Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Employment change question

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I work as a maintenance technician in a private hospital. There’s two of us looking after the building.
Duties electrical, plumbing to medical gases plant room maintenance etc.
However, they want to give me and my colleague an extra role within the hospital which has nothing to do at all with our current duties.
The new roles are waste management and environmental officer.
The roles mean completing all sorts of audits and paperwork in accordance with SEPA.
can they impose these new roles upon us?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I work as a maintenance technician in a private hospital. There’s two of us looking after the building.
However, they want to give me and my colleague an extra role within the hospital which has nothing to do at all with our current duties.
The roles mean completing all sorts of audits and paperwork in accordance with SEPA.

Depends entirely on what your contract says. Many will have a clause that says something like “...plus any other duties that management deem reasonable...”. Does yours have such a clause? If so, then it’s a judgment call about whether what they’re asking you to do is “reasonable”, which is subjective, and would ultimately depend on what a tribunal panel would determine.

The other thing to bear in mind is nothing to do with the contractual situation - how badly do you want to keep this job?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'd go for it and demand the necessary training to fulfil the role. A good career development for the next job..plus once they've trained you they'd be more reluctant to loose you hence more cash when you find something else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
They can do a service review, make both current roles/jobs redundant, and create two new roles/jobs with new job descriptions and person specifications which you may or may not be able to fulfill. If you are lucky they may fence the new roles to you. There are various rules they have to abide by, but any decent HR manager can get round them.

If you say no or object, they can find someone else.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A contract of employment these days is pretty much one way , if they want you to take these extra roles on they can simply tear up your old contact and give you a new one containing the extra responsibilities. I worked for a company that changed the contracts we had and many people were unsure as to whether they should sign, the company just said that if you do not sign them by a given date they would simply assume they had been signed.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I would suggest making such a pigs orphan of the new responsibilities that your bosses never ask you to do them again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

They want you to put out the bins, but are giving you a fancy title and extra paperwork for doing it. :)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
They want you to put out the bins, but are giving you a fancy title and extra paperwork for doing it. :)

It’s not like that. They have porters and theatre porters for that.
It’ll be more of PPMs, filling out loads of spreadsheets and preparing for audits.
We are maintenance and no idea of stuff like this or do we have time for extra roles. We barely get time to complete PPMs on time with all other reactive works and repairs we do.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
It’ll be more of PPMs, filling out loads of spreadsheets and preparing for audits.
We are maintenance and no idea of stuff like this or do we have time for extra roles. We barely get time to complete PPMs on time with all other reactive works and repairs we do.

Work harder then.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'd go for it and demand the necessary training to fulfil the role. A good career development for the next job..plus once they've trained you they'd be more reluctant to loose you hence more cash when you find something else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No idea about the legalities (well I have an incling and it's been mentioned already). Would you have a good reason to say no (or you dont just not want to) I agree with this quoted post, it cant harm your cv, will make you more valuable to the company, and that should be in their need to keep you, and with extra respnsibility should could some extra money. Whether this will happen who know. Good luck. Having been out of work for a while try and see it as an opportunity gained rather than a piss take even if you dont want it (but dont get the piss taken out of you either)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Whats a PPM? Sorry I already replied. Most of it still stands, an opportunity to upskill as a positive. Sounds to me reading that though though it should be a different roll, or more under someone elses umbrella of remit. Interested what you do so let us know. Try and get something out of it if it's inevitable, some triaining/money and use it in your favour

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I would put all your concerns down on paper using such wording as "we are concerned that, without proper training and support the. Hospital is exposing us, and itself, to falling foul of statutory inspections and compliance" and "whilst we remain happy to work hard and support the organisation we have concerns that we are being asked to fulfil roles which we are neither competent nor prepared to undertake"

I also would recommend using their tag line against them..most hospitals have a slogan like "valuing patients and staff" or some other jarg comment. Refer to that in your letter. HR love that shit.

Copy your line manager and HR / Operations manager.

They'll discuss it with you, guaranteed. Remember. Prepare for success or prepare to fail. Never go in with a bunch of issues without a solution.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Whats a PPM?

PPMs are pre-planned preventative maintenance.
So will involve weekly checks, monthly checks and annual checks.
This will cover a whole multitude of checks of plant equipment to hospital equipment.
Won’t bore you with details but nearly everything gets checked at some point and we have to fill in spreadsheets to show equipment has been checked

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They can do a service review, make both current roles/jobs redundant, and create two new roles/jobs with new job descriptions and person specifications which you may or may not be able to fulfill. If you are lucky they may fence the new roles to you. There are various rules they have to abide by, but any decent HR manager can get round them.

