Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we outspend any of the top 5 in January?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
A proper quality LB and CB would be nice. When Upson played we looked imperious at the back, someone of a similar ilk would be great for our promotion push.

Eh? Central defence is the ONE position (other than keeper)where we are spoilt. Why would he spend there when we could do with cover or first choice in every other position?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If you had a (approximately) one in three chance of winning a £150 million lottery ticket, how much would you pay for a ticket?

The problem with signing a £8-10 million player though is that he would expect wages to be commensurate with that transfer fee, so you would be looking at £40k a week for a 4 year contract, committing yourself to spending another £8-9 million in wages.

If he turns out to be a bit toilet (and I'm looking at YOU here Nikola Zigic of Birmingham) then the club will struggle to offload him as he won't accept a lower wage, and you are stuffed in terms of recruitment during that period to an extent as there's a dead weight on the wage bill.

Do I think we will break our transfer record in January? Based on comments from Naylor and the threads on South American interests I would say yes, but I don't think it will be a handful of £5 million plus players, probably just one.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If you are in Tony's position, assuming you can afford it, then this has to be the season to go for it. Spend as much as you can on semi "proven" young players who will improve the squad, but also have a resale value if we need to cash in. Doubtful we are ever going to be in a better position than this - a massive calculated gamble is needed.

Take Jordan Rhodes - I'm not saying he is who we should get at all, but assume 10-15 million gets him. He is 25, not quite at peak powers yet, so potential to improve and value increases. If we gamble and it goes wrong, he will still have resale value if we need it. If it goes right we've made it to the prem.

If Im in Tony's shoes, and I can get them, then I'd go for 4 or 5 players, up to £30 million total cost, who fit the profile of being under 26, already immediately good enough for our team and with potential for premier league. Get them now, there are always integration issues to consider but half way through the season, TOP, it makes sense. We all know its going to be tight at end of season, we can't risk missing out by 4 or 5 points for the sake of not spending that money

All that assumes he can find the money!! I don't think my nerves will take another 25 odd games of 1 goal margins

:lol::lol::lol:

If that was not written in jest, please go and support Chelsea, or QPR, or Man City, or anyone, just not us, please?

In reality, spend somewhere between 5 and 10 mill, on one striker, job done hopefully.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Will we outspend rival teams which have bigger budgets and parachute payments? No, of course we won't. But everybody knows this season is the club's best opportunity to get promoted to the top flight since the play off final against Notts County 25 years ago. As such Bloom will do everything he can to maximise the Albion's chances of getting promoted but will not risk breaking FFP. My guess is we'll buy another striker ( regardless of Wilson situation) and perhaps one or two others, a winger and another full-back?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have faith in the non spreadsheet based, well informed and widely spread recruitment methods the club now employ.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A proper quality LB and CB would be nice. When Upson played we looked imperious at the back, someone of a similar ilk would be great for our promotion push.

This is where I'm at, I think the defence needs strengthening. Its really, really hard to break up a settled unit though, one which is giving its all, so its a big risk. But the defence as it stands is not keeping as many clean sheets as a top of the table side should. We've taken the lead in 8 of our 10 away matches and conceded an equaliser (or 2) in every single one of them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd say we won't need to spend much at all. Maybe loan market for a left back and winger. If Wilso is staying then I think up front should be sorted - 2 strikers in each position now (ie Hemed & Zamora slower hold up players, Baldock and Wilson fast runners).

One thing I can envisage already is if we don't go up and don't spend big in Jan, people blaming that reason and saying 'why hasn't Bloom gone for it.' I hope I'm wrong, but this squad is pretty damn good as it is at the mo. I guess people always want a scapegoat though... Plus factor in FFP and how close we will probably be to the limits etc...

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
:lol::lol::lol:

If that was not written in jest, please go and support Chelsea, or QPR, or Man City, or anyone, just not us, please?

In reality, spend somewhere between 5 and 10 mill, on one striker, job done hopefully.

WTF would i want to go and support those W£$%"rs !?!?!

The question at the start of the thread was "Will we outspend any of the top 5 in January?". My posts are saying I think we will and I'm backing it up by putting the case as I see it from Tony Blooms perspective given the current situation.

