Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic Leicester fans

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Put up signs at every gate and every bar etc saying offensive/hateful language will not be tolerated and could lead to ejection from the ground and banning from all matches, plus possible arrest. Also state that stewards are fitted with video monitoring cameras to ensure the safety and friendly atmosphere that the club deserves. (Tailor to taste but keeping essentially the same message, add branding/inclusivism message)

Post teams of two stewards at the front/to the side of the loutish areas of the crowd. Try to cover as many angles as budget/space allows. All are wearing HD go-pro helmets. Record everything onto mini sd cards in the device. One in every pair of stewards (perhaps the most senior) will be equipped with short wave radio on a Bluetooth headset. Each "team" of stewards can work together to identify offenders, gaining multiple recording angles and strengthening evidence to prevent mistaken identity claims. Noting down the approximate times of the offences would be useful but not mandatory.

After the game, remove the memory cards and upload them onto a computer. This can be done any time before the next match, by anyone delegated by the Data Controller for the club. As long as the data is stored securely (i.e. on a password protected computer in a locked office, with no network access, to prevent possible loss of data/accusations of breaches of the Data Protection Act)

A (trained?) employee studies footage before the next home game, possibly with a club police liaison. Print out mugshots of worst/all offenders. Provide these to stewards. As the offenders enter the ground, OB ready to nick them (if deemed necessary) or club officials ready to identify them and give notice to leave immediately, telling them their season ticket is cancelled, depending on policy.

Do this five times every season - or every game if budget allows.

Costings

20x Go Pro Cameras with 16gb minisd's - free/nominal (endorsement on posters/website saying we use Go-Pro/whatever brand - the commercial manager should get a good deal here)

Dedicated FM license rental - £30-50 per match

I'm assuming they'll already have radios but otherwise I'd expect a good deal on those too as a "club partner".

The steward costs would be the same as we are simply repurposing their role, so no additional cost there. Perhaps an extra 4 hours training per head would be prudent rather than "learning on the job", to ensure fewer hiccups.

1x staff member to edit video, take screenshots and print captures. Then liaise with club secretary or line manager.

I'm sorry, but was that so hard? I don't need a six figure salary to apply common sense. The above steps would eliminate homophobia from the game forever. If the Leicester chairman wants to pay me a consultation fee, however...

The day I see something like that is the day I stop going to football. Sledgehammer to crack a nut does not even cover it

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The day I see something like that is the day I stop going to football. Sledgehammer to crack a nut does not even cover it

If you aren't going to use racist/homophobic language, what are you afraid of? Swearing and shouting is fine in my book. You aren't going to get in trouble for calling the Lino a ****. Unless you're in a designated family stand. In which case you should know better and please think of the children.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If you aren't going to use racist/homophobic language, what are you afraid of? Swearing and shouting is fine in my book. You aren't going to get in trouble for calling the Lino a ****. Unless you're in a designated family stand. In which case you should know better and please think of the children.

Nothing to do with being afraid of anything more yet another sign of demonising ordinary football fans for the sake of addressing an issue with a minority of supporters. Orwell saw it coming society is obsessed with surveillance and it is not the answer to everything.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nothing to do with being afraid of anything more yet another sign of demonising ordinary football fans for the sake of addressing an issue with a minority of supporters. Orwell saw it coming society is obsessed with surveillance and it is not the answer to everything.

We get what we deserve collectively. It was socially common - if not even acceptable - to riot, fight with opposition fans and throw bananas at black footballers until societal norms changed. When people understand that homophobic abuse is as unacceptable as racism, it'll be just as rare. The difference is in 2017 we have the technology and football is inclusive like never before. My solution would stamp it out quickly, effectively and save waiting 20 years for it to stop naturally. If it pisses off a few hundred beer bellied blokes who don't like the idea of being caught making a tit out of themselves, I can live with that.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
But not every fan committing an offense has to be prosecuted. See a hundred fans causing an offense, video them, go and grab one, kick them out and ban them from football. Then go back and see if the chants are continuing and grab another. Repeat. The fans would soon stop. How many really want to lose their season tickets over a chant?

You realise it worked against racism right?

I'm not sure what that's got to do with anything. I'm not against other clubs here, and I'm not just on the side of gay people from Brighton, I'm on the side of all gay people, and against all homophobia.

No, we're not expecting a huge effort to be made to catch every single instance of homophobia. And I don't imagine it's police money either - as I said, the clubs pay for the policing right? And if a club has not controlled its fans, that club will be fined, and that can pay for any extra time required to kick the fans out.

