Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Barton

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Not a fan of him as a player, but I'm a bit hesitant to laugh at someone who clearly has an addiction. Hopefully he can use the 18 months to get help.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
How on earth can he think that playing in a league sponsored by a bookies is the same for a gambling addict as working in a brewery for an alcoholic? Isn't that more like working in a bookies? It is like an alcoholic jockey blaming John smiths for sponsoring the grand national.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You may laugh, but that is a double edged sword.

I now believe Burnley, a midfielder light, will pull out all the stops to get Dale Stephens and maybe prepared to throw more at him than we will to achieve it.

Barton is a complete d*ckhead and deserves nothing less, but Burnleys loss may well now make our chances of keeping our most influential midfielder that much harder.

if Dale Stephens WANTS to leave then it's best to let him go......seeing as we are now a prem side next season there can't be much of a decision to be made apart from whether he wants to be back ooop north , or if he is happy to play prem football for us...whatever will be will be...imho

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You mean you didn't read his statement, thoughtfully included above, thoroughly?!
Thoroughly? I saw it was more than a couple of lines and didn't read any of it.

He placed something like 6 bets for his own team to lose but never when he was in the match squad
Ok, that's pretty bloody bad. I was thinking, 18 months for just betting on other games he knows nothing about is harsh (not that I'd care), but you can't bet on your own team, when you have insider info.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
if Dale Stephens WANTS to leave then it's best to let him go......seeing as we are now a prem side next season there can't be much of a decision to be made apart from whether he wants to be back ooop north , or if he is happy to play prem football for us...whatever will be will be...imho
Agree. But being a pedant, I'll say it's not 'let him go', as it's not our choice to make, he has no contract with us.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Sweet as a nut
The only downside is that we won't see Barton being humiliated on the pitch in his latter years with youngsters running rings round him

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Thoroughly? I saw it was more than a couple of lines and didn't read any of it.

Ok, that's pretty bloody bad. I was thinking, 18 months for just betting on other games he knows nothing about is harsh (not that I'd care), but you can't bet on your own team, when you have insider info.
Yep, he claims that not being in the match squad meant he had no way to influence the game...seemingly ignoring that he'd have information few others would as well as access to the players.

Not his fault though remember.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I've always rather liked Barton. There, I've said it. He's a standout character, a villain in this panto we call football, and it would be less of a game without those of his ilk. Who cares if he bets on football, its only a game. If they're not going to ban him for trying to break someone's leg they shouldn't ban him for this.

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
an average of £150 per bet - is that on the 15,000 bets placed across all sports in the timeframe, or just the 1200 on football? If the former, that's £2.25m!!! (the later is a not inconsiderable £180k)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I would suggest the FA wanted to give him a 12 month ban, but would have seen it reduced on appeal. This way, even on a successful appeal they'll still get their twelve months.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, he claims that not being in the match squad meant he had no way to influence the game...seemingly ignoring that he'd have information few others would as well as access to the players.

Not his fault though remember.

Well, he CLAIMS that the reason he bet on his team to lose was as a petty vindictive reaction on his part to being dropped from the matchday squad.

He's actually that stupid, I'm almost inclined to believe him.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This won't seem particulary popular.....but I think the ban is too harsh.

I agree, I cannot stand the guy, but this seems way over what others have been given. He'll appeal and it'll be downgraded to a six month ban starting today and ending, of course, at the end of Oct.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Agree. But being a pedant, I'll say it's not 'let him go', as it's not our choice to make, he has no contract with us.

well....it all comes down to where he wants to be and obviously $$$$$$.... but really...Brighton vs Burnley as a place to live...??? soon be resolved anyway...:thumbsup:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Well, he CLAIMS that the reason he bet on his team to lose was as a petty vindictive reaction on his part to being dropped from the matchday squad.

He's actually that stupid, I'm almost inclined to believe him.

You're right, it is surprisingly feasible that his act of petty vindictiveness would be something that has absolutely no bearing on anyone whatsoever, whislt also being something only he'd know about...that'll show them.

Quite sad that he doesn't seem to realise that his reasoning for the betting is irrelevant, he'd have broken the rules regardless.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not a fan of him as a player, but I'm a bit hesitant to laugh at someone who clearly has an addiction. Hopefully he can use the 18 months to get help.

Not going to laugh at his supposed addiction, but cannot see how it is in any way offered in mitigation.

If he likes a bet / feels compelled to have a bet he was always free to do so - to satisfy that compulsion - just NOT on football matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here