Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber Brighton

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thankfully your address and mobile will be blanked by the two firms you messed around.

You must be feeling really big wasting some poor blokes time.

One good thing about Uber, is they charge low life's like you.

TB

My address and number blanked ? Really ? I used them to come home and no issues
so clearly you're talking bollocks .... as usual.

Will be interesting to see how Uber does in the UK now,all very well making billions off a sweated workforce,it's another thing now they legally have to treat their drivers with dignity and respect,sick pay,holiday pay ,pensions,maternity leave,I think uber will soon start to take their seedy little business practices elsewhere.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Will be interesting to see how Uber does in the UK now,all very well making billions off a sweated workforce,it's another thing now they legally have to treat their drivers with dignity and respect,sick pay,holiday pay ,pensions,maternity leave,I think uber will soon start to take their seedy little business practices elsewhere.

Exactly, it's amazing how many fine people on here don't mind the fact that Uber exploits it's workforce, so long as it saves them a few pence. Why should they care if a lot of cabbies lose their livelihoods. It will be easy enough for the mostly middle-aged men to find work elsewhere. F@ck'em eh, let's all use Uber.

Exactly, it's amazing how many fine people on here don't mind the fact that Uber exploits it's workforce, so long as it saves them a few pence. Why should they care if a lot of cabbies lose their livelihoods. It will be easy enough for the mostly middle-aged men to find work elsewhere. F@ck'em eh, let's all use Uber.

Exactly.
When a member of my family uses a cab I want them in cab with a well rested,healthy knowledgeable driver,not getting into a game Russian roulette with a knackered driver that maybe to ill to even be at work but can't afford a night off sick.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Until Brighton cabbies recognise they provide a service that is highly overpriced and comes with bugger all customer service then they deserve everything they get. For far too long the cabbies of Brighton have acted as a mafia - look what they did d to the Tuk Tuks. Nope - time to grow up and act as a CUSTOMER SERVICE business - hopefully Uber might drill that into them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Making billions? Uber has always, and continues to, rack up significant financial losses - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...es-at-least-1-2-billion-in-first-half-of-2016

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
You are correct, however, there is no reason at all why the private hire companies should charge Hackney prices. They do, and they all do. In a different industry this could be called illegal price fixing.

The 20% of wheelchair access vehicles only applies to fleets over 100.

An earlier comment suggested that the council might remove their license to operate if they can't get enough drivers. This is not possible. You can obtain an operators license with one vehicle.

The suggestions that Uber drivers are more likely to commit a crime or have an unroadworthy vehicle is nonsense too, as the drivers have exactly the same checks to themselves, their documents and their cars as other PH drivers.

Uber is a huge move forward. For a female travelling alone, it's great that they will know the car and driver in advance, the journey will be logged and they won't have to find cash there and then. This can only be better than standing at the side of the road and flagging down a cab where nothing is known or recorded.

I can see why the existing trade oppose this. They will lose business or have to lower their prices to compete. This is long overdue competition and should be celebrated.

Speaking to a friend who is a cabby, one of his biggest concerns is that Uber will show what drivers can earn and the £15,000 he tells HMRC he earns each year might not be so believable in the future. Apparently £15k is a common figure in the trade to report as earnings, despite the average being over double this?
See link to london standard earlier with crimes committed by taxi drivers,all brighton cabs have cctv with sound, over double what 30k , your having a laugh you obviously do not know the overheads for running a cab, idoubt Uber will get to 100 cabs as again tonight no cars available

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Until Brighton cabbies recognise they provide a service that is highly overpriced and comes with bugger all customer service then they deserve everything they get. For far too long the cabbies of Brighton have acted as a mafia - look what they did d to the Tuk Tuks. Nope - time to grow up and act as a CUSTOMER SERVICE business - hopefully Uber might drill that into them.

