Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Reigate HM on Sunday.

Completing my normal (poor) training with going out for a curry the night before convincing myself that all that rice, naan & chicken would be perfect fuel.
Up early on Sunday and in the 45 mins before I left the house I managed 3 increasingly urgent toilet trips ... clearing out not only the curry, but it seemed everything is eaten that week.

Everything went well until mile 8 where I not surprising I ran out of steam, by Mile 9 I was hunting out jelly babies for energy. Reigate ends on a big hill and I defiantly refused to walk, plodding on at a snails pace to finish in around 1.52 (my PW!)

But it could have been so much worse...
39c03912dd8d0a69d47313297f9b632c.png

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Got out nice and early this morning to run the half marathon distance in prep for Barns Green in 2 weeks. Perfect running temperature this time of year in the morning and managed to get in some quick miles towards the end, which bodes well for Barns Green.

Is anyone from here running it? I think [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] is but not aware of anyone else.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3018060655

Yep, got my number a few days ago. My aim is sub 1:30, but I've been struggling with weight and pace since Brighton Marathon, so I'm not confident...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Junior football season is back in full swing and therefore I'm up at the sort of time on a Sunday that I used to come home at before kids in order to get a long run in. How long before I'm yelling Good Morning at [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] as dawn breaks?

Going to have to do my long run to Shoreham / Lancing and back as well, just like the good old days as the Brighton Tri is closing the seafront and A259. Good luck to the REMF boys Mendoza, [MENTION=10511]Fat Langers[/MENTION] and Jarrod in that one.

It won't be long at all, GB. Although when I DO get my arse into gear, a fair bit of time will be on the downs, as Beachy Head Marathon looms.

10k is much worse in my book. The devils distance.

Hateful distance to go full-chat. I'll do the CTH 10k – but not push it – and that's about it. Although, having said that, my aim for a bit is to try and get my 5k times down a bit, so if I crack that, you never know...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What an evening. Arena80 track session. Told to run 5x800m with 90 seconds recovery picking up pace every 200m. Hovered around 6:00 mile pace and crossing line near 5:00 pace. Running in group helped to keep on the pace. Then the kick in the teeth. Instead of a cool down told to do 5x600m with 60 seconds recovery.......SAS training tactics. Pace began to drop but kept at it.

Then got home just in time for the first half unfortunately......before ending on a double high.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Funny how luck plays a part in who you meet at a running club induction.

I met Lucy, 10/10, mid 20's, club runner from Wycombe, just moved to Brighton and someone who is going to make her mark on local Parkruns.

Lucy met me, a year from 60, balding,married, alcoholic runner, who couldn't even keep a conversation going at the 8" warm up pace.

At least I never spluttered out the story of the stripper's pub when Brighton played High Wycombe in 1994.......

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I met Lucy, 10/10, mid 20's, club runner from Wycombe, just moved to Brighton and someone who is going to make her mark on local Parkruns.

Lucy met me, a year from 60, balding,married, alcoholic runner, who couldn't even keep a conversation going at the 8" warm up pace.

At least I never spluttered out the story of the stripper's pub when Brighton played High Wycombe in 1994.......

Can’t wait to meet her.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yep, got my number a few days ago. My aim is sub 1:30, but I've been struggling with weight and pace since Brighton Marathon, so I'm not confident...

Sub 1:30 will be tough on that course but a good target. I was 1:32:16 last year when it was pretty hot, so hopefully it’s cooler this time around.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Lucky her indeed. It would be interesting to see what she has posted on the Wycombe Running Club message board about this encounter - any suggestions?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Great to hear you had a good session. Now, about Lucy...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
.....I'm not sure as she was in the group above me but I reckon she may be just faster than [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] so about 10 seconds faster than you.... :lol:

Without wanting to be a bit Weinstein about the whole thing, I do feel you've left an open goal there. But I won't be making a joke about not being upset about chasing her. :blush:

[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and I have re-arranged the terms of our challenge a bit. With a 19 second lead, we go into the Bright10 and Arena 80c 10k. 3 different distances, two ambitious gents!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Without wanting to be a bit Weinstein about the whole thing, I do feel you've left an open goal there. But I won't be making a joke about not being upset about chasing her. :blush:

[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and I have re-arranged the terms of our challenge a bit. With a 19 second lead, we go into the Bright10 and Arena 80c 10k. 3 different distances, two ambitious gents!

Is your challenge; time difference,most victories or both? I'll probably be stewarding the 10k. Don't want to race it and ruin my 5k build up for November.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Lucy is saving herself for an (even) older guy...………...

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I was meant to be going to the Arena 80 AC Induction but had to pull out due to a work commitment, have signed up for the next one though in a months time.

Will be running Ealing in a week from Sunday hoping to better my 1h 28m from last year. Any other NSCers signed up for that one?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Lucy is saving herself for an (even) older guy...………...

Talking of which, I tucked in behind spritely Paul Gasson on Monday. Pleased to keep with him and pass the line in front of him by the third interval. BUT he had been taking it easy as only just returned from The World Veterans 1500m Final where he came 5th or 6th. Not sure whether 60+ or 65+. Do you know?

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Talking of which, I tucked in behind spritely Paul Gasson on Monday. Pleased to keep with him and pass the line in front of him by the third interval. BUT he had been taking it easy as only just returned from The World Veterans 1500m Final where he came 5th or 6th. Not sure whether 60+ or 65+. Do you know?

Mr Gasson is still under 65 - was when he ran a couple of weeks ago.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Good idea. I think there's a few from here doing Bright10, maybe a pre-race meet up if you can get out of bed on time?

I'll be there continuing my own table based race with [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]. Our 10 mile PBs are almost identical and I will be tackling Bright10 while he takes on the GSR in Pompey. He's very much the man in form, and seems to be in a different race every week, but I'm reasonably confident of taking a minute or so off my time if conditions are ok.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good idea. I think there's a few from here doing Bright10, maybe a pre-race meet up if you can get out of bed on time?

I'll be there continuing my own table based race with [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]. Our 10 mile PBs are almost identical and I will be tackling Bright10 while he takes on the GSR in Pompey. He's very much the man in form, and seems to be in a different race every week, but I'm reasonably confident of taking a minute or so off my time if conditions are ok.

May the best men win the two challenges.
I've got noone to chase on the 5k table as the gap is too large just a few to hold at bay and an attempt to grab the silver Age Grade position from [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] . May be feasible although he is returning from injury.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here