Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Brighton and Hove PROVINCIAL?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I never said Brighton isn't different, but being different isn't necessarily a claim for an identity. I'm still waiting for examples of how it's different than say, Sheffield?

Yet, where's the evidence that Brighton's at ease with different countries and cultures? Surely that has something to do with being exposed to different cultures. Brighton doesn't have a heterogeneous culture.

Sheffield and Brighton are both great places but again, very different. Sheffield is a good night out but can be a lot more "towny" than Brighton. It has it's student population which obviously counters the white shirt and shiny shoes brigade but it's a Northern town. Like most Northern towns it has a large working class population that lives for Friday night and gets dressed I to the nines for a trip to the local. Save, West St, Brighton doesn't really have that Northern mentality.
Oddly, it being in the SW, I find Plymouth a very similar city to Sheffield. The vibe of it. That mix of student and working class. Brighton doesn't really have that.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Sheffield and Brighton are both great places but again, very different. Sheffield is a good night out but can be a lot more "towny" than Brighton. It has it's student population which obviously counters the white shirt and shiny shoes brigade but it's a Northern town. Like most Northern towns it has a large working class population that lives for Friday night and gets dressed I to the nines for a trip to the local. Save, West St, Brighton doesn't really have that Northern mentality.
Oddly, it being in the SW, I find Plymouth a very similar city to Sheffield. The vibe of it. That mix of student and working class. Brighton doesn't really have that.

A very fair point, I suppose I looked at it from a student perspective; in the sense its city has a large student population. But from what I gathered, had a relatively care-free attitude as well. Which I found to be similar to Brighton's.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I never said Brighton isn't different, but being different isn't necessarily a claim for an identity. I'm still waiting for examples of how it's different than say, Sheffield?

Yet, where's the evidence that Brighton's at ease with different countries and cultures? Surely that has something to do with being exposed to different cultures. Brighton doesn't have a heterogeneous culture.

Er...people bring and acquire knowledge of different cultures and countries inside and outside of the town they live in which can then influence others....just because a place is not massively diverse does not mean it's not more at ease or tolerant etc.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A very fair point, I suppose I looked at it from a student perspective; in the sense its city has a large student population. But from what I gathered, had a relatively care-free attitude as well. Which I found to be similar to Brighton's.

I agree it certainly has that. There are similarities for sure but there's just that little element that seperates it. Well, that's the vibe I got. I suppose we all experience places differently depending on what work we do there, who we mix with, where we go in the city etc.
Take Brighton. If you're a group of lads from Croydon down for a beano you'll probably head to West St and come away with the impression it's "high street party town , 2 for 1 shots with the odd uni cyclist knocking about".
If you live here or are visiting say, student mates, you'll more likely head to a decent pub, The Albert maybe and maybe the Green Door store afterward. Same town, two very different experiences.

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I agree it certainly has that. There are similarities for sure but there's just that little element that seperates it. Well, that's the vibe I got. I suppose we all experience places differently depending on what work we do there, who we mix with, where we go in the city etc.

Agreed. Though I said this earlier, and still got called a 'dick.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Er...people bring and acquire knowledge of different cultures and countries inside and outside of the town they live in which can then influence others....just because a place is not massively diverse does not mean it's not more at ease or tolerant etc.

I'm going to stop replying to you because you consistently miss the point, so er....re-read what I've said. Because a white person understanding the culture of a Samoan islander and bringing it back to Brighton doesn't make it cosmopolitan.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Having lived in some bland but quite well off, nicely presented towns, mainly in Surrey but also having lived in Brighton for a very long time I can categorically say Brighton is not provincial. I suppose it's relative, if you came from Berlin then maybe it seems provincial but if you compare it to the majority of places in the UK it is not.
It certainly does have an identity, there really isn't anywhere quite like it. Maybe Bristol?
There are a thousand small towns across England, all exactly the same with no outstanding features. Brighton is a world away from those.
All towns have their little food markets once a month or a half decent deli but by Jiminny! You spend a bit of time in a place that has Starbucks as it's most popular social destination, a choice of two pubs and one place to buy food and you soon realise Brighton is a fantastic place.

