Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Best Beach in Sussex

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I guess it is a geology thing - a subject of which I know nothing.

But we spent a week in June at Studland Bay in Dorset on mile after mile of beautiful sandy beaches. This was at the beginning of the heatwave and it was just perfect. And we have just returned from a week on the Norfolk Broads - and again the beaches at Sheringham, Wells-next-the-Sea and particularly Gorleston are incredible. So why are the beaches in Sussex so pony? Is it to do with the rocks or the tide - or a combination of both? Seems odd that just round each corner the beaches are so spectacular?

At a bit more than a guesstimate I would say the chalk landscape has been eroded by the sea and then has dissolved whilst the Flint is too hard to denude quickly. Leading to a load of Flint pebbles rounded by the movement of the sea.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What's Lancing like these days?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
At a bit more than a guesstimate I would say the chalk landscape has been eroded by the sea and then has dissolved whilst the Flint is too hard to denude quickly. Leading to a load of Flint pebbles rounded by the movement of the sea.

I think you are bang on, its the flint and stuff found in chalk, the chalk is soft and easily eroded leaving the rest, over millions of years of course.
As much as i dislike the pebble beaches of Brighton, Hastings, Eastbourne etc, I quite like the quiet barron beaches of Sussex and Kent, used to do a lot of fishing on my own off of them when i lived in the SE, they sort of have a beauty of their own, rugged, and the pebbles make a nice noise when the waves go in and out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think you are bang on, its the flint and stuff found in chalk, the chalk is soft and easily eroded leaving the rest, over millions of years of course.
As much as i dislike the pebble beaches of Brighton, Hastings, Eastbourne etc, I quite like the quiet barron beaches of Sussex and Kent, used to do a lot of fishing on my own off of them when i lived in the SE, they sort of have a beauty of their own, rugged, and the pebbles make a nice noise when the waves go in and out.

I agree. Lovely beaches. No sand stuck up your wotsits.
Land from here to France less than 500,000 years ago and a chalk ridge bridge Dover to Calais less than 10,000 years ago after reappearing after dropping sea level (land rising from weight loss of melting ice from end of ice age).

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's all about timing. Get there early, leave late and it's no problem.

The carpark was £8.50 during peak times this summer. We usually get to the beach at 9am and leave between 6 and 7. That makes the parking under £1 an hour, which is good value in my book. The money raised from the car parking is used to fund the ongoing maintenance and improvements to the beach. They have made massive improvements over the years. The toilets are clean, the beach is kept as clean as possible and the land management is really good. The traffic in and out can be a nightmare but if you plan, it's OK.

Yep. Totally agree. If we go there we get there early in the campervan, walk the dog, kids go for a swim (depending on time of year and tide) and have a BBQ. Stay all day.

One thing about West Wittering is that a lot of it's 'utility' is tide based - swimming in much of the area is not permitted due to a strong tidal race, low tide is good in the channels protected from the sea, and dog walking is much easier at low tide, as you can walk round the spit.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The beach is fine

It's the clientele

Apparently Shoreham beach, as a place to live is coming up in the stakes as well.

I grew up on Shoreham Beach but I could never afford to live there now, as the house prices have gone crazy. The Beach there is fine, but it's hardly anything out of the ordinary. Shingle mainly, and some sand at low tide, particularly towards the West, with little towards the harbour.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Spot on, I hate sandy beaches, but then growing up in Shoreham I guess it's what your used too.

If you won euro millions you wouldn't move to Shoreham beach, it's shit. The foreshadow is the tackiest Essex show brigade, the rest is stab vest central compact chav.

I grew up on Shoreham Beach but I could never afford to live there now, as the house prices have gone crazy. The Beach there is fine, but it's hardly anything out of the ordinary. Shingle mainly, and some sand at low tide, particularly towards the West, with little towards the harbour.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here