Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I don't hate Orwell. Cracking writer. But not a political philosopher. As he would not claim it said on his tin. :shrug:

We will have to agree to disagree as Orwell's work (both fiction and non-fiction) is totally political in my opinion.

Anyway I'm sure we both have to get up for work in the morning and nothing we say to one another or the denizens of NSC will count for a flying f*ck on the 8th so good night!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
and yet the entire purpose of this election is dispense with an older manifesto, with its inconveniences, and bring in a new one to reflect the new political reality.

That's your interpretation. Mine is that this is a power grab, an attempt to steamroller through Brexit, and to commit themselves to as little as possible in a manifesto

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We will have to agree to disagree as Orwell's work (both fiction and non-fiction) is totally political in my opinion.

Anyway I'm sure we both have to get up for work in the morning and nothing we say to one another or the denizens of NSC will count for a flying f*ck on the 8th so good night!

I love Orwell, both his fiction and non-fiction. But he was of the left, quite clearly. Why did he write The Road to Wigan Pier, and fight for the left against the right in Spain, if he wasn't. He did provide a very valuable lesson for the left in his late and popular novels. But [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] isn't claiming that Orwell isn't into politics, he's merely claiming that he isn't a political philosopher, something that Orwell himself readily admitted.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
May gives all workers new rights to time off

Manifesto targets family illness and mental health

Employees will be promised today the right to take up to a year off work to care for family members with illness or disability.

In what Theresa May will claim is the “greatest extension of rights and protections for employees by any Conservative government” she will also commit her party to introducing statutory child bereavement leave and the right to request time off work for training.

The moves form part of a series of manifesto pledges aimed at rebranding the Tories as the party for workers. They will also include a crackdown on abuses in the so-called gig economy with new rules likely to extend maternity and sickness pay to workers who are at present classed as self-employed.

All listed companies will be required to appoint a non-executive director to act as an employee representative at board level, while new powers will be created to block takeovers that could have an impact on the sustainability of pension funds.

The policies, drawn up by the prime minister’s aides, mark a decisive shift away from the party’s traditional business-first approach and are likely to create tensions with industry.

The plans include:

● A new “statutory right to leave” for people whose family members require full-time care. The proposal would give workers the right to take between 13 and 52 weeks off while retaining their employment rights. The leave would not be paid but employees would be guaranteed to return to their job at their existing salary once the period was over.

● A new law to prevent employers discriminating against workers suffering from mental ill health. The Tories will amend the Equalities Act to protect people suffering from depression, anxiety and bipolar disorders from being unfairly dismissed.

● The party will also propose to introduce a two-week paid child bereavement leave and to guarantee planned increases in the national minimum wage until 2022.

A package of measures will aim to prevent corporate abuses after the BHS pension scandal. The Pensions Regulator will be given new powers to inspect takeovers that could have an impact on the sustainability of a pension fund. It will also consult on options to give employers the same rights as big shareholders to receive information about takeovers, asset disposals and significant reorganisations.

Last night senior business figures warned the Conservatives against introducing “new regulations and burdens” at a time when Brexit was already causing “significant uncertainty”.

This will be rejected by Mrs May, who will say that leaving the European Union presents an opportunity to redefine the relationship between employers and employees.

“I said I would use Brexit to extend the protections and rights that workers enjoy, and our manifesto will deliver exactly that,” she is expected to say on a campaign visit today. “By working with business, reducing taxes and dealing with the deficit we have delivered steady improvements to the economic prospects of working people. Now is the time to lock in that economic growth and ensure the proceeds are spread to everyone in our country.

“Our plans will be the greatest expansion in workers’ rights by any Conservative government in history.”

Mrs May will promise to implement the recommendations of the Taylor review into the gig economy. This is expected to conclude that a growing number of companies are abusing the law by taking on supposedly self-employed workers for jobs previously carried out by salaried staff. It is expected to call for much stricter rules on what constitutes genuine self-employment, with companies banned from imposing any “control” or sanction over workers who are classed as self- employed. It may also recommend extending statutory maternity and sick pay to genuine self-employed workers.

