still on the line.

The issue, unfortunately, is back to our old mucker '... but what about...?' The keeper's position when the shot was taken was no worse (in terms of being off his line) than many, if not most, penalties. Would like to see other penalties in the same shoot-out, and if the other keeper saved any during that shoot-out.

Sadly, the commentators didn't seem to have a clue about the rules.

Much as i agree with you on Twitter about the caution etc at least the other guy you were talking to brought up law 18 - the most important law - common sense. He’s clearly a qualified ref. I remember trying to explain to others on here about that all important law they teach you [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] especially!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Much as i agree with you on Twitter about the caution etc at least the other guy you were talking to brought up law 18 - the most important law - common sense. He’s clearly a qualified ref. I remember trying to explain to others on here about that all important law they teach you [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] especially!

I know about the fabled 'Law 18', and my argument on Twitter isn't about whether he should have order a re-take. To my mind, he shouldn't have - not without there being a clarification of what 'moving off the line' means in reality.

What's going on on Twitter is a Man U fan who believes the ref has some leeway regarding yellow cards once he has ordered a re-take because of an infringement by the keeper. He doesn't.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This takes me back to a poser from a few years back. I cant remember the game, but it went to pens and then down the line 10 : 10 with only the keepers left to take a penalty each.
The first keeper who was in goal, wasted time trying to crack the opposing keeper who was taking the penalty. Had the ref 'sent off' the first keeper, thus a reserve keeper coming in, would the opposing keeper take his penalty as obviously the 11th player of team 1, namely the keeper, has been sent off.

I believe that if one team is down to ten men when a match goes to pens, then only ten from the other side can take penalties. Otherwise the side that has had a man sent off is theoretically at an advantage if it goes beyond ten penalties each as one of their best five would have a second chance against the 11th-best of the other team. So I presume that the same would apply if there is a red card during a shootout.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I believe that if one team is down to ten men when a match goes to pens, then only ten from the other side can take penalties. Otherwise the side that has had a man sent off is theoretically at an advantage if it goes beyond ten penalties each as one of their best five would have a second chance against the 11th-best of the other team. So I presume that the same would apply if there is a red card during a shootout.

This is correct and in the scenario described would give the team with only 10 a massive disadvantage as instead of a keeper taking the penalty against the other teams keeper, it would be their first penalty taker (and presumably much better at taking penalties) against an outfield player in goal for the opposition!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
OK, next question.
Substitution. Ireland could not bring on their sub keeper and from what I understood, they had not used all their subs. Correct?

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Its quite interesting. When the ball is struck he's still pretty much entirely on the line. After you alowed to dive forward? For example could you dive directly towards the kicker or do you have to dive along the line or stay where you are?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
OK, next question.
Substitution. Ireland could not bring on their sub keeper and from what I understood, they had not used all their subs. Correct?

"A goalkeeper who is sent off must be replaced by an eligible player." IFAB Laws of the Game 2016-17, p74.

An eligible player is defined as someone who finished the game and is listed as one of the penalty takers.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Shocking decision. I wouldn't see that down at the park.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here