If you say no or object, they can find someone else.

No disrespect to HR managers, but this will be meat and potatoes to most employment lawyers.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Work harder then.

Always work smarter not harder.

Never go in with a bunch of issues without a solution.

This.

It would be best to open a dialogue with your boss about your concerns but keep it positive. You don’t know what they are thinking entirely. They may have plans to hire someone on a full/part time basis to help with the workload. Plus, extra responsibility should come with remuneration at the very latest at your next review.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

When asked I tell people my job:

Installs, maintains, and repairs pipes and fixtures associated with heating, cooling, water distribution, and sanitation systems in residential and commercial structures. Fixes domestic appliances, such as dishwashers and gas cookers. Inspects drainage and other plumbing systems for compliance with local and national regulations.

Plumber Job Duties:
Interprets blueprints and building specifications to map layout for pipes, drainage systems, and other plumbing materials
Installs pipes and fixtures, such as sinks and toilets, for water, gas, steam, air, or other liquids
Installs supports for pipes, equipment, and fixtures prior to installation
Assembles fittings and valves for installation
Modifies length of pipes, fixtures, and other plumbing materials as needed for a building
Uses saws and pipe cutters as necessary
Installs heating and air-conditioning systems, including water heaters
Collaborates with contractors, construction workers, electricians, pipefitters, and steamfitters in installing and repairing plumbing
Tests plumbing systems for leaks and other problems
Analyses problem and identifies appropriate tools and materials for repair
Chooses plumbing materials based on budget, location, and intended uses of building
Follows health and safety standards and complies with building codes
Writes report documenting the problem and summary of actions taken
Performs inspections of plumbing systems to identify and replace worn parts
Prepares bids and schedules and oversees other workers, such as apprentices and helpers
Plumber Job Skills and Qualifications:
Collaborative, Problem-Solving and Analytical Skills, Decision-Making Ability, Good Listening Skills, Strong Verbal Communication, Stress- and Time-Management Skills, Business and Accounting Skills, Customer-Service and Interpersonal Skills, Mechanical and Technical Skills, Physical Stamina and Strength, Excellent Trouble-Shooting Ability's.

At the end of the day ----- just a Plumber :moo:

Also Tiler & Kitchen fitter :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

As others have said it probably comes down to your contract. That said, do you have an issue with these new roles being “imposed” on you? Does it mean extra hours? Is it a higher level of responsibility which you feel you will not be appropriately compensated for? And do you feel you can have an honest and open conversation, without any recriminations, with your employers about any concerns?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When asked I tell people my job:

Installs, maintains, and repairs pipes and fixtures associated with heating, cooling, water distribution, and sanitation systems in residential and commercial structures. Fixes domestic appliances, such as dishwashers and gas cookers. Inspects drainage and other plumbing systems for compliance with local and national regulations.

Plumber Job Duties:
Interprets blueprints and building specifications to map layout for pipes, drainage systems, and other plumbing materials
Installs pipes and fixtures, such as sinks and toilets, for water, gas, steam, air, or other liquids
Installs supports for pipes, equipment, and fixtures prior to installation
Assembles fittings and valves for installation
Modifies length of pipes, fixtures, and other plumbing materials as needed for a building
Uses saws and pipe cutters as necessary
Installs heating and air-conditioning systems, including water heaters
Collaborates with contractors, construction workers, electricians, pipefitters, and steamfitters in installing and repairing plumbing
Tests plumbing systems for leaks and other problems
Analyses problem and identifies appropriate tools and materials for repair
Chooses plumbing materials based on budget, location, and intended uses of building
Follows health and safety standards and complies with building codes
Writes report documenting the problem and summary of actions taken
Performs inspections of plumbing systems to identify and replace worn parts
Prepares bids and schedules and oversees other workers, such as apprentices and helpers
Plumber Job Skills and Qualifications:
Collaborative, Problem-Solving and Analytical Skills, Decision-Making Ability, Good Listening Skills, Strong Verbal Communication, Stress- and Time-Management Skills, Business and Accounting Skills, Customer-Service and Interpersonal Skills, Mechanical and Technical Skills, Physical Stamina and Strength, Excellent Trouble-Shooting Ability's.

At the end of the day ----- just a Plumber :moo:

Also Tiler & Kitchen fitter :)

And that's just on a Monday :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

You're lucky to have a job ...... ( joking )

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here