Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Scally, Gillingham's BHA saviour

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Once we were back at Withdean, a Director of Albion's new Board informed me that Scally was, words to the effect, a thoroughly umpleasant :tosser: . Scally exploited a situation when the Albion was in its knees.

Karma - look at divergent paths of the two clubs.
THIS

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
So, last night in a situation I have little excuse for, I find myself, a lifelong BHA supporter, in jacket and tie as the boardroom guest of CPFC before the game vs Spurs. Slicing into my juicy steak I am suddenly joined by Paul Scally, Gillingham chairman for many a year. On revealing my true allegiance I am told that rather than having been an accomplice of Bellotti, and therefore arch-enemy of BHA, he was actually our friend and saviour as he was the only chairman to offer us a ground in our darkest hour, thereby almost single-handedly saving us from going out of business. For his pains he tells me he was abused by BHA supporters and even sent through the post an explosive device, actually a genuine maiming device but with its wires embedded in a dead seagull! At this point, slightly embarrassed, and wishing all the more I had not attended this event, I apologized​ as a representative of BHA supporters that he, a true ally of BHA, had been subjected to such abuse, and tried to re-launch myself back into my now withering steak. Perhaps sensing my awkwardness he offered that Tony Bloom has recently thanked him for being a part of our success story. They were indeed dark days but in the interest of redemption in now much happier times I want to here laud maybe one of the unsung heroes of BHA success.

More importantly, hope you had your driver leave a jobby on the floor, and sprayed another up the wall, of the toilets

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So, last night in a situation I have little excuse for, I find myself, a lifelong BHA supporter, in jacket and tie as the boardroom guest of CPFC before the game vs Spurs. Slicing into my juicy steak I am suddenly joined by Paul Scally, Gillingham chairman for many a year. On revealing my true allegiance I am told that rather than having been an accomplice of Bellotti, and therefore arch-enemy of BHA, he was actually our friend and saviour as he was the only chairman to offer us a ground in our darkest hour, thereby almost single-handedly saving us from going out of business. For his pains he tells me he was abused by BHA supporters and even sent through the post an explosive device, actually a genuine maiming device but with its wires embedded in a dead seagull! At this point, slightly embarrassed, and wishing all the more I had not attended this event, I apologized​ as a representative of BHA supporters that he, a true ally of BHA, had been subjected to such abuse, and tried to re-launch myself back into my now withering steak. Perhaps sensing my awkwardness he offered that Tony Bloom has recently thanked him for being a part of our success story. They were indeed dark days but in the interest of redemption in now much happier times I want to here laud maybe one of the unsung heroes of BHA success.

I am sorry, Paul Scally isn't held in particularly high regard even in Gillingham these days. A rewriting of history me thinks.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Regarding the 'dead seagull device', surely if true that would have been all over the press at the time!

I can confirm the dead seagull part of the story, but not the explosive device. My late brother ("Veggie Postie Dave") sent it, or at least he had a dead seagull and a cardboard tube addressed to Mr Scally at his place one evening. He assured me he united these two items and put them in the post. At the time, I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do, but as it had such an obvious impact on Mr Scally....

One of the many reasons I wish Dave were still here and would be taking his seat next to mine on Saturday evening.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

A couple of points here, what on earth were you doing accepting an invitation to dine a that shithole anyway? I can't think of any reason why I would feel this was acceptable and secondly Scally is and has always been a complete tosser whose only concern was to get £300k for his shite club for us to play at Gillingham's dilapidated stadium.
You are extremely naive for going in the first place and for believing the shite that spurts from Scally's mouth!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here