Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia is it all what it is made out to be ?

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Quote Originally Posted by colinz View Post
Lived in Melbourne for a few years wonderful city.
Every time I've thought of moving back there it's the obsession with the footy that puts me off. Enduring the latest news flash about Jacko's knee injury.

Yeah but at least we can sit next to each other at the football and don't need to be segregated. That's good right?

Not at the Soccer when Melbourne Croatia were playing Sunshine George Cross.

As for the footy I can remember fights between Carlton & Collingwood fans, they hate each other. When I lived in Melbourne I followed Collingwood, hated Carlton with their Liberal Party connections.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If I won a competition that took me there to see a Lions' Tour or a Motogp, I'd be made up. Go on my own time and funds? No. Not sure if that makes me tight or ****ish.

I find myself being a little sympathetic to the never-go-abroad yanks. There's plenty of Europe to see before I go further afield.

I'm with you, there's so much to see, do and experience that are closer, more varied and cheaper, I find any thought of visiting Oz being quickly usurped!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

As for the footy I can remember fights between Carlton & Collingwood fans, they hate each other. When I lived in Melbourne I followed Collingwood, hated Carlton with their Liberal Party connections.

You must have been proud The Aussies helped the real moon landings with their tracking from the Parkes Radio Telescope.
Proved science like that is wonderful

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

So Croatians fighting Maltese then. That's why soccer has never taken off here in a big way, soccer fans are some of the biggest mongs on the planet. Still are. Imagine having to segregate fans in 2017.

An alliance has been formed due to the mutual hatred of Essendon.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So Croatians fighting Maltese then. That's why soccer has never taken off here in a big way, soccer fans are some of the biggest mongs on the planet. Still are. Imagine having to segregate fans in 2017.

An alliance has been formed due to the mutual hatred of Essendon.

If you think fan segregation is so backwards then perhaps you don't understand football.

If football moved away from segregation and we all sat happy clappy together with the opposition then I'd stop going.

That doesn't mean I want to fight anyone btw.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If you think fan segregation is so backwards then perhaps you don't understand football.

If football moved away from segregation and we all sat happy clappy together with the opposition then I'd stop going.

That doesn't mean I want to fight anyone btw.

I understand I can sit anywhere at the ground and enjoy a game. Nothing to do with happy clappy togetherness.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Loved every minute out there.

Was working dismantling a rollercoaster in Sydney, Darwin award candidate was standing on a section of rail and undid all the bolts around him, fell something like 70ft onto the tarmac, swiftly followed by the section of track he had undone. He was quite the bloody mess as he clearly clung on to life.
His unfortunate experience was followed up by comments from other work colleagues whilst waiting for the Ambo.
“lucky ******* you will get compo for this”
“can I use your locker while you are away Barry”
“if you don’t make it can I frack your wife”
“bet you don’t do that again you dopey ####”

Was quite shocked but at the same time ….what is not to like from this outlook on life.
Its very hard to make an Aussie look negatively on life…very much matter of fact
….i quite like that.

I have come to realise that this is because they don't take responsibility for much. Throughout the negative parts of history they will manage to blame another country (usually European and most often the bloody Poms) for ills done by them and their ancestors (see post 105 for a fine example of this).

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I have come to realise that this is because they don't take responsibility for much. Throughout the negative parts of history they will manage to blame another country (usually European and most often the bloody Poms) for ills done by them and their ancestors (see post 105 for a fine example of this).

"Say sorry!!?? why the hell should we? it was them!"

Why do you even live here? You sound so miserable to be surrounded by all of these people you don't like.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Why do you even live here? You sound so miserable to be surrounded by all of these people you don't like.

Who says I don't like them? I love em. As Pastafarian says, most Aussies I meet are top people with fantastic senses of humour who love a bit of banter.

They do get a bit shirty when you point out their foibles and quirks though :eek:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Who says I don't like them? I love em. As Pastafarian says, most Aussies I meet are top people with fantastic senses of humour who love a bit of banter.

They do get a bit shirty when you point out their foibles and quirks though :eek:

I was just checking!

Thought I was going to have to come around with a hamper of tim tams, twisties, shapes and and lamingtons to make you feel more welcome. ;)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I was just checking!

Thought I was going to have to come around with a hamper of tim tams, twisties, shapes and and lamingtons to make you feel more welcome. ;)

You would be very welcome :lolol: (although they had better be the original Shapes not those new fangled things :) )

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has nothing on the UK and it's fascist history.
So is that what it's about, you're trying to catch up lost ground by making up for the oppression of Catholics, the crusades and imperialism?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I went last year. I found the beaches, sea, GB Reef and all things coastal absolutely fantastic. It is breathtaking in places. But I thought the cities were mediocre. Sydney has one amazing building and not much else for me, Melbourne is a bit grey and Brisbane was the best of the lot but still lacking in excitement. The smaller and quieter parts of north Queensland were much better than the cities and more popular destinations in my opinion.

How did you find Cairns,Port Douglas and beyond ? Did you travel the Daintree ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here