Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am sure Tony Bloom will feel very happy with himself having an unhappy player who wants to leave desperately being forced to stay on a lower salary, in a lower division, against his wishes - potentially being a bad influence in the dressing room, and absolutely resulting in mixed reactions from your fan base each game.

Or maybe he just kept a promise he made to the fans and his manager at the end of last year, that he would have a go again this year at trying to get to the Premiership, having just missed out last year

As it is, off the record it's pretty obvious we have already got personal terms with DS agreed,

That I can assure you is not true

hence the repeated bids. If you think £7m+ for a guy who is nearing 28, has one year left on his deal and is desperate to leave is a poor offer, that is your prerogative. I would imagine the anticipated action now by Burnley FC is to either get him for £5m-ish in January or agree a pre-contract and get him for free next summer.

I have a feeling neither will be the case as I think he will sign a contract now and you may get him if we don't go up next year but I don't think you will get him in January

For a man as canny as Tony Bloom no doubt is, it seems a rather petty way of doing business.

Rather than ''petty'' - I think as I stated above, he has honoured a promise to the fans and the Manager. I find that ''honourable'' rather than ''petty''

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
So as I understand it, we've rejected five substantial bids, and now seemingly rejected a formal transfer request from the player and/or his agent?!? And the club expect this to be an amicable relationship moving forward?!?

Hmmmmm so we hang on to a demotivated and pissed off, disruptive player... To what end?!? So we can boo and hiss his every lacklustre contribution... To eventually part for a fraction of his current value JESUS WEPT... What a mess.

This can only end sadly and badly.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
So as I understand it, we've rejected five substantial bids, and now seemingly rejected a formal transfer request from the player and/or his agent?!? And the club expect this to be an amicable relationship moving forward?!?

Hmmmmm so we hang on to a demotivated and pissed off, disruptive player... To what end?!? So we can boo and hiss his every lacklustre contribution... To eventually part for a fraction of his current value JESUS WEPT... What a mess.

This is the way I saw it too.

Was expecting him to have left by now.

SBarlow

Sep 7, 2015
Stephens signed a contract for a set length of time, whereby he promised to play for bhafc and bhafc promised to pay him at a certain level for this service. If he turned out not to be good or got injured, he would still have got paid.

What gives him the right to demand that bhafc end the contract early in order that he can get another one that pays him more?

I think he is a good player, but Kayal has shown the respectful way of acting of you are not keen to sign another contract.

Dale will still earn more than the average person in a year in a month. If he performs well this year he will get a chance to play in the prem next year with another team or Brighton.

Club have handled this properly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From Sky Sports Transfers

Bryan Swanson ✔ @skysports_bryan
Prem League clubs can submit Deal Sheet 9-11pm. Signed by clubs & player to prove agreement. Gives clubs until 1am to complete deal. #SSNHQ
8:13 PM - 31 Aug 2016
224 224 Retweets 157 157 likes

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
Stephens signed a contract for a set length of time, whereby he promised to play for bhafc and bhafc promised to pay him at a certain level for this service. If he turned out not to be good or got injured, he would still have got paid.

What gives him the right to demand that bhafc end the contract early in order that he can get another one that pays him more?

I think he is a good player, but Kayal has shown the respectful way of acting of you are not keen to sign another contract.

Dale will still earn more than the average person in a year in a month. If he performs well this year he will get a chance to play in the prem next year with another team or Brighton.

Club have handled this properly.[/QUO

I agree the club gave handled this properly but i feel that we will suffer in the long run by having a disinterested player and then selling him for a fraction of what we could have got.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
From Sky Sports Transfers

Bryan Swanson [emoji818] @skysports_bryan
Prem League clubs can submit Deal Sheet 9-11pm. Signed by clubs & player to prove agreement. Gives clubs until 1am to complete deal. #SSNHQ
8:13 PM - 31 Aug 2016
224 224 Retweets 157 157 likes

All over. No more in or out confirmed by club.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am sure Tony Bloom will feel very happy with himself having an unhappy player who wants to leave desperately being forced to stay on a lower salary, in a lower division, against his wishes
If he was desperate to leave, you'd think he'd hand in a transfer request before the last game of the season. As it is, he signed a contract which he's obliged to stick to and he's very well paid (better than just about anyone here). He's also been offered a pay rise if he'd like it.