There will be a renewed focus on helping people to return to the labour market after taking time out either to look after children or to care for family members.

Damian Green, the work and pensions secretary, said the new right to leave was aimed at people who needed to “sort something out over a couple of months” before returning to work with certainty. The carer’s allowance of £62.70 a week is not designed to be lived on, he added.

The Tories will pledge to introduce a programme of “returnships” in the private and public sector, with the promise of new funding to pay for it. Employees who want to retrain or to improve their skills will have formal rights to request time off from their employer.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/may-gives-all-workers-new-rights-to-time-off-8b92dltww

Somewhat different than the supposed race to the bottom on workers rights/sweatshop economy some were predicting.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Corbyn anti nucleur + consistently says you need to talk to stop wars = He's a pacifist.
Corbyn held talks with the IRA = He's a supporter of the IRA.

Well which is it? I wonder ....

JC is the bloke who always takes the 'other' side, cos it marks him out as being a bit different, or aloof, or maybe intellectual. You know the type, always slag off the Albion cos football should be a working mans game played by passionate northerners like Sunderland. The kind of guy who wants Lancashire to beat Sussex in the County Championship even though they were born and bred in Haywards Heath and have lived in Horsham for the last 20 years. Is part of the 'anyone but England' brigade. More worrying is that Jezza would probably support Mars in a game of nuclear war against the Earth, such is his desire to be 'a bit different'.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Here's a question for you that I have been pondering on. I like and respect Corbyn - but many see
him as un-electable as PM. So - if he stood down tomorrow, would Labour do better in the election than
they are on course for (if say, Yvette Cooper took over)?

After seeing May's diabolical election so far I can't believe anyone says he's unelectable.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
May gives all workers new rights to time off

Manifesto targets family illness and mental health

Employees will be promised today the right to take up to a year off work to care for family members with illness or disability.

In what Theresa May will claim is the “greatest extension of rights and protections for employees by any Conservative government” she will also commit her party to introducing statutory child bereavement leave and the right to request time off work for training.

The moves form part of a series of manifesto pledges aimed at rebranding the Tories as the party for workers. They will also include a crackdown on abuses in the so-called gig economy with new rules likely to extend maternity and sickness pay to workers who are at present classed as self-employed.

All listed companies will be required to appoint a non-executive director to act as an employee representative at board level, while new powers will be created to block takeovers that could have an impact on the sustainability of pension funds.

The policies, drawn up by the prime minister’s aides, mark a decisive shift away from the party’s traditional business-first approach and are likely to create tensions with industry.

The plans include:

● A new “statutory right to leave” for people whose family members require full-time care. The proposal would give workers the right to take between 13 and 52 weeks off while retaining their employment rights. The leave would not be paid but employees would be guaranteed to return to their job at their existing salary once the period was over.

● A new law to prevent employers discriminating against workers suffering from mental ill health. The Tories will amend the Equalities Act to protect people suffering from depression, anxiety and bipolar disorders from being unfairly dismissed.

● The party will also propose to introduce a two-week paid child bereavement leave and to guarantee planned increases in the national minimum wage until 2022.

A package of measures will aim to prevent corporate abuses after the BHS pension scandal. The Pensions Regulator will be given new powers to inspect takeovers that could have an impact on the sustainability of a pension fund. It will also consult on options to give employers the same rights as big shareholders to receive information about takeovers, asset disposals and significant reorganisations.

Last night senior business figures warned the Conservatives against introducing “new regulations and burdens” at a time when Brexit was already causing “significant uncertainty”.

This will be rejected by Mrs May, who will say that leaving the European Union presents an opportunity to redefine the relationship between employers and employees.

“I said I would use Brexit to extend the protections and rights that workers enjoy, and our manifesto will deliver exactly that,” she is expected to say on a campaign visit today. “By working with business, reducing taxes and dealing with the deficit we have delivered steady improvements to the economic prospects of working people. Now is the time to lock in that economic growth and ensure the proceeds are spread to everyone in our country.

“Our plans will be the greatest expansion in workers’ rights by any Conservative government in history.”

