Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do something that only 4% of UK people do.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If you can, you absolutely should.

Sadly I can't, but I have received blood in the past that has made a very significant difference to my life, so I am grateful for all who can and do. [emoji106]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unless you've got a rare blood type, a WAY more useful thing to do would be to opt into the Organ Donor scheme. Tragically for many people waiting for a life-saving organ, it's still a case of opting IN. If it was a case of opting OUT, there'd be way more organs than there were potential recipients.

The most valuable organs are from the young (they work better and last longer - mine, let's face facts, are ****ed). Sadly, if a young person signs up to the scheme, after death, a parent can veto the organ removal. This, and the lack of info about doning in general, is scandalous. Some countries have a 'you are a donor unless you opt out' policy. Bravo to that. More than 25 years ago, where I work, people had sussed how to preserve organs (especially the heart) for long periods so they can be transpoprted around the country when a donation was needed. But . . . the problem is lack of donors. Certain ethnic groups are particularly conspicuous in this context. Their childrens' potential loss, I guess . . . .

However, if the tories have arranged things so a private company runs all this then, frankly, I'd say 'hands off my organs'. I don't keep up with this - which perhaps tells its own tale :annoyed:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Currently two days into 5 day Forces March from Ilfracombe to Bulford
134 miles in 5 days retracing the exact steps the Ox and Bucks did prior to D Day and taking Pegasus Bridge and eternal fame
Seriously hard going in this weather

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
ps I was thinking of donating my brain, post mortem, to [MENTION=277]looney[/MENTION] . . . . . :whistle::lolol:

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Unless you've got a rare blood type, a WAY more useful thing to do would be to opt into the Organ Donor scheme.

Not necessarily the case. If you're O-Neg like myself they're always keen for you to donate, as that blood type can be given to just about anyone ('Universal Donor'). If you're the first O-Neg of the session at my 'local' then your blood goes into paediatric bags, which is always quite a nice feeling. I made my 50th donation a couple of weeks ago. It's much easier than it used to be, you can book and manage your own appointments around work and home life. Never takes me more than a hour, often little more than half an hour. They even send you a text in the following week or two to let you know which hospital your blood was used at. In short, as others have said, if you can then you really should. Having spoken to fellow donors over the years it's striking how many of them only became donors after they, themselves, needed someone else's blood.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Having spoken to fellow donors over the years it's striking how many of them only became donors after they, themselves, needed someone else's blood.

But if you've received blood at any time since 1st January 1980, you aren't allowed to donate:

If you have had or think you have had a blood transfusion (or blood products) anytime since 1st January 1980 sadly, we can no longer accept your blood.*

This rule has been introduced as a purely precautionary measure.* It aims to reduce the possible risk of variant CJD (vCJD) being passed from donor to patient.* However, just like our other rules regarding who can and who can't give, things can change.* As new scientific information comes to light we will review the situation.* This could mean either continuing this ruling or asking people to come back.* We just don't know yet.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It's not 15 minutes though, or anything like it. As I said, it's about 3 to 4 hours in Brighton but even when I went to a centre five minutes from my office, it took well over an hour

I was referring to the actual time you are horizontal and linked up to your bag... If it is 3 to 4 hours waiting time between arrival and donation then something is seriously wrong.

I turn up, do my paperwork confirming that no one except Mrs J has any interest in having sex with me and I haven't had any chance of getting any exotic diseases because I haven't been anywhere East of Ipswich.

I then have a blob of blood drawn from my thumb and dropped into a test tube to see if floats or sinks and (worst ordeal) am made to drink a pint of water thereupon I'm put on my swivel bed and hooked up and rocking.

Even allowing for the times I haven't had a crafty beer (see previous post) to help my claret on its way it has never been more than an hour from start to finish - maybe Horsham District are just more efficient?

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Fair enough, didn't realise that - lots of older people where I live! A lot of people donate because their friends or family have required blood, though.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Fair enough, didn't realise that - lots of older people where I live! A lot of people donate because their friends or family have required blood, though.
Absolutely, and as someone who has benefitted from it I would give in a heartbeat if that rule is ever removed.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not necessarily the case. If you're O-Neg like myself they're always keen for you to donate, as that blood type can be given to just about anyone ('Universal Donor'). If you're the first O-Neg of the session at my 'local' then your blood goes into paediatric bags, which is always quite a nice feeling. I made my 50th donation a couple of weeks ago. It's much easier than it used to be, you can book and manage your own appointments around work and home life. Never takes me more than a hour, often little more than half an hour. They even send you a text in the following week or two to let you know which hospital your blood was used at. In short, as others have said, if you can then you really should. Having spoken to fellow donors over the years it's striking how many of them only became donors after they, themselves, needed someone else's blood.

When my kids were young, they caught chicken pox, as kids do. I didn't realise that I'd never had it, and 10 days later was extremely ill with it. A colleague at work told me to ring the Blood Transfusion people, as adults who have had 'childhood diseases' are needed for immuno deficient cases.
You can donate up to six months after the disease, which is when the antibodies are still active. I turned up at the centre, and it was announced that the 'Special One' had arrived! Apparently one pint of a 'special' donation with antibodies, can be used for up to twenty youngsters to protect them.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, sadly dicky ticker rules me out these days as well.

One of the big benefits of giving blood was that afterwards you could get drunk for a lot less money that normal

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Me too, gave for about 25 years tho. Signed up in first or second term at university and went as often as I could. I never had any problems (not even an empty arm, or an empty anything). It always seemed like a small return to the NHS for all the care I got as a nipper (tonsils and adenoids out, corrective eye and dental surgery). I think it is a sad reflection on society that more people don't help with something that, after all, costs nothing but their time.

I wish I could have. I found out about my heart at 17 and prior to that hadn't considered it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When I first gave blood I had to fill out a questionnaire and was asked by a loud nurse "Have you PAID for kinky sex during the past 6 months?", to which I replied "...I have to put the bins out each week but otherwise the Wife is fine with it..."

Boom, Boom!! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here