Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth 9th best team in England

bob_monkhouse

Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken
Jun 16, 2014
Liphook
Bournemouth have just signed Nathan Ake for a reported £20 million ........

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It must have been an incredible surreal fun ride for Bournemouth fans over the last 4 years. We have had some great times but what they have done is beyond my wildest dreams for Brighton. It will probably go pear shaped at some stage but what a ride!!

20 million on one player? Probably close to our entire transfer entire budget there :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Please can you not mention Bournemouth without prefixing it with the word "Plucky"?

They really are a miracle club.
Sadly such irony will be lost as this tale becomes legend. Friends and family with no more than a mild interest in football will ask how we're doing, and whether we can ever match the over achievement of plucky Bournemouth.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I think we do have the funds, but they won't be spent. We're likely to lose players we want over £1m signing-on fees, and an extra £1-£2m in transfer fees.

I know it's a lot of money to you and I, but if we want to stay up we'll have to pay it.

Very O/T but I note your "Murray 17" user name joined in 2003 yet our Glenn came to the club in 2008. Am I a massive pedant or did you forsee his arrival 5 years beforehand? Just asking.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Sadly such irony will be lost as this tale becomes legend. Friends and family with no more than a mild interest in football will ask how we're doing, and whether we can ever match the over achievement of plucky Bournemouth.

That's the point. It's over-achievement. At the risk of sounding like a Sheffield Wednesday fan, we're not going to be patted on the head and called 'plucky'.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Other than [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] I'm sure, is it only me that has had to look up Nathan Ake to find out who he is, what club he was at and what position he plays at?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's the point. It's over-achievement.
Oh, maybe this is all over my head then. I thought they'd spent so much that it wasn't really an over-achievement. Did they have a tiny budget then?
we're not going to be patted on the head and called 'plucky'.
Having only just arrived in the PL, I think we might :)

Other than [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] I'm sure, is it only me that has had to look up Nathan Ake to find out who he is, what club he was at and what position he plays at?
No. Although being a pedant, I should add that I haven't had to look to look him up, and still have no intention of doing so. Actually that's weird, I should be interested in our opposition's players - it seems my mind is still stuck in the Championship.

I'm not PL ready.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It must have been an incredible surreal fun ride for Bournemouth fans over the last 4 years. We have had some great times but what they have done is beyond my wildest dreams for Brighton. It will probably go pear shaped at some stage but what a ride!!

20 million on one player? Probably close to our entire transfer entire budget there :wink:

Your right in terms of it being a great time for them.
Personally I don't think they have much choice. Whilst they have Eddie in charge I think they will stay up and do ok. I think their in trouble if they drop out the league and don't bounce back straight away though. Players in massive wages a small ground and not a great foundation from the bottom upwards would easily see then do a Portsmouth and plumit back down the leagues.
Fair play if they keep it going for another 10 years plus, but if they don't I'm not sure the ride is worth the possible consequences.
Another 20 million today on a Chelsea reserve. Decent player and potential to improve but not worth that sort of cash.
There not the plucky little club they like to play on. Spending well above their means to stay afloat. Reminds me on a punzy scheme. Keep plowing the cash in until 1 day it all tumbles down.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Defoe on a free seems like good business.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40051031

Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe has re-signed for former club Bournemouth on a free transfer.

The England international, 34, who has signed a three-year deal, said: "It's great to be back. The one thing I can guarantee is goals."

"It was an easy decision, joining a top team with a top manager," added Defoe who scored 15 league goals last season.

To be fair a great bit of business as he was on a free - there will be relegation clauses probably the same as he just invoked on us which will work for both parties. Even at his age I would not be surprised if you had to pay close to a £20m transfer fee for a player of his quality in the current market which means that player would cost double with wages

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Chelsea are building up a whopping pot of cash to spend this summer... they have let quite a few off the youngsters go for a lot of cash.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No. Although being a pedant, I should add that I haven't had to look to look him up, and still have no intention of doing so. Actually that's weird, I should be interested in our opposition's players - it seems my mind is still stuck in the Championship.

I'm not PL ready.
Very much this. :lolol:

Now that we've made it, I almost can't be arsed! I certainly really won't be grumbling if we go down.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The Palace 'catchment' includes huge folllowings for Fulham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Millwall and Charlton. I don't think it's case of simple geographical proximity to the nearest stadium being the decisive factor, in London. The attraction of the three large London clubs will always undermine them.

Palace couldn't sell out the ground in the Championship, typical gates being 15-17,000, suggesting they are not a sleeping giant awaiting a huge ground to tap into those resources.

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=316

Fair point but if Palace ever get a new ground/facilities, I can see them getting back to 25,000-30,000 regularly. Never forget, they got 52,000 in the late 70's for their title winner v Burnley and thats far more than we have ever managed.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Bournemouth's challenge is in keeping Howe, sustaining their current level of success, both for a long enough time frame to build a fanbase, and however long it takes them to build a new ground. A very hard ask.

That said they've done about as well as could possibly be expected in recent years. If Brighton are 9th in the second season of PL football, it'll be some achievement.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Never heard of him, and my give a shit level for other Premier League clubs means I won't be bothering to look either. I am sure it will kick in once the season starts but I really don't care what other clubs do right now. Just interested to see who we sign and that's it. I intend to be a very ignorant Premier League fan.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Never heard of him, and my give a shit level for other Premier League clubs means I won't be bothering to look either. I am sure it will kick in once the season starts but I really don't care what other clubs do right now. Just interested to see who we sign and that's it. I intend to be a very ignorant Premier League fan.
Cut from the same cloth.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In the last 2 windows Bournemouth has spent THIRTY FIVE MILLION POUNDS on Jordan Ibe and Nathan Ake

:lolol: £35m.

The world's gone mad.

May 24, 2017
In the last 2 windows Bournemouth has spent THIRTY FIVE MILLION POUNDS on Jordan Ibe and Nathan Ake

:lolol: £35m.

The world's gone mad.

That's the price of ambition i'm afraid or at least the price of perceived ambition which is actually more important for a club to move forward............you won't catch us paying it of course...no no......far to 'shrewd'....:facepalm:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Bournemouth's challenge is in keeping Howe, sustaining their current level of success, both for a long enough time frame to build a fanbase, and however long it takes them to build a new ground. A very hard ask.

That said they've done about as well as could possibly be expected in recent years. If Brighton are 9th in the second season of PL football, it'll be some achievement.

Where would Howe go though? Seriously, which of the eight clubs above Bournemouth would take a punt. Everton one day maybe? But he has made his reputation at a conceived "small club". He is never going to walk in to Old Trafford. The only step up (or down maybe) is if the England job came around. And I don't see him being tempted by that any time soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here