As it is, off the record it's pretty obvious we have already got personal terms with DS agreed
You agreed personal terms with him, but forgot to actually pay for him :facepalm:

hence the repeated bids. If you think £7m+ for a guy who is nearing 28, has one year left on his deal and is desperate to leave is a poor offer, that is your prerogative.
I don't think £7m is a poor offer, but if you'd started with that instead of fannying around, maybe you'd have got him. It took you 4 bids to get to £5.5m :rolleyes: And as I said, if he was desperate to leave he should have put in a request some time ago, so we'd have time to replace him. That he's only got 1 year left is not relevant to you lot, you should have paid the going rate for a midfielder of that quality.

I would imagine the anticipated action now by Burnley FC is to either get him for £5m-ish in January or agree a pre-contract and get him for free next summer.
He might not want to join you in January if you're doing badly, and if you're doing well you might not feel you need him. The same goes for next season - he'd hardly want to join you if we're promoted and you're relegated.

For a man as canny as Tony Bloom no doubt is, it seems a rather petty way of doing business.
Petty? Making 3 offers lower than £5.5m is petty. Our chairman wants us to get promoted, so he's holding on to his best players, how is that petty?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This is the way I saw it too.

Was expecting him to have left by now.

If indeed today's reports are correct, he should have been sold. A great pity as this could so easily derail the dressing room spirit... Although I suspect this had already begun, certainly over the past 2-3 weeks.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I think he is a good player, but Kayal has shown the respectful way of acting of you are not keen to sign another contract. Dale will still earn more than the average person in a year in a month. If he performs well this year he will get a chance to play in the prem next year with another team or Brighton.
Club have handled this properly.

I don't think you can start comparing Dale's actions to Beram's - Beram did not have options on the table like Dale did.

You have to accept that football is a different business, to any other. People get bought and sold for money. Sport is the only industry where this happens and it has become socially acceptable, rightly or wrongly.

Dale, if he gets beyond this transfer deadline will knuckle down and play his part in our promotion push for sure. If Chris thought that he might not do then he would have let him go.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Or he can go out every week and give it his all, come Jan transfer window he might see that ic we are challenging for promotion and Burnley are in a relegation fight that Mr Bloom was right.
T B should be applauded for the way he has dealt with the situation, no player is bigger than the club. If Burnley wanted him that much they should of upped their offer in upfront payment instead of ad ons.
With D S in the side we stand more chance of promotion than without him imho.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If indeed today's reports are correct, he should have been sold. A great pity as this could so easily derail the dressing room spirit... Although I suspect this had already begun, certainly over the past 2-3 weeks.

I'm sure if it had already begun, we would have sold him. We have only NOT sold him because the club (Hughton, Calderwood, Bloom) think that he will play a vital part in getting us into the Top 6 (or Top 2) this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

A-****ing-men.

We had to pay CMS until the end, no one expected him to leave without pay. When a player does well, why do people think they suddenly deserve more? And Stephens was paid through an injury, as you'd expect.

If he's still here, I'll be cheering him on and hoping he has a good season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Hopefully Burnley & Hull will be nailed on relegation candidates and we'll be top two! What a different situation that would be!

We're not going to be top 2.

This is in no way a criticism of the club as I don't believe we should be splashing out huge sums of money we haven't got on players, but there is no way we're going to be able to compete with Newcastle, Villa and Norwich over the course of the season.

Belial

May 13, 2016
True. Daft for Dale to be staying and daft for us to be rejecting a decent bid in the circumstances. Dressing room will be a worse place too now. We'll come about 5th

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We're not going to be top 2.

This is in no way a criticism of the club as I don't believe we should be splashing out huge sums of money we haven't got on players, but there is no way we're going to be able to compete with Newcastle, Villa and Norwich over the course of the season.

The same Villa who have won I think only one game so far and the same Norwich who got slaughtered 3-0 by Birmingham at the weekend ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here