Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Save our Hippodrome

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Who's going to be surprised if an "electrical fault" leads to it burning down.

What was thought to be the cause of the Sackville Hotel fire in the end, never did follow that up although have heard plenty of rumours...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If the Odeon is going to become an extension to Churchill Square, then surely another cinema complex would be needed...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who's going to be surprised if an "electrical fault" leads to it burning down.
Don't. I can see this thread being bounced with you proved right, but our city losing a historic building.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It has not been a theatre since 1964. It was a bingo until 10 yrs ago and boarded up since then. Unless you are over 60yrs old you would never experienced the place as a theatre.

Well, I'm not 60 and I remember going the Hippodrome to see The Sooty Show.

Whatever happens to the venue, a cinema is the wrong choice so I'm not surprised to see Vue pull out. It's certainly not big enough to be an ice-rink either - much as I'd like to see one

I guess it's time to sit back and wait for the inevitable fire, a really sad end for such an iconic theatre

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
Well, I'm not 60 and I remember going the Hippodrome to see The Sooty Show.

Whatever happens to the venue, a cinema is the wrong choice so I'm not surprised to see Vue pull out. It's certainly not big enough to be an ice-rink either - much as I'd like to see one

I guess it's time to sit back and wait for the inevitable fire, a really sad end for such an iconic theatre

You will have gone when it had a 2yr spell 1965-1967 after failing as a theatre when it came a TV studio and then that failed. You may not be 60 yrs old but you are probably over 52 unless you vividly remember Sooty and Sweep as 2yr old!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This would mean the Hippo becoming the premier live music venue in Brighton? I wonder what the capacity would be? The Concord2 would struggle to survive with this competition due to it's location.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
This would mean the Hippo becoming the premier live music venue in Brighton? I wonder what the capacity would be? The Concord2 would struggle to survive with this competition due to it's location.

It's a lot bigger, prob 2,000 maybe 2.500.
1500 standing or seated & maybe 750ish around the balcony?
Fantastic place & better than the Dome for the livelier stuff, more like a posh Suite with a big round dance floor

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Maybe they'll stop putting on acts at the Brighton centre which has to be one of the worst venues in the country and only gets gigs due to it's size.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Given that the Hippodrome should be far bigger than the Concorde it should be able to attract a different level of act so hopefully it would be a complementary venue rather than a direct competitor. The Academy people need to speak to the major promoters now to see if they would consider adding the venue to their tour circuit.

I really hope this is a goer.

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Given that the Hippodrome should be far bigger than the Concorde it should be able to attract a different level of act so hopefully it would be a complementary venue rather than a direct competitor. The Academy people need to speak to the major promoters now to see if they would consider adding the venue to their tour circuit.

I really hope this is a goer.

The idea is/was to make the inside versatile, so they would be able to hold a 1800 capacity show (Dome size) one night ,then with the aid of sliding walls/baffles have a 600 cap (concorde2) the next - more importantly it fills the gap for anything between those sizes for which Brighton at the moment only has the Corn Exchange.
AMG have had the lease for a while now but an engineers report showed that the roof structure wasn't up to the weight limits required for modern productions.
Reason i quoted you though, is because AMG is owned by Live Nation which is arguably the biggest promoters in the UK.

I too hope something comes from this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here