20mph limits everywhere
Few places to park
Parking charges exorbitant
Graffiti everywhere
Restricted East to West routes for driving
Litter everywhere
Bloody great waste bins stuck on the roads
Bloody great planters stuck on the road
Unattractive buildings (what is that monster on the Vogue gyratory system?)
Roads clogged up with parked cars many of which have had their mirrors smashed off by passing traffic.
Buildings purposely decorated with official graffiti
Public trampling all over the lawns in town
Madeira Drive falling apart
Syringes laying by the roadside
Bus lanes
Bike lanes
No pride of ownership on the outside of buildings
Overall sense of decay

You don’t like bus lanes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Is this thread for real? I’m very confused. Have I been transported into some extraordinarily big ‘in’ joke or something?

Jospeh

Oct 28, 2016
20mph limits everywhere
Few places to park
Parking charges exorbitant
Graffiti everywhere
Restricted East to West routes for driving
Litter everywhere
Bloody great waste bins stuck on the roads
Bloody great planters stuck on the road
Unattractive buildings (what is that monster on the Vogue gyratory system?)
Roads clogged up with parked cars many of which have had their mirrors smashed off by passing traffic.
Buildings purposely decorated with official graffiti
Public trampling all over the lawns in town
Madeira Drive falling apart
Syringes laying by the roadside
Bus lanes
Bike lanes
No pride of ownership on the outside of buildings
Overall sense of decay

Moaning about too many resident cars and then moaning about bike and bus lanes in the next breath. Moaning about rubbish everywhere and then moaning about too big bins ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Brighton's manky but then always has been. Was positively DICKENSIAN in the 70s and 80s, tho never really noticed it at the time. Still love the place dearly, but it's all about the stupid level of unrestricted private cars being given Soviet-style party member precedence over ordinary people attempting to just walk around town.Those car owners need to be financially forced to fvck right off and give the town the future it deserves. Congestion Charge would sort the Hard Of Thinking motorists out overnight.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is this thread for real? I’m very confused. Have I been transported into some extraordinarily big ‘in’ joke or something?

No you're in the right place. This is where people who found Brighton a bit too edgy, left wing and bohemian to live in have come to moan about it still being edgy, left wing and bohemian now they've moved out.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
No you're in the right place. This is where people who found Brighton a bit too edgy, left wing and bohemian to live in have come to moan about it still being edgy, left wing and bohemian now they've moved out.

I am guessing you just made that up to try and make yourself look clever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Spot on. If people want Brighton to be more like Eastbourne, they can, I don't know, go and live in Eastbourne?

And as for driving from east to west, residents know plenty of ways. And there's always the option of walking. Climbing all those hills keeps you fit.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Lived and worked in Brighton since the eighties. Seen many improvements, revitalised North Laine area, Jubille Library and surrounding area including New Road, and New England Areas that were wastelands revamped. Loads of good pubs and restaurants. Great cinema at The Duke Of Yorks that used to be a flea pit. Seafront development including i360. Growing universities, new football stadium. More positives than negatives for me. Main downside is the lack of police/specials visible on the streets in last year - down to budget cuts. Very noticeable in St. James Street which had begun to recover but seems to have slipped back again.

Last edited:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Interesting thread and one that, for me anyway, is particularly relevant; since I have just got back from a day trip on Monday after spending three weeks gallivanting around Spanish Cities.

I have visited Ayamonte (town), Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Madrid and Bilbao and my 6 hour sortee to Brighton on Monday was disturbing. Between the station and the Dome I saw 6 beggars of which one told me to f**k off (I did nothing o prompt this). The Pavillion is a disgrace and the gardens would befit any public space in Aleppo. Litter on the street, more graffiti than I have seen in the UK for a long time....

I was shocked.

I live in Glasgow and despite it's unfair reputation it is well kept, maintained and very presentable, by comparison.

Brighton gets a load of visitors each year and the Pavillion and grounds should be a beacon and tidy, well kept and fun to visit.

It hurts me because I love so much about the place and my happy times there as a kid.

Time to put a wee nightly tariff on Hotels and B&Bs (£1 a night per person will do) and channel this money into keeping the key architectural buildings and attractions spick and span.

I understand that Max Miller Way on the seafront is still closed and the whole seafront esplanade East of the PaLLLLLLLace Pier is in similar need of some serious TLC.

Needs a new council with fresh ideas to invigorate....but will it happen? Doubt it...Too many Bohemian DFLs leading totally false hippy lifestyles, voting in nasty green councilors and such.

Back for the Scummers match so will do a more in depth root and branch review of the state of our city....

TNBA

TTF

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Lived and worked in Brighton since the eighties. Seen many improvements, revitalised North Laine area, Jubille Library and surrounding area including New Road, and New England Areas that were wastelands revamped. Loads of good pubs and restaurants. Great cinema at The Duke Of Yorks that used to be a flea pit. Seafront development including i360. Growing universities, new football stadium. More positives than negatives for me. Main downside is the lack of police/specials visible on the streets in last year - down to budget cuts. Very noticeable in St. James Street which had begun to recover but seems to have slipped back again.

I'll give you some of that, but the i360! Come on. The poky New England area flats are already looking weathered and tawdry, lots of daylight yobbery as a result of the nearby substance abuse drop in centres. New Road is full of street drinkers and there's usually a police van parked up, and as officially the only member of NSC who still uses local lending libraries I'd say the Jubilee falls way short of what it could have been, very bad use of space and a surprisingly small book selection for what is arguably Sussex's flagship library.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Saturday I went to marina for bowling and dinner.

I assume you've got kids so the proximity of bowling and food is useful so I'm not specifically picking on you here.

But I find The Marina an interesting watertest of people. If they really like the combination of uninspiring, identikit, entertainment and dime a dozen national chain restaurants I suspect they could live far cheaper and happier lives elsewhere. The Marina is the anti-Brighton.

(Though the Weatherspoons is alright.)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here