Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
You have to laugh at labour voters - defending Corbyn to the hill over his proven terrorist sympathy but now the tories are talking about a coalition with the DUP - Outcry! Delusional hypocrites

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Guardian reporting DUP deal...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
...and less than the shambolic Theresa May in 2017.

Is it the taking part and not the winning that counts now?

Why mention the comparison with Kinnock then? He lost too, but you pointed out the number of seats in comparison as if you can compare coming second, I merely pointed out the vote share.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not really true though is it? If Sinn Fein hadn't won those seats, WHO would have won them? Sinn Fein not winning them would have meant the Tory's (and questionable new chums) had a stronger hand.

I'm not talking about the winning but the abstentionism. If they rocked up in Westminster perhaps we'd finally get a picture of Corbyn and McDonnell with those Irish chaps*.

(* - what's that - they have actually met before?)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Well again, I need to disagree. It is still funny because many Labour supporters seem to be championing some sort of success this morning. Again: he lost by a long way to a dreadful PM who ran an atrocious campaign with a godawful manifesto and the markets have him less likely to be the next PM than Boris Johnson.

Let's say that again: bumbling buffoon Boris Johnson is more likely to be the next PM than Jeremy Corbyn.

Yay - way to go Jezza - you slayed 'em good and proper!

Oh come on Bozza, surely you have to concede that to have gained over 30 seats and eroded scores of Tory majorities in previously "safe" constituencies across the country will definitely be considered a success for Corbyn's campaign. To have gotten an overall majority would have taken a national swing of unprecedented proportions.

What's impressive here is just how much damage was inflicted upon the Tories in their heartlands, when the battle was supposed to be all about the reverse being the case.

Some of the Labour numbers are staggering. Looking around the home counties where Tory majorities have long been a foregone conclusion you've got places like Reigate, Surrey East and Maidstone with the Labour share being higher than its been in decades. In some cases having seen a swing of over 10 points - IN THE HOME COUNTIES.

In fact the last time a Labour party candidate finished second in Surrey East (commonly regarded as among THE safest Tory seats in the entire country) was in the 1950s, when there were only two parties contesting the seat. That by itself shows a staggering growth in the party's popularity among people in constituencies where they were given zero hope whatsoever.

It's too early to read too much into it, but regardless of party loyalties what Labour have done this election is something quite staggering. You can't deny this was seismic

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
You have to laugh at labour voters - defending Corbyn to the hill over his proven teordorist sympathy but now the tories are talking about a coalition with the DUP - Outcry! Delusional hypocrites

The outcry is an ironic outcry about the hypocritical u turn.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
opposition to the DUP is based on their policies and agenda right now, whereas the Corbyn smears were about things that took place decades ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My sister was blown half way across Harrods by the IRA.
I dont see the comparison and the calling that the IRA and The DUP are the same.

I've been searching for links between the DUP and any form of terrorism. There have been financial irregularities with expenses but no connection with paramilitary groups.
In fact, On 11 June 2008 the party supported the government's proposal to detain terror suspects for up to 42 days, leading to The Independent dubbing all of the party's nine MPs as part of "Brown's dirty dozen". The Times reported that the party had been given "sweeteners for Northern Ireland" and "a peerage for the Rev Ian Paisley", amongst other offers, to secure Gordon Brown's bill.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So what went wrong for the SNP....lost a large percentage of there seats...plus Alex ousted
Nothing apparently, they've done great, winning the majority of seats.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So she's clinging on for now. I didn't think we could get a more self centered PM than Dave but TM is proving me wrong. She really doesn't give a shit about the country, just like Cameron, it's all about saving her own skin. And just like Cameron it'll fail.
Not like the wonderful Corbyn, he'd definitely go if he wasn't wanted.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
My sister was blown half way across Harrods by the IRA.

I am sorry about that, but that has nothing to do with my comment at all.

I dont see the comparison and the calling that the IRA and The DUP are the same.
If i have to explain this then you probably souldn't be commenting to my post

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
She said this:

"If I lose just SIX seats then Jeremy Corbyn will be doing the Brexit negotiations"

So obviously that's something else she's got completely wrong.

On the other hand, I'm not saying Corbyn has proved a triumph but he hasn't used such feeble scaremongering soundbites that could come back to bite him on the arse. Unlike May. Clearly.

Yes, she was wrong. Turns out the Tories could lose more seats and Labour would still be nowhere near government.

Corbyn was wrong. He pledged to win the election.

You were wrong:

The country doesn't need a gutless, spineless inert clown leading the Labour party.

You're a disgrace. F**k off. Get Chuka in.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This feels like the 83 cup final (or any other draw in a cup game between teams in different leagues) We'll be having a replay fairly soon, and there's no way that the Tories will play quite so badly next time, and JC will have lost his surprise element as the underdog.

I very much suspect that we'll have another election before the end of the year, and the Tories will get back in with a majority. But the interim period will be interesting.

As for the DUP - they seem to be more right wing than the Tories. But I don't think they actually need them very often, as with 319 out of 643 taken up seats, it's pretty near a majority anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You have to laugh at labour voters - defending Corbyn to the hill over his proven terrorist sympathy but now the tories are talking about a coalition with the DUP - Outcry! Delusional hypocrites

This is just people calling out the obvious hypocrisy. To suggest otherwise would make you look very, very stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here