Legal precedents? If a club bans a fan, that club is highly unlikely to be taken to court by the fan, and the fan would probably lose if it did happen.

You're just trying to dream up reasons why nothing can be done.

I think the point about racism is fair but there are lots of moving parts to that matter predominantly societal, and homophobia, transphobia, islamaphobia et al are all matters far behind that curve.

That doesn't mean nothing should be done, and I appreciate why some people are vexed and angry, however as I continue to point out this specific issue is not about violence, or people not getting jobs, or homes, or anything else that would relate to the orthodox consequences of discrimination.

It's unpleasant chanting.

Given the type of events unfolding in Europe these days I am just keeping my sense of perspective, no more no less.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Put up signs at every gate and every bar etc saying offensive/hateful language will not be tolerated and could lead to ejection from the ground and banning from all matches, plus possible arrest. Also state that stewards are fitted with video monitoring cameras to ensure the safety and friendly atmosphere that the club deserves. (Tailor to taste but keeping essentially the same message, add branding/inclusivism message)

Post teams of two stewards at the front/to the side of the loutish areas of the crowd. Try to cover as many angles as budget/space allows. All are wearing HD go-pro helmets. Record everything onto mini sd cards in the device. One in every pair of stewards (perhaps the most senior) will be equipped with short wave radio on a Bluetooth headset. Each "team" of stewards can work together to identify offenders, gaining multiple recording angles and strengthening evidence to prevent mistaken identity claims. Noting down the approximate times of the offences would be useful but not mandatory.

After the game, remove the memory cards and upload them onto a computer. This can be done any time before the next match, by anyone delegated by the Data Controller for the club. As long as the data is stored securely (i.e. on a password protected computer in a locked office, with no network access, to prevent possible loss of data/accusations of breaches of the Data Protection Act)

A (trained?) employee studies footage before the next home game, possibly with a club police liaison. Print out mugshots of worst/all offenders. Provide these to stewards. As the offenders enter the ground, OB ready to nick them (if deemed necessary) or club officials ready to identify them and give notice to leave immediately, telling them their season ticket is cancelled, depending on policy.

Costings

20x Go Pro Cameras with 16gb minisd's - free/nominal (endorsement on posters/website saying we use Go-Pro/whatever brand - the commercial manager should get a good deal here)

I'm assuming they'll already have radios but otherwise I'd expect a good deal on those too as a "club partner".

The steward costs would be the same as we are simply repurposing their role, so no additional cost there. Perhaps an extra 4 hours training per head would be prudent rather than "learning on the job", to ensure fewer hiccups.

1x staff member to edit video, take screenshots and print captures. Then liaise with club secretary or line manager.

I'm sorry, but was that so hard? I don't need a six figure salary to apply common sense. The above steps would eliminate homophobia from the game forever. If the Leicester chairman wants to pay me a consultation fee, however...

Jesus , that's ridiculous

Doubt Leicester fans will even think any homophobic stuff at a game again until they next play us anyway

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We get what we deserve collectively. It was socially common - if not even acceptable - to riot, fight with opposition fans and throw bananas at black footballers until societal norms changed. When people understand that homophobic abuse is as unacceptable as racism, it'll be just as rare. The difference is in 2017 we have the technology and football is inclusive like never before. My solution would stamp it out quickly, effectively and save waiting 20 years for it to stop naturally. If it pisses off a few hundred beer bellied blokes who don't like the idea of being caught making a tit out of themselves, I can live with that.

So you think a few go-pros on stewards heads would eradicate homophobia from football quickly? Sorry to disappoint but it is a bit more deeply entrenched than that. Your solution would catch a few more than the ones that get reported today and a few more people will get banned from games but that has been happening for a few years now and nothing is changing so not sure why you think your suggestion increases the likelihood of this being eradicated.

Perhaps also worth you dropping the stereotype of people who object to having someone sat staring at them and filming with a go-pro as they try to enjoy a game they have paid a substantial amount of money to watch. As an example I can assure you I am not beer bellied, do not make a tit out of myself at football (beyond the norm), am not homophobic and support the need to eradicate this abuse from the game. I just think your solution is flawed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Frankly, what the **** does Costa know about it? She would have been sitting down the front with the bobble hat and thermos flask brigade. I was up at the back by the Leicester fans, it is not really the chants that were the problem, though a few crossed the line, it was more the individual homophobic abuse. There is no way Costa knows anything about this, and if she is going to be held up as a spokesperson she should admit as much.