Good post, agreed. Brighton is not provincial, it is definitely accepting and liberal. Not sure it could really be classed as multi-cultural though based on its ethnic make up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is it really cosmopolitan? I disagree. Lincoln has a much greater diverse population than Brighton and its far from 'cosmopolitan'.

Demographics of Brighton don't paint a 'cosmopolitan' city either http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sit...icdevelopment/Demography_and_Geog_Context.pdf

It's a myth to call Brighton cosmopolitan, often by the pretentious section of the city who believe Brighton is a unique place. It isn't, it doesn't have this 'identity' people claim it has.

you dont know what cosmopolitan means. its not about "diverse population" its about the blending of cultures together, not necessarily just ethinc ones either.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Likewise: start with what the word means...oh and the person who went to Samoa, if by their experience they influenced others to be more at ease with other cultures then, yes, it would directly contribute to the place becoming more cosmepolitan.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
you dont know what cosmopolitan means. its not about "diverse population" its about the blending of cultures together, not necessarily just ethinc ones either.

Indeed, I think [MENTION=14103]green[/MENTION]elbows has confused cosmopolitan with multi-cultural. I would say Brighton is the former but not the latter.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
wait til Bushy sees this!
***Ahem*** I suspect 'bushy' would say brighton isnt provincial at all, its not 'diverse' and most of of the lefties on here who claim to embrace 'diversity' would run a mile if it was, but provincial ? No, its not called London by the sea for nothing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yet, where's the evidence that Brighton's at ease with different countries and cultures? Surely that has something to do with being exposed to different cultures.

It's helpful, but not a pre-requisite.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed, I think [MENTION=14103]green[/MENTION]elbows has confused cosmopolitan with multi-cultural. I would say Brighton is the former but not the latter.

Agree.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having visited many a town and city in this country, like many others here, I have much concluded that Brighton has a different standing where attitudes and outlooks are concerned. This is experience and not judgement.

The word 'diverse' is much abused, and Brighton is more about acceptance than toleration. The atmosphere of the town is different, people who might be seen as 'different' or on the margins of society are comfortable in their lives. The area holds a wide range of political views, religions, an acceptance that sexuality is fluid. There are so many different arts, creative pursuits and musical themes. The block of flats I live in is full of different nationalities, it encourages me, it does not disturb me in the slightest. Somehow Brighton makes me feel more 'international'. Clearly it's not for everyone, but it will remain.

For me, it's all summed up by a visit to a bar a friend took me to many years ago. At first it seemed like an unusual place. There were straight couples having a drink before heading on for the evening, a few individuals just having a drink with their mates, and some gay folk either staying for the night or pre-clubbing-there was a huge mix, not at all polarized. I was chatting at the bar when a transvestite, about 70, who looked like Norman Wisdom in a wig and satin number. introduced himself, explaining that he hadn't seen me before. I told him it was my first time in this bar and said how everyone in the place seemed comfortable with themselves and the environment. "I love coming here", he said, "It's the only place I feel I can be myself". It was when he walked away that I realised how proud I was to be a Brightonian.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
CFTVES1UEAIDT5d.jpg

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Yet, where's the evidence that Brighton's at ease with different countries and cultures?

Language schools?

I guess nowadays this doesn't seem like different cultures, wasn't that long ago that it did though.

As for the cosmopolitan thing, wasn't that a nice way of saying gay friendly?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

Plymouth is a very unique place, with a large student and military population, combining with a very working class population (although that demographic is rapidly changing). Even though Portsmouth has a similar amount of the three splits, they feel very different to each other- having lived in Plymouth for 3 years as a student, I never ever felt threatened (possibly because my uncle was a sergeant in the marines and either got me into "off limit" pubs or advised me to steer well clear). And yet Portsmouth feels very different, very dangerous at times, the feeling that it could kick off anywhere at any time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here