I don't like the size of the sums involved, but I'm saying, from Tony Blooms perspective and given the reality of the situation and what other teams will do, IF he wants to get to the premier league, then he has to consider a big spend up in January as I expect this is going to be our best opportunity for a long time!

Say we do just go and get one x 5 - 10 million striker. If you are Bloom, would he think ok, that's enough - or would he think (in conjunction with CH.... Hmm - what if we lose Stephens due to injury for 5 - 10 games (bear in mind over last 4 seasons he has played 16, 40, 28, 30 league games p/season) and at the same time Kayal gets suspended or injured. Repeat for Bruno.

Someone earlier made a very good point about wages, and the need to sign someone not sh!t - and I see Chris Hughton's comment this morning about balance in the squad and the risk of too many players so I totally gets its a complex balance and difficult decision. Ultimately not one for me to make and CH / TB etc have got it 100% right so far this season - but I think we will outspend most of the top 5 in January.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'd say we won't need to spend much at all. Maybe loan market for a left back and winger. If Wilso is staying then I think up front should be sorted - 2 strikers in each position now (ie Hemed & Zamora slower hold up players, Baldock and Wilson fast runners).

One thing I can envisage already is if we don't go up and don't spend big in Jan, people blaming that reason and saying 'why hasn't Bloom gone for it.' I hope I'm wrong, but this squad is pretty damn good as it is at the mo. I guess people always want a scapegoat though... Plus factor in FFP and how close we will probably be to the limits etc...

This. If we have everyone fit we can beat any team in this division. Of course it's a big "if" but I don't think the answer is necessarily chucking piles of cash around. A couple of astute additions, no disruptive egos, we'll be fine.

I also trust the people we now have at the club to do the right thing. They've got pretty much everything right so far this season / pre season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Throwing money around comes with no guarantees of Promotion. Consequently, I think there will be spending but i think the budget will already be pre-planned with scope for a slight increase to cover injuries;

I wouldn't want to go spending money for the sake of it. The players we have are doing a decent job and too many changes might upset that. A few extra cutting edge players might be enough to see us go up

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One big signing who will be potential prem quality (probably from LATAM), then maybe LB and wing cover. Think that'll be it. Completely trust the management to judicially bring in just what we need. Been exemplary so far. We don't need an overpaid prima donna that upsets the team dynamic either.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If it wasn't for the uncertainty with the left back and winger injuries, along with the potential for Wilson to be recalled, I'd be happy with us not making any additions.

Derby and Middlesbrough may well splash out more, but they can only ever have 11 on the pitch, and they can't buy the team spirit that we seem to have right now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Calleri (#HoldTheNerve)

A 93 day left back

Van La Parra

Towell already signed.

I suspect there is a grain of truth in the Bridcutt return rumour as well.

Try to move on Chicksen and Holla.

Last edited:

No - obviously it needs to be done within what are acceptable limits.

My understanding is that its assessed over a three year period - taking this from the Championship website - "The £13m limit for 2015/16 is in line with the losses permitted under the new regulations which will permit a maximum loss of £39m over a rolling 3 season timeframe (compared to an equivalent figure of £105m in the Premier League). A club that moves between the Premier League and Championship will be assessed in accordance with the permitted loss in the relevant divisions played in during the 3 year period in question. For example, a club that had played two seasons in the Championship and one in the Premier League would have a maximum permitted loss of £61m, consisting of one season at £35m and two at £13m.

Bear in mind

1) Make it to the prem and the problem realistically goes away
2) spending x million on a player doesnt automatically add that as a "loss"
3) The players have resale value so if absolutely necessary you'd expect to be able to recoup it anyway

Theres no doubt there is a risk, which is why i describe it as a calculated gamble. Blooms stated aim is the premier league - he has the option of going for it now, on the basis we are half way through the season and unlikely to ever be better positioned for a 26 games assault to get up OR stick with what we've got / maybe add a few improvements and hope that we can do enough to get up (and if we dont try again next year etc).

The Championship FFP regulations allowing losses to be spread over a three year period take effect from next season; the permitted loss for this season is £13M and this applies to the football club not to any holding company.
I don't agree with the second point about player purchase adding to loss. Any registration (purchase) fee is amortised over the contract period and appears in the accounts as a cost - eg paying £6M for a player on a three year contract results in a charge of £2M/pa

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here