Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Private firms (G4S) may be given powers to arrest people

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Very dangerous path in my view. This is essentially creating a corporate police state and can see lots of people being tipped over the edge if this does come "law"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4927688/Private-firms-given-powers-arrest-people.html

Coincidentally, it would appear Theresa May's husband holds large shares in G4S. Surely Government (especially a PM) should not be able to financial gain from private investment in this way? The lines between democracy and capitalism are getting beyond blurred. ???

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Very dangerous path in my view. This is essential creating a corporate police state and can see lots of people being tipped over the edge if this does come "law"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4927688/Private-firms-given-powers-arrest-people.html

Coincidentally, Theresa Mays husband holds large shares in G4S. Surely Government (especially a PM) should not be able to financial gain from private investment in this way? The lines between democracy and capitalism are getting beyond blurred. ???

There is no line between the 2. Oh and ending a statement with "thoughts?" is a very lazy and irritating habit. Thoughts?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
There is no line between the 2. Oh and ending a statement with "thoughts?" is a very lazy and irritating habit. Thoughts?

Sorry but I have no clue what you are talking about. Why is ending a thread title on a message board with "thoughts" lazy or irritating? Surely it would be lazier not to add it at the end? Thoughts?

I edited it just for you.

Last edited:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
We can all arrest people as long as we use reasonable force and hand them over to the Police ASAP...

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2011/aug/09/guide-to-citizens-arrest

An employee of a Private Security Firm would presumably be better trained than private citizens to arrest people?

Oh, and thinking about this I remember I have actually done this!

You can't just use citizens arrest if somebody owes you money. Having a law where private firms can arrest a person for owing utility bills which ultimately lead to court fines/orders is not the same as using a citizens arrest on a criminal for a serious crime.

Last edited:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
No real news here. They are looking at outsourcing what is already being done by court employees, not Police Officers, and is only related to court imposed fines, not your gas bill or credit card debt.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Very dangerous path in my view. This is essentially creating a corporate police state and can see lots of people being tipped over the edge if this does come "law"

Coincidentally, it would appear Theresa May's husband holds large shares in G4S. Surely Government (especially a PM) should not be able to financial gain from private investment in this way? The lines between democracy and capitalism are getting beyond blurred. ???

Oh dear. You have outed yourself as a Mail reader. Cue torrents of abuse

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
No real news here. They are looking at outsourcing what is already being done by court employees, not Police Officers, and is only related to court imposed fines, not your gas bill or credit card debt.

Gas bills and credit card debts can and do go to court. There is even an online automated system now where the creditor pays £25 to a government service that opens a court case against the debt holder.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Gas bills and credit card debts can and do go to court. There is even an online automated system now where the creditor pays £25 to a government service that opens a court case against the debt holder.

Fair point. A court ruling/fine may be the result of a domestic bill/debt but once it has gone that far and a fine has been imposed that you then don't pay, your door is coming in anyway, they will just have a different colour hat on. The OP suggests that debt collectors are being given arrest powers which is different to court appointed officials being used/outsourced for unpaid court fines. Don't know about 'Community Penalty Breaches' though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You can't just use citizens arrest if somebody owes you money. Having a law where private firms can arrest a person for owing utility bills which ultimately lead to court fines/orders is not the same as using a citizens arrest on a criminal for a serious crime.

they arent going to arrest you for having an outstanding utility bill, its pretty clear from the article they are talking about people that already have court orders and fines against them. they arent going to have arrest powers like the police, only for the specific case of court fines. personally, i dont see the need to make this private, the courts should be an area thats part of the state and stay in state control, but its long way from dressing is up as a private police force.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
And the advantage is? Cheap labour, gig contracts, no pension, lower public spending, bigger tax cuts for the rich, Tory government looking after the people they went to elite university with?

Thoughts?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If this spreads to credit and store card debts there wouldnt be sufficient places to put those arrested and awaiting a court hearing nor would there be time to fit in all the court hearings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here