The council set the prices. The only way you could lower the prices is if there were less cabs. That way they would get more work, but you would need to wait longer. I've never met these rip-off cab drivers that you speak of, although I only use them during the day time. I usually have a friendly chat, often about the Albion. Also, on a few occasions of extra bad traffic, they have offered to knock money off. I have no idea how many drivers there are in Brighton, but you will obviously get the odd idiot as you do in any industry of that size. I've been using Streamline for years and rarely get a miserable member of the Mafiosa. Just normal decent family chaps mostly.

Last edited:

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
Thank you. As yet those that have criticised have yet to provide a practical answer to what I should have done !

That said, you're last point is a fair one - maybe I should have phoned the other companies. What I will say though is that they are in the customer service industry and given my recent experiences of cabbies barely speaking English, not knowing where they're going, not having change, arriving late - sometimes not at all - and their general rudeness I struggle to have any sympathy when I play the system to try and make sure I get the service THEY offer.
they certainly wont offer you a service in future your probably now on the other 2 companies shit list

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The council set the prices.

Except I've never found a Brighton cab willing to use the meter back to Worthing. £45-£60 every time. Uber reckon £30-50, a pre booked Worthing cab will usually be around £40

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Because it can afford to, until it gets control of the market. Why do you think that it is prepared to run at a loss? And if it does, how do you expect local cab firms to compete on price. The fact is you don't care, because it saves you a few pennies.

Easy tiger. I know why, and was providing no comment on that. I was merely correcting the notion that Uber was "making billions".

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Except I've never found a Brighton cab willing to use the meter back to Worthing. £45-£60 every time. Uber reckon £30-50, a pre booked Worthing cab will usually be around £40

I take it that's night-time when I don't often use them. You may be right, but if you book through the office, they will always do you a reasonable set-fare in my experience. .

FFS. The council don't set the prices for PH cars, which will include Uber.

They set the prices for Hackney carriages. A hack has to have a meter installed which is checked by the council. A PH can charge what they like. It just so happens that in this area (Adur / Brighton) the PH companies have decided to mirror the maximum prices set for hackneys.

In many areas it's cheaper for a PH. Locally, Worthing is usually cheaper for a PH car as is London.

Some here are trying to justify the high prices the PH companies charge by blaming it on the council and that's not how it is

See link to london standard earlier with crimes committed by taxi drivers,all brighton cabs have cctv with sound, over double what 30k , your having a laugh you obviously do not know the overheads for running a cab, idoubt Uber will get to 100 cabs as again tonight no cars available

Again, it may be a Hackney condition that they have to have cameras, but Uber will have to conform to the exact same rules that the current crop of PH companies adhere too.

Decent vehicles
Checked drivers
Correct paperwork etc.

I'm not disputing that some bad boys will get around the rules and break the law, but that law breaking is no more likely to happen with an Uber driver than it is with any of the PH companies we are all familiar with.

The cabbie I know smashes £30k. He has a school run which covers his 'dues' to the cab company, with a bit spare. He works his balls off Friday and Saturday night and for the rest of the week does an odd job to the airport if he can fit in in between the school run. He does not work Sunday or any evening during the week.

He often says lazy or less motivated drivers can struggle, but for an unqualified person he does very well indeed

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
FFS. The council don't set the prices for PH cars, which will include Uber.

They set the prices for Hackney carriages. A hack has to have a meter installed which is checked by the council. A PH can charge what they like. It just so happens that in this area (Adur / Brighton) the PH companies have decided to mirror the maximum prices set for hackneys.

In many areas it's cheaper for a PH. Locally, Worthing is usually cheaper for a PH car as is London.

Some here are trying to justify the high prices the PH companies charge by blaming it on the council and that's not how it is

I think it's because there are so many overheads for running a cab, that the ph cabs can't afford to under cut the Hackneys. Unless you are happy to have the drivers earning less than minimum wage like Uber. Anyway, I've done my bit to defend the cab trade and my regular cab drivers. I shall continue to use them and they deserve to make enough to live on in my view. I shall now flounce this thread.:flounce: Up the Albion!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here