Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex Brighton players being touted for 5+ Million in the Prem

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Oh how I have missed these threads on Barnes... apparently penalties don't count, he doesn't score enough as a striker and he has a bad temperament...

And the irony of irony is the biggest detractor of Baldock, is defending Barnes on this thread...

Barnes when he was with us did a specific role... same as he does for Burnley. That role is as a defensive forward, who won't get many goals, but will chip in with assists, and will defend from the front.

Similar to Baldock, who won't get many goals, but stretches defences and also defends from the front by closing defenders down, a slightly different way.

Barnes is probably a below average premier league player - but thats better than most of our players were for a couple of years... he would fetch 6m easily.

I'd have him back as a squad player for definite - maybe not for 6m though despite his worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many below average PL players could Mr Bloom buy with the new found PL riches?

And how long would they remain PL?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Barnes is not a good player. It's as simple as that. He offers very little apart from hard work. So yes, i won't admit he is anything other than that. As I stated originally. No pace, lack of goals, doesn't stretch a defence, lack of assists, poor temperament. He's a poor player. If he was available on a free, he'd be way down on the list of strikers i would be interested in now we are in the premier league.

Myriad professionals whose judgement any sensible person would trust over yours will tell you you're wrong, and explain why.

The fact you can't - or won't - see it is more a reflection on your prejudices than any consideration of his qualities.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Myriad professionals whose judgement any sensible person would trust over yours will tell you you're wrong, and explain why.

The fact you can't - or won't - see it is more a reflection on your prejudices than any consideration of his qualities.

Really? In the post you've replied to I've stated he has no pace, lack of goals, doesn't stretch a defence, lack of assists, poor temperament. I don't how I could be any clearer. I've explained clearly and I stand by my opinion. It is just that. It's you that has offered nothing to argue your point of what makes him a good player.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Really? In the post you've replied to I've stated he has no pace, lack of goals, doesn't stretch a defence, lack of assists, poor temperament. I don't how I could be any clearer. I've explained clearly and I stand by my opinion. It is just that. It's you that has offered nothing to argue your point of what makes him a good player.

Yes, really. Of course, if you think the many, many professionals who work with him and play against him are wrong. Me, I'm going to go with the professionals here, who see his ability to stretch defences, work well off the ball, cause problems, track back, operate in different positions, create chances, score goals and a keen attitude to the contest. I see little wrong with his temperament these days. Of course, if you're going to judge him on some petulant behaviour a few years ago - behaviour others in the team were also capable of - I guess you think Beckham (hardly noted for his lightning quick pace...) was shite too?

As for the nonsense against Chelsea (which it may or may have not been you who mentioned it), just because there was 'controversy', it doesn't follow Barnes was to blame. I put it in the same category at Ramirez on Stephens, and Chelsea spat their dummies out.

So no, it's not as simple as 'Barnes is not a good player'. Let us know how you get on with Shaun Dyche when you tell him that.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I suggest you look at games to goals ratio before you embarrass yourself further and keep it to Championship goals. Adding to that Hemed didn't start to many games this season and still wins hands down.

I suggest you watch the games and watch the footballers. Hemed is a shadow of the player that Barnes is and you can make as many statistical comparisons as you like, it doesn't really change anything. Barnes has played at a much higher level than Hemed has or will. No disrespect to Tomer, who is not a bad player by any means, but he's not as good a player as Barnes.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yes, really. Of course, if you think the many, many professionals who work with him and play against him are wrong. Me, I'm going to go with the professionals here, who see his ability to stretch defences, work well off the ball, cause problems, track back, operate in different positions, create chances, score goals and a keen attitude to the contest. I see little wrong with his temperament these days. Of course, if you're going to judge him on some petulant behaviour a few years ago - behaviour others in the team were also capable of - I guess you think Beckham (hardly noted for his lightning quick pace...) was shite too?

As for the nonsense against Chelsea (which it may or may have not been you who mentioned it), just because there was 'controversy', it doesn't follow Barnes was to blame. I put it in the same category at Ramirez on Stephens, and Chelsea spat their dummies out.

So no, it's not as simple as 'Barnes is not a good player'. Let us know how you get on with Shaun Dyche when you tell him that.

Since when did Football stop becoming a game of opinions?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
How many below average PL players could Mr Bloom buy with the new found PL riches?

And how long would they remain PL?

An average PL player would hold his own in a mid table team, a below average would hold his own in a 12th-16th team... are you saying we don't need players who will hold their own in a team which finishes 12-16th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Having a flick though the sports headlines and I see Newcastle are apparently interested in signing Ashley Barnes for a reported 6m. Multiple clubs after our former loane Chris Wood for between 15-20m.

The transfer market is now ludicrous, going to struggle to buy a decent number 9/10 for less than 10m by the looks of things :/

Wood i'd be happy to sign,when we had him i was back then more than happy for us to gamble a million (that we did not have then) to get him,not sure what would make a good bid now for him-

Barnes? well any other season than his first at Albion and he would have been an all time hero,victim of circumstance (promotion/new stadium/expectation etc),his goals and contributions are 2nd to none (despite the misses) really and of late he has been a first name on the Burnley teams sheet for his sheer work rate,i'd have him back in a heartbeat..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here