Mrs May will promise to implement the recommendations of the Taylor review into the gig economy. This is expected to conclude that a growing number of companies are abusing the law by taking on supposedly self-employed workers for jobs previously carried out by salaried staff. It is expected to call for much stricter rules on what constitutes genuine self-employment, with companies banned from imposing any “control” or sanction over workers who are classed as self- employed. It may also recommend extending statutory maternity and sick pay to genuine self-employed workers.

There will be a renewed focus on helping people to return to the labour market after taking time out either to look after children or to care for family members.

Damian Green, the work and pensions secretary, said the new right to leave was aimed at people who needed to “sort something out over a couple of months” before returning to work with certainty. The carer’s allowance of £62.70 a week is not designed to be lived on, he added.

The Tories will pledge to introduce a programme of “returnships” in the private and public sector, with the promise of new funding to pay for it. Employees who want to retrain or to improve their skills will have formal rights to request time off from their employer.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/may-gives-all-workers-new-rights-to-time-off-8b92dltww

Somewhat different than the supposed race to the bottom on workers rights/sweatshop economy some were predicting.
Yeah, after all those years of putting the working class down, they are suddenly the workers party. My arse.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Very good analogy about rivals in wheelbarrows! And pretty much sums up the simplicity of the up coming election.
Party manifestos don't mean jack shit because whether you like it or not the Conservatives are the only party actually capable of running the country as every other party are nothing but a joke!
Running the country into the ground, I assume you mean.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
We had three terms of Labour and what was left appart from a note saying no more money left in the treasuary
Years of neglect of the north and the Midlands also Wales no infrastructure and an illegal war.
Now labour wants to take us back to bad old days and will drive talented pepole out of the U.K. Again ,Which will lead to us becoming the sick country in Europe again and putting millions on the dole again.
Please don't take us back to the bad old days of strikes and that's is what will happen if you renationalise the post office and railways etc.
Unemployment under Callaghan in 1979, 1.5 million. Unemployment under Thatcher, almost 3.5 million. Do get your facts straight.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

All very nice but most people can't afford to take unpaid time off. It's very much like the Labour governments paternity rights they introduced - fine and dandy if you can afford it.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
All very nice but most people can't afford to take unpaid time off. It's very much like the Labour governments paternity rights they introduced - fine and dandy if you can afford it.

I just thought exactly that! Who is going to do the care work then? Did they forget that they already cut the payments to these households? Hilariously short-sighted or a massive piss take? Either way, is unbelievably out of touch.

Wait.. It's this saying they are entitled to time off from another job, not caring for their family member? Well that's even worse, although it puts the puzzle together "yes we slashed your funding so your ability to live independently is now ****ed, but no worries! Your family get up to a year off to chip in! Chin up!"

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As I'm heavily dependent on the NHS and in receipt of disability benefits I absolutely dread the forthcoming years under this lot.

You have my sympathy. I can't possibly see how the reduction for new ESA claimants introduced last month helps anyone.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As I'm heavily dependent on the NHS and in receipt of disability benefits I absolutely dread the forthcoming years under this lot.

The Tory attack on disability benefits has been one of the most reprehensible things I think I can recall since Clause 28 and if there was any chance of a credible Labour leader then I'd break a habit of a lifetime to support the Labour Party but I just can't vote for Corbyn and McDonnell. They are so beyond the pale and I hope that after this election that they go quickly and quietly so that Labour can rebuild.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The Tory attack on disability benefits has been one of the most reprehensible things I think I can recall since Clause 28 and if there was any chance of a credible Labour leader then I'd break a habit of a lifetime to support the Labour Party but I just can't vote for Corbyn and McDonnell. They are so beyond the pale and I hope that after this election that they go quickly and quietly so that Labour can rebuild.

Unfortunately Corbyn and McDonnell would need a few more to go with them..... this fool first.

1zv4wo0.jpg

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Running the country into the ground, I assume you mean.

Then you assume wrong.

Then I assume you think it's OK for Corbyn to support the IRA?
And I assume you think Diane Abbot knows exactly how to add up the figures for Labours policy for Police recruitment?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here