Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
High risk strategy from Corbyn given other parties will gang up on him. However, by announcing it so soon before the debate it brings the issue of May not turning up back into the spotlight, and that will potentially have more of an impact than the debate itself will.

and if May turns up its yet another u-turn! sticky wicket for her, they'll probably go with the strategy that she cant do herself any damage by not appearing. Corbyn has shown he's a good campaigner, even if his main policy is to bankrupt the country.

and on another point, Baroness Sturgeon could be deputy PM in a coalition...

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Home Secretary Amber Rudd is set to stand in for Theresa May tonight and it doesn't look like that's going to change.

A Conservative spokesman said: “There are no changes to the Prime Minister’s plans.

"She is out campaigning today, engaging with voters about the issues that matter, not swapping sound bites with six other politicians."

A Conservative source added: “The public want to see a leader who can stare down the EU-27 at the negotiation table, not someone who will need their iPad to remember their dodgy facts in a debate.”

No words necessary. Ok a couple - weak and wobbly.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
High risk strategy from Corbyn given other parties will gang up on him. However, by announcing it so soon before the debate it brings the issue of May not turning up back into the spotlight, and that will potentially have more of an impact than the debate itself will.

Could be make or break for JC, if he gets it right things it really could be game on for him

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
and if May turns up its yet another u-turn! sticky wicket for her, they'll probably go with the strategy that she cant do herself any damage by not appearing. Corbyn has shown he's a good campaigner, even if his main policy is to bankrupt the country.

and on another point, Baroness Sturgeon could be deputy PM in a coalition...

As Bozza already mentions, that's impossible. I know like it seems she is the leader of the Westminster party, but she's actually not a Westminster MP.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Apologies if already posted but I see BBC have a leader debate tonight

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says he will take part in a seven-way BBC general election debate later.
Lib Dem leader Tim Farron, UKIP's Paul Nuttall, SNP deputy leader Angus Robertson, Green co-leader Caroline Lucas and Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood will participate.
Theresa May has refused to take part in any debates, so Home Secretary Amber Rudd will be representing the Tories.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Levels of immigration in Aust are way higher than ours per capita than ours

That's right. The work permit system allows a country to choose the level of immigration and Australia have chosen a high level. They are free to change the number of permits issued at any time depending on economic and social need. It's not just Australia who operate this system and I do not understand why it was rejected by TM so emphatically. It's good to see Labour proposing such a system after years of advocating a Lib Dem type free for all approach.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Apologies if already posted but I see BBC have a leader debate tonight

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says he will take part in a seven-way BBC general election debate later.
Lib Dem leader Tim Farron, UKIP's Paul Nuttall, SNP deputy leader Angus Robertson, Green co-leader Caroline Lucas and Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood will participate.
Theresa May has refused to take part in any debates, so Home Secretary Amber Rudd will be representing the Tories.

Seven is too many I reckon?

Get rid of the SNP and Plaid Cymru at the very least considering is a national debate and probably UKIP and Green too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seven is too many I reckon?

Get rid of the SNP and Plaid Cymru at the very least considering is a national debate and probably UKIP and Green too.

The SNP have 54 seats in the UK parliament – how could you leave out the 3rd largest party in our parliament!!??

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The SNP have 54 seats in the UK parliament – how could you leave out the 3rd largest party in our parliament!!??

True, I was leaving them out on the basis that they are not a national party and will only win a maximum of 9% of the available seats and this debate wont work that well with seven people on it, and if you are going to get rid of Wales you have to get rid of Scotland too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
#projectfear

manifesto pledges to spend 250billion on non-specific projects, on top of nationalisation of various rail and utilities, increased spending in every area backed by dubious costings (will get about half the revenue), and another £250bn promised to be lent through national bank. yep, adding £500Bn + to the national debt and at least 80-100bn in interest payments every year is frightening. when the boom subsidies, who is going to pay for all that?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
manifesto pledges to spend 250billion on non-specific projects, on top of nationalisation of various rail and utilities, increased spending in every area backed by dubious costings (will get about half the revenue), and another £250bn promised to be lent through national bank. yep, adding £500Bn + to the national debt and at least 80-100bn in interest payments every year is frightening. when the boom subsidies, who is going to pay for all that?

From all the savings from Brexit dummy!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

We're The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the land of hope and glory, the 5th largest economy in the world, our best days are ahead of us etc - Brexit means Brexit and we can pay for that, so we can afford the Labour manifesto too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'd justify it on the basis that only 8.2% of the UK can vote for them. Why should the 91.8% majority have to listen to that ghastly woman (I assume they're putting up Sturgeon even though she has nothing to do with the UK Parliament) again?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think I'm in the minority in my view of Nicola Sturgeon, but I do get the impression the SNP would be VERY successful if they somehow morphed into a UK-wide party with her at the helm.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think I'm in the minority in my view of Nicola Sturgeon, but I do get the impression the SNP would be VERY successful if they somehow morphed into a UK-wide party with her at the helm.

I think a lot of people in England would vote SNP to get rid of the wee harridan forever!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Do you think Keir Starmer would? I would guess he'd head up the negotiations for Labour.

Think I'd trust him a fraction less than Tony Blair!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here