She would have been sitting down at the front? Did you see her there?
Did you see her talking to stewards and hear their conversations or are you just having a go on Nsc, where Liz can't answer back?

I've been to lots of matches with Liz so I know how she listens, takes notes, and has written to clubs before and after matches.
She isn't some old lady who doesn't know what she's doing.
[MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION], we've been fighting this cause for years and people have been arrested in the past, so you don't need to panic about it getting worse.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Costings

Ah the sweet delicate smell of progressive liberalism........what's the costing for the ovens?

What is your view on preventing Islamic terror attacks and in pedestrian areas?

SAC

May 21, 2014

You may feel that it's ok to call the lino a **** but I'm going to chose to be offended by that and want you arrested and banned from football matches. It's offensive and against the terms of attending football matches.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You may feel that it's ok to call the lino a **** but I'm going to chose to be offended by that and want you arrested and banned from football matches. It's offensive and against the terms of attending football matches.

Then use the designated family stand I just mentioned in the same paragraph you quoted. Also, read whole paragraphs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You don't need to. I saw a Brighton fan thrown out by stewards and police at Sunderland for calling the ref the c word. The legislation is already there.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
So you think a few go-pros on stewards heads would eradicate homophobia from football quickly? Sorry to disappoint but it is a bit more deeply entrenched than that. Your solution would catch a few more than the ones that get reported today and a few more people will get banned from games but that has been happening for a few years now and nothing is changing so not sure why you think your suggestion increases the likelihood of this being eradicated.

Perhaps also worth you dropping the stereotype of people who object to having someone sat staring at them and filming with a go-pro as they try to enjoy a game they have paid a substantial amount of money to watch. As an example I can assure you I am not beer bellied, do not make a tit out of myself at football (beyond the norm), am not homophobic and support the need to eradicate this abuse from the game. I just think your solution is flawed.

Eradicate? No, of course not. Root out a lot of bad eggs? Absolutely. Send a message? Totally. I couldn't think of a stronger statement.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ah the sweet delicate smell of progressive liberalism........what's the costing for the ovens?

What is your view on preventing Islamic terror attacks and in pedestrian areas?

What does that have to do with anything?

And why are you making assumptions about my politics?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
She would have been sitting down at the front? Did you see her there?
Did you see her talking to stewards and hear their conversations or are you just having a go on Nsc, where Liz can't answer back?

I've been to lots of matches with Liz so I know how she listens, takes notes, and has written to clubs before and after matches.
She isn't some old lady who doesn't know what she's doing.

[MENTION=365]Napper[/MENTION], we've been fighting this cause for years and people have been arrested in the past, so you don't need to panic about it getting worse.

Look, I do not doubt that Liz Costa works very hard on behalf of Brighton fans and I know she takes this sort of thing seriously. However, the moment she says that Leicester's stewards were very good, that is a problem. She has put out a public statement without knowing the full facts. That is an issue for me. I do know for a fact she was not stood up at the back next to the Leicester fans where the worst of the abuse happened, I know this because there is no way she would have praised the stewards had she been there. It is perfectly possible to believe Liz Costa is a force for good,which I do, and believe that her statement on this subject was wrong and be pretty pissed off about it.

Oh, and of course she can answer back. In fact I think it is extremely odd that the supporters club have no presence on here whatsoever.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Eradicate? No, of course not. Root out a lot of bad eggs? Absolutely. Send a message? Totally. I couldn't think of a stronger statement.

I will leave this debate with your here as you seemingly have no element of thought of what your proposals would make the innocent normal football fan feel like and seem to think homophobia in football is limited to the terraces.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Look, I do not doubt that Liz Costa works very hard on behalf of Brighton fans and I know she takes this sort of thing seriously. However, the moment she says that Leicester's stewards were very good, that is a problem. She has put out a public statement without knowing the full facts. That is an issue for me. I do know for a fact she was not stood up at the back next to the Leicester fans where the worst of the abuse happened, I know this because there is no way she would have praised the stewards had she been there. It is perfectly possible to believe Liz Costa is a force for good,which I do, and believe that her statement on this subject was wrong and be pretty pissed off about it.

Oh, and of course she can answer back. In fact I think it is extremely odd that the supporters club have no presence on here whatsoever.

They do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here