perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Of course he is...

Oliver Burke £10 million worth?

Overall
Consensus is much the same.

It is arguable whether a new winger is high priority. Jamie Murphy played well OK against Reading and I'm not sure how much worse they are compared to the negative goal difference PL sides in midfield.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So the postions to fill really are

Keeper ( Stockdale hopefully )
Left Back .. No idea, Id like George Friend
Central Mid ( Mooy hopefully )
Wide Man ( Snodgrass or Haraguchi )
Striker ( Pacey )

George Friend looks like a younger Stephen Ward but he is 29, the same age as Pocognoli and Bong and I think we will go for a younger player?

If we got a left sided defensive midfielder he could slot in as defensive cover when we are under pressure and allow Dunk to take the ball out of defence when a pass is not on.

The second striker would be the marquee signing.

But before that I would like the keepers and left back sorted. I'm very much into giving our existing players a chance until January. They have a great opportunity, especially for a new contract (some run out at the end of 2018) as well as proving themselves in the PL.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One that jumps out at me off the list is Skalak out on loan, he's not good enough yet but still very young.

Needs regular game time in Championship

If Kazenga Lualua was fit, I would prefer him to Skalák as he provides something different. Lualua is more an athlete than Skalák. For Lualua if he learned to run into space and was nearer the penalty area he would be a continual threat (more threat than reality). Skalák is in the last year of his contract as is Lualua ?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As of July Vorm will be in the final year of his contract, Marshall still has another 2 years.

I don't know enough about Marshall to judge him all i know is he was muscled out by Jakupovic

Marshall showed his reaction saves capability with a succession of saves at the Amex. Not sure how he deals with crosses or his distribution though? Marshall not having a good time at Hull because of Jakupovic. I'm not sure of we are having two keepers (probable) or three? With Walton out on loan will able to be recalled in emergencies. Not very good for the loanee club if they are bidding for promotion.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If Kazenga Lualua was fit, I would prefer him to Skalák as he provides something different. Lualua is more an athlete than Skalák. For Lualua if he learned to run into space and was nearer the penalty area he would be a continual threat (more threat than reality). Skalák is in the last year of his contract as is Lualua ?

Skalak has 2 seasons left on his contract.

FWIW The transfer window is open after the start of season as always, and the 25 man squad does not have to be nominated until Sept 1st.

This gives a small handful of games for the likes of potential fringe players Norwood, Murphy and Skalak to claim their place in the 25.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia

Unfortunately i think LuaLua will be off, hes lost his pace and his trickery and he is getting more and more injuries. I think Skalak has two years left as he signed on a 3 1/2 year deal in Feb 2016.

Marshall showed his reaction saves capability with a succession of saves at the Amex. Not sure how he deals with crosses or his distribution though? Marshall not having a good time at Hull because of Jakupovic. I'm not sure of we are having two keepers (probable) or three? With Walton out on loan will able to be recalled in emergencies. Not very good for the loanee club if they are bidding for promotion.

Agreed, i don't know enough about Vorm or Marshall distribution really but I know CH style of keeper he likes so we can be 100% they will have decent footwork and a big throw. As for Walton how does it affect our home grown quota if we were to loan him out? We need to name a certain amount of home grown players in the 25 but I can't remember how many exactly.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Skalak has 2 seasons left on his contract.

FWIW The transfer window is open after the start of season as always, and the 25 man squad does not have to be nominated until Sept 1st.

This gives a small handful of games for the likes of potential fringe players Norwood, Murphy and Skalak to claim their place in the 25.

Aside: Huddersfield last season had most of their squad assembled on 1st July 2017, giving the new players time to integrate. Probably will not be possible for Brighton, and for Newcastle, Bournemouth etc. Early signings are likely to be first choice targets though.

Rumours will up the silly season for journalists and agents. I don't believe 90% of them.

Last time we went up we had a strong spine to the side and add to it by signing Gregory (from Villa) at full back, Foster at centre half (replaced the ageing Rollings after a few games). This time (with more substitutes) we have a stronger squad overall and the second striker was the only player missing. Last time out the forwards Poskett and Maybank did not make the grade. Peter O'Sullivan did well in the first season. Peter Sayer not so well.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Unfortunately i think LuaLua will be off, hes lost his pace and his trickery and he is getting more and more injuries. I think Skalak has two years left as he signed on a 3 1/2 year deal in Feb 2016.

Agreed, i don't know enough about Vorm or Marshall distribution really but I know CH style of keeper he likes so we can be 100% they will have decent footwork and a big throw. As for Walton how does it affect our home grown quota if we were to loan him out? We need to name a certain amount of home grown players in the 25 but I can't remember how many exactly.

Lualua would have to be replaced. Not like for like. Currently both him an Ince make the squad on numbers and they still would do if we signed another striker (instead of Manu).

We easily qualify for the home grown quota. Walton is 22 so he would use up one place in the 25 man squad. Hints are that he will go out on loan.

Keepers are a bit of a mystery to me. I think they are unfairly maligned for failing to deal with tricky crosses and over applauded for making routine saves.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Hughton needs two strikers who between them can get 20 goals next season. One should be a striker who has scored goals and knows the PL - someone willing to put in the graft to keep Brighton up.

There are a limited supply of possible candidates in the PL but would include -

Danny Ings - Liverpool
Shane Long - Southampton
Charlie Austin - Southampton
Jonathan Walters - Stoke
Peter Crouch - Stoke (although age is against him)
Leonardo Ulloa - Leicester

After that it is a matter of finding one in the continent - and they are hard to come by as well. Hughton had a big problem trying to get a decent striker when he was at Norwich and made several unsuccessful stabs at it.

Hughton also needs 3/4 players who have significant PL experience - it is a different kettle of fish than the Championship and teams that bring in experience have a much better chance of staying up.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Hughton needs two strikers who between them can get 20 goals next season. One should be a striker who has scored goals and knows the PL - someone willing to put in the graft to keep Brighton up.

There are a limited supply of possible candidates in the PL but would include -

Danny Ings - Liverpool
Shane Long - Southampton
Charlie Austin - Southampton
Jonathan Walters - Stoke
Peter Crouch - Stoke (although age is against him)
Leonardo Ulloa - Leicester

After that it is a matter of finding one in the continent - and they are hard to come by as well. Hughton had a big problem trying to get a decent striker when he was at Norwich and made several unsuccessful stabs at it.

Hughton also needs 3/4 players who have significant PL experience - it is a different kettle of fish than the Championship and teams that bring in experience have a much better chance of staying up.

I mentioned Ings to friends and I got laughed out of town, But still I would be very happy if we signed him and he was fit, certainly offers a lot.

I hope we avoid a big African striker, who seem to come to the prem sand do very little, for the likes of Hull and Watford etc.

I mentioned Ings to friends and I got laughed out of town, But still I would be very happy if we signed him and he was fit, certainly offers a lot.

I hope we avoid a big African striker, who seem to come to the prem sand do very little, for the likes of Hull and Watford etc.

You mean like Drogba ? People do talk a load of nonsense when they generalise.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Gibbs
Lucas ( 80k per week lol )
Howson
Snodgrass
Ulloa
Ings

Pretty much done ( other than the keepers ).

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Coming on 30 and nearly past it?

Gibbs
Lucas ( 80k per week lol )
Howson
Snodgrass
Ulloa
Ings

Pretty much done ( other than the keepers ).

Its all very tired , older players that have been around long time.

I like the sound of younger players better;

Abraham
Che Adams
Johansen

Not that i am particularity enthusiastic about loan players.

Gibbs will be on £60K a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here