Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many premiership players were in our starting line up today?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I saw 11, they earned the right to be called premier league this year and arguably last too. I feel the hurt that we all feel following today's disappointment but Christ on a bike, had Brizzle been where we are today we would have expected no less for our team to rain on their parade as they did ours. They fought for their cause, got their goal and spent the rest of the game spoiling apart from a couple of skirmishes and we just could not break them down. It happens we move on to Villa and try again, just wished I could have got a ticket.

If the club has said goodbye come 1st September to a couple of those who have earned the right, would you consider that they've been mistreated by not being part of it?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
This is going to be one long post:

Stockdale (if we can keep him), Duffy, Dunk, Goldson, Hunemeier, Pocognoli (hopefully we can sign him permanently (hopefully on a free)), Stephens (if we can keep him), Knockaert (if he can keep his composure and not sulk when we're not playing well and losing), March & Murray are all good enough imho.

Sidwell has experience, but I'm not sure if we're gonna keep him on.
Bruno would probably make the step up, but he will be 37 by the end of the season and surely eventually his age will catch up with him (I hope it doesn't, he's usually immense & he's a club legend now), I also don't think he'll be first choice.
Rosenior has some experience, but again I don't think he'll be first choice.
I'm not sure if we'll keep Bong.
I think Baldock will surprise his critics and be at least a good option off the bench, but I don't think we'll be playing 4-4-2 very often next season.
If Kayal is King Kayal of last season he'll be good enough, but from this season I'm not so sure (I know he's been injured so he may come back to his best after a pre season).

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure if Skalak, Hemed, Murphy, Towell, Lualua & Norwood will make the step up or not. I can see at least one of them leaving in the summer.

So, if we can keep Stockdale and Stephens and sign Pocognoli, I'd say we need to sign a fullback, a central midfielder, maybe even two CMs, one or two wingers, a CAM/number 10 as I think we'll be playing 4-5-1 although my hunch could be completely wrong, and one or two Strikers imho.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is going to be one long post:

Stockdale (if we can keep him), Duffy, Dunk, Goldson, Hunemeier, Pocognoli (hopefully we can sign him permanently (hopefully on a free)), Stephens (if we can keep him), Knockaert (if he can keep his composure and not sulk when we're not playing well and losing), March & Murray are all good enough imho.

Sidwell has experience, but I'm not sure if we're gonna keep him on.
Bruno would probably make the step up, but he will be 37 by the end of the season and surely eventually his age will catch up with him (I hope it doesn't, he's usually immense & he's a club legend now), I also don't think he'll be first choice.
Rosenior has some experience, but again I don't think he'll be first choice.
I'm not sure if we'll keep Bong.
I think Baldock will surprise his critics and be at least a good option off the bench, but I don't think we'll be playing 4-4-2 very often next season.
If Kayal is King Kayal of last season he'll be good enough, but from this season I'm not so sure (I know he's been injured so he may come back to his best after a pre season).

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure if Skalak, Hemed, Murphy, Towell, Lualua & Norwood will make the step up or not. I can see at least one of them leaving in the summer.

So, if we can keep Stockdale and Stephens and sign Pocognoli, I'd say we need to sign a fullback, a central midfielder, maybe even two CMs, one or two wingers, a CAM/number 10 as I think we'll be playing 4-5-1 although my hunch could be completely wrong, and one or two Strikers imho.

I think very similarly and all those signings are necessary in the ideal world. Some might be on loan so won't break the bank. I would keep Murray as reserve target man striker.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I think very similarly and all those signings are necessary in the ideal world. Some might be on loan so won't break the bank. I would keep Murray as reserve target man striker.

I think all four of our CBs are good enough for the Premier League, so that's probably one area where we won't have to strengthen.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
But the club will see departures, it's football. The club won't and can't act benevolenty retaining all players out of loyalty whilst buying five more. No club does that, it's unviable.

Of course I expect there will be 1-2 in defence, midfield and upfront (COG/Akpom), think we'll need to replace each of those as well as another keeper or two if Stockdale leaves.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
With respect, go **** your mother you ****ing ****.

So you were happy with that steaming turd served up today? With respect maybe you should go phuck your father you tw@at.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Keep;
Stockdale, Bruno, Hünemeier, Dunk, Stephens, Kayal, Knockaert, Pocognoli, Murray, Goldson, March, Duffy, Rosenior, Walton.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I counted only Stockdale, Dunk, Knockaert and Stephens. Duffy would have made it 5. March was on the bench. Is Murphy good enough? The manager doesn't seem to think so. It's going to be a busy summer............

Are you basing this on just today's performance? If so. even Knocky wouldn't make it. Stockdale and Stephens could leave as they are out of contract, which leaves... Dunk. OK (not sure why we bothered).

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Watching on Sky today the commentator said that Brighton's average age was 29 the oldest in the division. But I suppose Sidwell, Murray & Bruno would account for most of that. The others are still to reach their peak.

When I saw the starting line up couldn't understand why March didn't start ahead of Skalak and why Bong was ahead of Rosenior & Pocognoli.
I think Bruno is good for one more season, so my calculation would be (assuming the club hang on to the better players)is to recruit a left back and a striker. Plus a holding midfielder & Right back for cover.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I reckon we should transfer list the whole lot and start again, that'll do it.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Those 5 are about right as starters though I like Poc if we can sign him.

We have plenty of excellent Prem bench players though and exceptional depth which is what got us up. But yeah we do need those 5-6 elite signings as any team would.

At least unlike most we shouldn't have to bring in a bunch of past it journeymen on huge contracts to fill out our squad as we are sorted behind the first 11

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
With respect, go **** your mother you ****ing ****.

What are you, 12? There's no need for abuse like that. People are quite rightly pissed off with that performance yesterday.

I see your location is Sheffield, maybe you need to move.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Possibly Knockaert, Stephens and Murray if his legs haven't gone? The rest are well short, we need to keep Tomori if possible? March is another possible, but not 100% convincing.

Abrahams should be a target for us.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
8. Some had an off day. A couple of poor performances doesn't change what these players have achieved over 2 seasons.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm guessing much of our squad will be there next season. Why wouldn't they be ? Virtually all of them are tied down to long contracts or probably soon will be (Stockdale, Stephens, Sidwell, Bong).

We'll get new "quality" players but not many and they will be replacing fringe or loan players in the squad. - COG, Lua Lua, Manu, Forren, Tomori, Ince, Towell, and Akpom

Assuming we can hang on to Knockaert, Dunk and Stephens that is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here